RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
alltheordinarypeople

Does this count?

I'm going to include an attachment here, since what I have to say is very long. It was originally something I had written just so I could get it off my chest. It is written as if I was addressing my sister about what we went through, and talks about my douchiness towards her as a kid.

If you don't want to read the link, the gist is when I was younger my father used to back hand us for doing things he didn't like. We were well behaved kids, so we mostly got hit for being sassy or talking back. We also get pushed around sometimes. I don't remember any serious injuries, or even bruises although I know my sister got bruises. The worst I received was a split lip from being smacked on the mouth. These happened a lot, though never in front of my mother or other siblings in some cases. He can be very cruel, but he can sometimes be a very caring father.

I need to know if this counts as abuse. Just for validation purposes I guess. Sometimes I feel so selfish obsessing over my childhood when others had it much worse
Attached Files
File Type: doc yoyo.doc (38.0 KB, 12 views)

alltheordinarypeople is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Miss Reena
Still Alive

I am currently:

I just want to quickly say that many fathers grow up with that being an acceptable form of punishment. Quick pain was usually viewed as better than a long list of chores. If your mother didn't condone of it though, perhaps it was a bit too harsh. My brother got slapped a lot as a teenager because he might get suspended or fired for doing the same things at school or work, so your father probably had your best interests in his mind, at least (I say probably because I don't know the full situation).

Whatever the conclusion is, don't feel selfish! Just because one thing is worse doesn't mean everything else isn't bad. I can only suggest reconciling with your father and just asking him why he does those things - and add that you'll try your best to understand. No one is flawless and he might very well have regrets.

Best of luck whatever you do :)

"Another day when you drain yourself completely could be the night when your life ends."
"Well if you wanted honestly, that's all you had to say."
"I just want to get out of this prison cell; someday I'm gonna be free..."
"The stars, the moon, they have all been blown out..."
"If I scream, if I cry, it's only 'cause I feel alive."
"How can you be so flawless?"

Miss Reena is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)