RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
JustAnotherPerson

I am currently:
Teachers and Bullying

Being treated differently from everybody else in your class by a teacher.
In other words can teachers "bully" their pupils?

I'm sorry, but I don't want to go around saying, "Oh and by the way my teacher is bullying me." only to recieve people laughing and saying, "teachers don't / can't bully".

Last SH - 03/02/08

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

My mum:
dereksarah

JustAnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Kanzi

I am currently:

They definitely can and do. I think it's natural for teachers to have certain students who they favour and those who they don't care for as much, but because of their position they are obligated to treat everyone fairly. Now that certainly doesn't happen all the time, unfortunately.

If you believe your teacher is bullying you I would make sure to keep track of specific examples and then bring it to the attention of someone higher up, such as the headmaster/principle. If you have sufficient proof then nobody should laugh or deny the facts.

Best of luck!

-Keeley

Kanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Babe, teachers can most definately bully pupils. Out of interest, is there anyone else in your class who notices this? If so then they can help back you up (witnesses always help), at anyrate keep a diary/log of all the incidents exactly what was said etc etc

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Stellata

Yes, teachers can bully. And they can bully other teachers, too. It's happened to me. [and students can bully teachers, but that's an whole other story...]
Teaching large numbers of young people means there will undoubtedly be control and power issues in play, and in some teachers, who for whatever reason have authority issues, this can lead to them bullying students.
Which doesn't make it right. At all.
Please tell another member of staff you trust, they can start off the procedure to deal with it for you.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
JustAnotherPerson

I am currently:

Yes. Other people have noticed. In fact, the whole class has noticed, I hear people talking about it, and telling their friends about it - almost in a jokey manner, but to be honest, it's got past being funny. When it started, yes, it was kind of amusing, sarcastic comments, little jokes, but now, yeah, it's not funny anymore.
I hope to talk to somebody about it on Monday when I go back to school after half term. The head of that department. Gah, it just seems kind of silly that a 17 year old is going to almost acuse somebody of bullying her. Bullying seems so primary school. *sigh*
Thank you for all your comments etc.
xx

Last SH - 03/02/08

My mum:
dereksarah

Old 20-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Queer Fringe
Why is the rum always gone?

I am currently:

My teacher bullied me. I spoke up and now he's great! I speak to him about issues and stuff. He's my head of year too so I had to go to the deupty headteacher to get help about it...Let us know how it goes monday?
Take Care
xx

Queer Fringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Stellata

Bullying isn't confined to age, unfortunately.

I hope it works out for you. It is not funny, at all.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
JustAnotherPerson

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queer Fringe View Post
My teacher bullied me. I spoke up and now he's great! I speak to him about issues and stuff. He's my head of year too so I had to go to the deupty headteacher to get help about it...Let us know how it goes monday?
Take Care
xx
I shall.
I also hope to talk to him about some other stuff too. Apparently he's a trained counsellor (sp?) Then I can hopefully explain the real reason I haven't been turning up to all my lessons and explain the fact that this teacher isn't exactly helping with me giving up the SH. But whether or not I've got the guts to tell him I SH is a different story. =/

Last SH - 03/02/08

My mum:
dereksarah

Old 20-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
abba12
Peeking out from behind the barrier

I am currently:

teachers bullying me are the reason i ended up leaving school. id always been treated differantly, and then after a parent teacher meeting at which my mum complained about them they took me down to the staff room and began to interogate me, yell at me, call me a liar and tell me i wans tallowed to tell my mum things from school. they terrified me, i couldnt go back into a school. even now, i tremble when i get near a schoolyard

teachers can bully worse than children, because they have superiority

Live to Dream and Dream to Live
A flash in the dark
Of a blade so clean
Memories of remorse
Thoughts left unseen
We can do this in time, we can be free
(Was written in late 2006. Now, finally, early 2008, I really am free, and it feels amazing)

abba12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
UnforgivableCrime
My worst crime, is lying about my lesser ones.

I am currently:

Good luck with monday, let us know how it goes *Hugs*

I went through the opposite in school, but it had the same effect on me as it did on you. Teachers thaught me to be trustworthy and resbonsible. If I forgot homework they would give me an extension, and give others who'd forgotten theirs detention. When a teacher asked a question, they assumed I knew the answer, saying things like "Well, Emily's bound to know the answer, care to tell us Miss Williams?" They'd always send me to other teachers with messages and stuff.
Silly as it sounds, I hated it. I wanted to be normal. I wanted to be told off, and given detention, but I never did. That was one of the reasons I left, along with being bullied for being the 'Teacher's Pet'.

I'm ranting, sorry

My scars remind me that the past is real.
I tear my heart open just to feel.

UnforgivableCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Imperfect
Imperfect

I am currently:

I was bullied quite badly by my English teacher for about 2 years.
I hated her, and I still do.
It only stopped when the school removed me from the class after I ran away from school one day. She wasn't punished for it or anything.
I was singled out by a lot of teachers by the way I dressed and my attitude. But that didn't give them the right to treat me the way they did. If it were up to me they'd have all been fired. But alas, it wasn't up to me.

Xoxo

"I promise that I shall never give up,
and that I'll die yelling and laughing"

- Jack Kerouac

Imperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #12
JustAnotherPerson

I am currently:

So today I spoke to the Head of Department about it, he wasn't on the teachers side, but he wasn't on mine either. He was in the middle, he listened to everything I said, and said that he'd talk to the teacher about it, and that I should go back to him if it continues / gets worse. I guess that's okay really, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more than that.
I also told him about the self harm, he didn't say much, all he said was that he's got to tell some other person about it, the "child protecton officer" or something. Gah, it's all progress I guess.
xx

Last SH - 03/02/08

My mum:
dereksarah

Old 26-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
abba12
Peeking out from behind the barrier

I am currently:

hon...
i dont want to scare you, but do your parents know about the self harm?
if you tell a teacher, and youre under 18, they must legally inform your parents, or someone at child protection who will inform your parents...
if they know, thats fine, but if they dont... well i dont want you to suddenly get the phone call one day unprepared.

*hugs* im glad you got a neutural opinion on it, maybe they will help. my teachers always stuck together

Live to Dream and Dream to Live
A flash in the dark
Of a blade so clean
Memories of remorse
Thoughts left unseen
We can do this in time, we can be free
(Was written in late 2006. Now, finally, early 2008, I really am free, and it feels amazing)

abba12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

hey babe, a neutral opinion is good because it means that person will be objective about dealing with it...please don't feel dissapointed by it

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
JustAnotherPerson

I am currently:

Yeah, I'm feeling a bit more positive about it today I think.
And yes, I told my parents about the self harm just over a week ago, my biggest fear was them finding out about it second hand so I figured I needed to tell them about it at some point.
And thank you, again, for all your lovely replies.
xx

Last SH - 03/02/08

My mum:
dereksarah

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)