RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I honestly don't think the 2 things are comparable... I mean I feel that they are both things that ou can't really fully comprehend unless you go through them anyway, so the only people who would even come close to being able to compare would be someone who had experianced both...

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
Damaged Goods

it scared me

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #23
Shatterproof
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional :)

I am currently:

I get what the advert was trying to do, but rape and MND are two completely different things. They're both devastating but for completely different reasons. To compare the two in any way is just not right.

All the world's a stage,
and all men and women merely players.

Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Shatterproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #24
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

I think the point of it was to shock and upset people. Its a terrible disease that kills alot of people. It upset me and made me think about it, so I think it did its job to be honest.
I mean, this disease DOES "assault" and "violate" people. It literally does "strip them" from thier previous life as it really did show.
I dont think they should sugar coat it. But i guess it might just be my opinion. I mean they have commercials about EDs which show scary thin people on tv.
I watched it before I read the comments and to be honest.. i didnt think about rape. The two things are so uncomparable that it didnt cross my mind. when it showed the head of the wheel chair i thought...head of the wheel chair, i didnt think it resembled a phallus.
I mean, it was slightly graphic, maybe they could have toned it down a bit, or had words at the beginning letting the audience know it was for a MND or something. It prob could have benefitted from that, I agree

Last edited by eyes.wide.open : 13-07-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added somethign

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
*phantom*
Gotta keep your face up.

I am currently:

i found it distressing to watch.
but i guess to convey something like a disease, maybe you need something like that?

*phantom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

I didn't find it triggering. I did not see the idea that the woman was being raped or sexually assaulted in any way. To me the entire thing made sense, knowing it was about MND.

I found it more creepy than anything, like watching a scene from a horror flick, and now I will probably have nightmares.

Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
someoneiusedtoknow
O

I am currently:

I don't think the advert was meant to look like rape, I just think a lot of you are managing to make a terrible disease all about you and whether you're 'triggered'.

Again.

Maybe you should all think about the message the advert was communicating instead of whether it offends you?

God.

someoneiusedtoknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #28
shadow-light

I am currently:

I don;t disagree witht he advert... I ust think that it would be better if they put at the begining what it was... I don't think that they intentionally made it look like rape, and the main reason I put it here was that I was curious if others saw it or if my perceptions were being altered by my past.
I just personally thing that rae or not it's a fairly distressing advert and it could benefit from saying what it was about at the start rather than only at the end as many people may tune out by the end due to the nuture of it and therefore never actually know what it's about... which would sort of defeat the object of the advert

Old 25-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #29
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
I don't think the advert was meant to look like rape, I just think a lot of you are managing to make a terrible disease all about you and whether you're 'triggered'.

Again.

Maybe you should all think about the message the advert was communicating instead of whether it offends you?

God.
But if people find it distressing and offensive then surely the message it is aiming to communicate is lost?

I don't think people are making it "all about" themselves. However obviously people's experiences affects their view of the world greatly, obviously along the recovery process hopefully their experiences will taint their future less and less, but I don't really think you can insinuate that people are selfish for being reminded of something distressing in their past.

After all by saying "again" your experience of this thread is obviously being tainted by previous experiences on RYL.Everyone's lives are informed by their past, it's human nature.

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #30
mmmMinty...
lololololol

I am currently:

It helped that I knew what it was about before I watched it, but if I hadn't known it was about MND I would have been a lot more triggered and I think thats where the problem is - I automatically thought of rape before I thought of disease and the two are totally different. Maybe my perceptions have been distorted by my experiences but a lot of other peoples might be too and it was obviously upsetting to more than just people on ryl because it was banned, and though its meant to be shocking to get its point across, to people who are more vulnerable to that sort of thing, it could be a bit too much. I guess though, to someone who hasn't experienced anything remotely similar, you've got to get the feeling across and there's no reason for them to sugar coat this disease just because it upsets people...to understand properly something like that, I guess you have to be shocked.
So I dunno. Personally, I found it pretty disturbing, but it definitely did its job.

mmmMinty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #31
Freya
Bow chicka wow woww (used to be OverYou)

I am currently:

Not sure what u mean by finding it triggering but it's too scary, it's too shocking for TV. YES awareness is important but there are softer ways to go about it, I feel this advert would actually have the opposite effect and alienate people from the cause. I didn't like watching it at all.

