RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:
Mildly Triggering (ED) - telling a teacher

I'm struggling a lot with purging at the moment and it's getting in the way of school work, which i really need to focus on. I was thinking of talking to a teacher to see if i could get help within school, to try and stop, but was wondering if it's likely my parents will get informed (i'm 17)? and also have anyone here told a teacher about related issues and how did that go? did it help?
thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

And sail away these faces we hide behind
Cutting through the airwaves
Open up our minds
Show ourselves to the world tonight
Cause we are.. No longer in disguise ♫

lisaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Schleier von Dunst
Let the music express the unexpressable.

I am currently:

As far as I'm aware, the teachers have to get your permission to tell your parents. They'd do it if they felt you were a danger to yourself. But they are allowed to tell a member of staff in higher authority to themselves so that they can decide on the best course of action.

I think it's really brave, that you're thinking about telling a teacher. You could also tell them that you're worried that your parents will find out, and what can the teacher do?

Das Leben ich(The life of me)

Schleier von Dunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

If you're in Britian, they legally should tell your parents as they still have duty of care, even though you're over 16.

However, if you want to risk it, there is a chance they wont. Different teachers knew about my different issues from the ages of 14 - 18 (not by my choice mainly, but there we go) and my parents were never informed.

As for how it went, as I said, I never really todl a teacher directly. The only time it did she really helped for a while, but that ended badly (more becuase of her own issues than mine). Other teachers who knew in other ways woudln't talk to me directly about it (becuase then they really would have to tell my parnets) but they let me know they were there, and their door was always open; it gave me somewhere quiet to go and hide at lunchtime. As logn as you fidn the right teacher, i woudl recomend it, but you have to remember they've not had training for this, their reactions will be human and (often) maternal.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
finallylivinglifex

I am currently:

*hugs*

Live life to the fullest, smiling

finallylivinglifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:

thank you guys for your replys :)
i really donh't know if i'm going to go through with it but i think i need to tell someone, i really want this to end and i know its not going to go away by itself and if i want to get the grades i need i could do without this taking up all my time. yeah it is in britain so if my parents have to be told by law that's a worry :/ it would tear them apart and i can't do that, i'm their little baby. tbh i think i'm going to end up telling no one but atleast i have good intent i spose? maybe a friend but all my friends ( i don't really have many) have their own problems to deal with and i don't want to add to them. sorry this has become a bit of a ramble but yeah thanks guys :) and i'll sort something out.
hugs to you alll xxxxxxx

Open up our minds

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I was 17 when I told and because of the way I approached it, my family was not informed. I was very honest, told them I was looking for help in my own way and I just needed their support. They were fine about it.

To be honest, they're very likely to respond the same way. They have a duty to act in your best interests so as long as you talk to them in an adult way, you'll get he support you want.

Even if they do tell your parents, what's your fear? That they'll react badly? In all honesty, them finding out this way would be better than them finding out when they have to come get you from hospital... you say you're their little girl... they love you... they care.

*hugs*

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:

thank you guys for the answers :)
i think one of the main reasons i don't want to get my parents involved is because i would add a lot of stress at home and make things worse rather than better. Meaculpa i like how you said talking to them in an adult manner really helped in getting treated in the way you wanted, i may try that if i do decide to say anything.
thanks everyone again! xx

Open up our minds

Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
raraoohlala

Hi, I am struggling with anorexia since february. i told a teacher who was incredibly suuportive and helpful, but she was worried about me and told a school counsellor, who did not help at all, and told my parents a month later. So I personally think it may help, but chances are your parents will be informed if your are in danger of harming yourself or others.
good luck

raraoohlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
lawzylaus
Tinkerbell :)

I am currently:

I think it's incredibly brave that you are even considering it and so I admire you for that as I wish I could x

lawzylaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)