RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 24-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:
I'm not too sure if this should go here so yeh. Out of date bacon eating, bad idea?

So, being a poor uni student and all, I had a packet of unopened bacon in my fridge. The use by date was the 15th of November but I cooked it anyway and ate it and it was nommy.
But now I'm scared I'll get out of date meat poisoning so I need a bit of advice on this.
Mainly being: Will I have made myself get ill or not?
Other useful info that you might need to know is that I am on 400mg of cyclosporin (an immunosuppressant) for my psoriasis so I am not sure if this will effect anything.

But basically I'm a bit concerned because it was so out of date and I can't really afford to be ill right now and just want to know what you guys think for my own peace of mind.
Yes, I am a nonce and No, I will not do it again.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Old 24-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
NeverBetter
dont worry ;it only hurts when i breathe

I am currently:

sometime supermarkets but cell by date on packets but it doesnt actually go out of date till couple days later just to cover their backs so you cant sue them
but just encase if u feel slighlt poorly get checked out sweetie

young girl its alright your tears will soon dry your soon be free to fly

she's falling from grace , she's all over the place..............

Old 24-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Liar.
//bee

I am currently:

I'd say there is a very good chance that your life is on the line right now, Flem...
Soz.

Close your eyes so you don't feel them,
they don't need to see you cry....

Old 24-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
GoldDustReturnz
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

FLEM
You are going to die.
I'm sorry. *pets*

Old 24-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

That's what I thought. Best to check though.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Old 26-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

If I dissappear then at least you guys will know that it was out of date meat poisoning that got me in the end. Make sure people know that.

Old 26-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Melchior
Wound Care Advisor

Okay, how are you feeling now?

Bacon is a little tough to determine when it is spoilt, it can appear normal and smell/taste normal. Cooking temperatures are not always high enough to kill bacteria. However, bacon is extremely high in sodium, which is a preservative.

What happens when meat spoils is bacteria grows in and on the meat which is what makes you sick. It can take a few days for the bacteria to grow and develop and make you sick. Watch how you feel over the next few days, if you begin feeling rather ill, such as throwing up, then you may want to get yourself checked out.

Short answer, watch yourself and it's a bit too early to tell if you're going to be in danger yet.

Old 27-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Meat can still be eaten after the date on the packet without any ill effects, however as said you just need to watch out chances are you will be fine.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Old 27-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Cazki
14/6/2007 -

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel View Post
Meat can still be eaten after the date on the packet without any ill effects, however as said you just need to watch out chances are you will be fine.
I disagree you should never eat anything that is out of date let alone meat. They have dates for a reason and its not worth taking the risk.

14/06/2007 -

Old 27-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
Melchior
Wound Care Advisor

In most cases the date on the packet is the 'sell by' date not the 'will make you ill if eaten beyond' date. That said, bacon is also a unique meat in that it has so much salt that it's like a preservative in itself.

All in all, try to eat your meat in the future by the date posted just to be safe.

Old 27-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Animad

Right, I disagree with the fact that meats can be eaten after the dates on the packet, saying that can be quite dangerous. Yes, sometimes there is some leeway but not always and it depends how quickly things spoil and as well, if that is said on such as here and people then do that and it comes back to here then it could land us in a lot of trouble and worse, the person could be really ill.

In short, a USE BY date should ALWAYS be followed as those are things that spoil quickly and have bacteria in them that themselves or the toxins they create can cause a lot of damage. A BEST BEFORE date is just as said, the food is best eaten if eat before this but if eaten after it is usually only the food quality which is reduced. However, with anything with meats/ eggs in them then this should be kept to really unless they were frozen before this date (and they were suitable for freezing). A SELL BY date is different again as that's when the shops need to get rid of it by. These will usually have a use by or best before date also with them and often if things have a sell by date then they should be eaten within a day or 2 after that date if no other date is set; unless they were frozen on or before this date and again were suitable for this.

In answer to the above question, really you should look out for any signs of stomach upset. If you get these and they last more than a couple of days or are serious you need to go to a doctor and tell them about this. However, I would refrain from doing this in the future. If worst comes to the worst ask mates if they've got some food you can borrow or something and if you're not sure when it's going to be eaten then look in the shops for the ones with the longest date on which are usually right at the back of the shelf. It's always worthwhile just having pasta/ noodles in stock or having things in the freezer so then at least you can eat these if things have gone out of date and you're still getting food into you.

If you do get a stomach upset and have diarrhoea then keeping yourself hydrated is one of the best things you can do and as well as that buying some Immodium (generic name= Loperamide and it is cheaper just buying home brand products containing Loperamide) and see if that helps.

Old 28-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #12
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Thank you all for the information. I am not going to make a habit of it, it was just that it was a new packet and I felt bad throwing out a whole packet and buying more. I will keep an eye out if I start feeling sick or get the sh*ts or whatnot.
I did have other food, it's just that I thought that as it was already out of date then I should eat it so yeh.
In future I will be more careful and make sure to eat things I buy before they go out of date so I don't have this problem again.
But yeah. Thank you all so much for your help on this matter.

Old 28-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
The Hierophant

I feel your pain Flem.
I did this in second year.
Except it was a joint of beef >.<

Old 28-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

^ Oh thats not fun!
I feel a bit iffy today, like my stomach aches so if it carries on tomorrow I'll go to the doctor or something but I recon that it will just pass, these things genrally pass through my system quickly so yeh.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)