"I grew up in Slough in the 1970's. If you want to know what Slough was like back then, go there now." -Jimmy carr

"Swimming is good for you. Speshly if you're drowning" - Jimmy carr

Me: Mum what are you doing for ur 20th anniversary?
Mum: BIG party time! .. Dunno what your dads doing.

Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #32
spongebob

when i first saw it i thought that that they got the name wrong because it looked like a phantom abuser type thing.

i think that it should be allowed on tv but maybe after a certain time like when they have new horror films out they play down ones through the day and show scarey bits after 9pm.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
Alcohol Induced Altruism
Cheap Beauty

I am currently:

The only issue I have with it is that when I started watching it I had no idea what MND was, and when I finished watching it I still didn't have the slightest clue.

What's the point in "conveying the emotional and physical impact of a diagnosis of MND" if I don't even know what it is I am meant to be empathising with?

Hunger only for a taste of justice, hunger only for a world of truth, for all that you have is your soul.
I love BarrelO'Crazy

Alcohol Induced Altruism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #34
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

^ yeah that makes sense

they should have a bit explaining it

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #35
Dan
Beyond Repair.

I am currently:

I think the advert is good. Shocking always works, it has no links, and looks nothing like rape.

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #36
Merc

looking for it and its not on youtube anymore so i cant say anything...
but accusing ppl of making it 'all about them' is a bit ott. I find movies with 'rape' scenes very difficult to watch, does that mean i'm making it all about me or simply reacting to somethign that is disturbing and doesnt need to be shown?
I understand the 'value' of shock..but it is taken too far so much...but hey, what do i know?
It sells right?!

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #37
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

^ Romp, I think that the point was that it actually wasn't anything to do with rape or abuse, it was about the dehabilitating effect of the illness; but that people saw into it what they wanted to see/what their experiences have lead them to assume.

I don't know if that's true or not, but that's how I interpreted it.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #38
Merc

I hope that is how the comment was intended...
I can only go by what ppl here have said about it as i did not see it, so perhaps rape would not have been my first impression, i don't know.
But it is sad that the only way they felt they could project/convey their intended image was thru a (possible) 'rape' image/scenario...
says alot about viewers/target audiences doesn't it?

(edit to add: i understand they wanted to show how it robs you of your life...couldnt they have shown that thru the loss of job/family/possessions etc? Couldn't the 'message' have been the same? Ppl here have said they didn't know what it was about as it was so shocking etc, maybe less 'shock value' and more information?)

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #39
shadow-light

I am currently:

there was no dirrect link to rape, but the way the woman was getting thrown about with no explanation... well it was the first place my brain went, especially when her clothing flew off...

when it got to the end and MND came up I then knew what it was and it made sense, but before that nothing had said anything about what it was which leaves it to peoples interpretations... and unfortuantly violence and rape are the first places my mind goes when there is no other explanations for things like this... but that's my problem so we'll ignore it :P

basically I just think MND should flash up at the start, or there should be information explaining the represented symptoms/loss of dignity throughout rather than letting peoples minds wonder and get confused

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow-light View Post
there was no dirrect link to rape, but the way the woman was getting thrown about with no explanation... well it was the first place my brain went, especially when her clothing flew off...

when it got to the end and MND came up I then knew what it was and it made sense, but before that nothing had said anything about what it was which leaves it to peoples interpretations... and unfortuantly violence and rape are the first places my mind goes when there is no other explanations for things like this... but that's my problem so we'll ignore it :P

basically I just think MND should flash up at the start, or there should be information explaining the represented symptoms/loss of dignity throughout rather than letting peoples minds wonder and get confused
^^exactly

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)