Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:
The First Aid Board/Team

Dear all,

For various reasons, mainly due to staffing, we have decided to bring the First Aid board to a close. The board will remain in existence so that old threads may be used to seek advice, but no new threads will be able to be made, and there will not be a First Aid team.

The implications of this will be that RYL cannot be used to seek any kind of medical advice. Questions relating to this should be directed either to your own doctor or to a medical helpline service such as 111. If in doubt, always get it checked out!

The rules that existed on the First Aid board that are still relevant elsewhere (e.g. giving details of wounds) will still stand, though these will eventually be incorporated into the new shiny RYL rules (watch this space!)

We hope to update the wound care guide at some point so that this can be a useful resource for answering wound-related queries.

Thank you to all members who have been part of the First Aid team in the past and those who have posted in First Aid threads with advice.

Jenna
On behalf of the First Aid Team

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I just want to say a huge thank you to the First Aid team over the last ten years. There has been many changes and many of them haven't been online in a long time but it has at points been a vital and vibrant part of the community.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Over the years the amazing first aid team have answered so many questions and offered so much support to people- you've all done a fab job! Times change though and ultimately the board has been cause for debate before and if the staff aren't there then they aren't there! Thanks again everybody for all your input.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Whilst I understand why this was done what happens if people make first aid type posts on the board? The first aid board is public and people may join thinking that they get free first aid advice. It may be the case that we get a whole load of "why can't I post in the first aid section" type posts from newbies. They then may post questions in gsa/gc. Is it a case of such posts get deleted and therefore we should report them?

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Dawn, definitely report those as the original post states asking for medical advice is against the rules.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
not_so_insig

I am currently:

I thought that was the case but I would like the situation to be clarified by a mod.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 29-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Dawn in terms of the first aid board. The board message now says archived, the top post is a copy of this message and so I doubt we will be inundated with messages but if we are than I guess we will need to have a think. The current status quo is not safe and that is the most important point when considering the future of the board.

The first aid rules still stand as Jenna says

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 29-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Insig, what is it exactly you're asking for clarification of? As I stated in my first post, posts asking for first aid advice aren't allowed anywhere on RYL now. First aid questions were never allowed in general chat or GSA, so nothing's changed there.

Old 29-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

As I mentioned, we're keeping the board because threads may prove helpful to people searching for advice.

The first thread in the board will be my thread saying that's it's closed, so it should be fairly clear. I guess I could change the title to 'Closure Of The First Aid Bosrd', if there was an influx of frustrated new members confused by the situation.

Old 29-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Fair enough

I did it on the hoof yesterday

My brain is shattered and all I can think of is the dearly departed first aid board

Old 30-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #11
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Jenna Carmen has pretty much explained it all.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 30-11-2016 at 01:40 AM.

Old 30-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Just a thought perhaps the description for the first aid board could read something like "this board is for information only. No new posts can be made". It seems clearer than what is present to me.

Old 30-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #13
Iamcatbug
Cat

Does this mean that any threads asking about any medical condition are banned? Or is it just the 'I have X symptom/diagnosis what should I do?' threads?

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Isoverity

I am currently:

Forum wide ED rules were always a pet peeve of mine. Essentially made all of RYL an ED board and suffocated it in substantial ways. Not that it matters now - rigor mortis already set it long ago

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I'm also confused.

I made a thread about fibro and hypermobility syndrome, and also one about a foot condition. I wasn't asking for medical advice because I've already got that, I was asking for other ideas and support in dealing with it.

Is that allowed?

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #16
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Good point.

I'd think that questions seeking moral support and helpful info about a condition - such as the two I saw about fibromyalgia and one about a mobility issue - would be allowed, but that posts seeking medical advice would not be allowed.

Tricky one to write rules for though!
Exactly this really!

And in answer to your other question, yep, the ED rules will be incorporated. Very aware that it's not an ideal set-up currently. In the first instance of rule breaking we would just PM the member to alert them to rules and let them know that they do apply everywhere, as it's completely understandable to not know that!

Jodie, if you want to ask a specific question about whether a thread would be ok, I'd recommend PMing a mod before you make it, to ask if it would be ok as there's no way to cover every possible individual case. I guess a good rule to go by would be to think where you would have posted the thread a week ago. If the answer is First Aid, then don't post it, and if the answer is anything other than First Aid, then chances are it's fine. Hope that makes sense.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post

Jodie, if you want to ask a specific question about whether a thread would be ok, I'd recommend PMing a mod before you make it, to ask if it would be ok as there's no way to cover every possible individual case. I guess a good rule to go by would be to think where you would have posted the thread a week ago. If the answer is First Aid, then don't post it, and if the answer is anything other than First Aid, then chances are it's fine. Hope that makes sense.
Would have chosen GSA not FA.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thanks to all the FAAs for their support and hard work over the years!

I'm very pleased to see the first aid board closed now though. I've always been of the opinion that RYL shouldn't have been giving any medical advice. Hopefully more people will now ring 111 or speak to a pharmacist or GP.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)