RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
Facebook admits that teens are tiring of the social network

It is official: Even Facebook admits that teens are tiring of the social network as they turn to newer 'cooler' apps such as Snapchat

Facebook has made the startling admission that teenagers are becoming bored with the social networking giant.

Facing competition from younger, more agile and 'cooler' apps such as Snapchat and Instagram, Facebook fears its long-term business could be harmed.

And as Facebook approaches its tenth anniversary the firm published its annual 10-K report last month revealing that its younger users are increasingly turning away from the multi-billion dollar business.

Published last month, the annual company report states, 'We believe that some of our users, particularly our younger users, are aware of and actively engaging with other products and services similar to, or as a substitute for, Facebook.

'For example, we believe that some of our users have reduced their engagement with Facebook in favor of increased engagement with other products and services such as Instagram.

In the event that our users increasingly engage with other products and services, we may experience a decline in user engagement and our business could be harmed.'

The sobering admission that they need to sharpen their public image comes as Facebook Director of Product Blake Ross announced in scathing terms why he was leaving the social networking powerhouse.

'I’m leaving because a Forbes writer asked his son’s best friend Todd if Facebook was still cool and the friend said no, and plus none of HIS friends think so either even Leila who used to love it, and this journalism made me reconsider the long-term viability of the company.'

Maybe because of the seriousness of his jesting post, Ross pulled the message from his Facebook page.

However, it did not divert from the fact that teenagers are very often a plausible, but non-scientific barometer for trends - especially what is cool and what is not.

Indeed, the founder and of new social networking site Branch, Josh Miller, asked his fifteen-year-old sister for her opinion on Facebook.

Her verdict was damning: 'She tries to visit Facebook as infrequently as possible,' Miller wrote, because it’s addictive, and because it’s not as fun as Instagram. 'Facebook may have an irreversibly bad brand,' Miller concluded.

Web-expert, Laura Portwood-Stacer was more concise in her opinion of how Facebook relates to today's teenagers.

'I think it has less to do with kids consciously looking for 'the next big thing' than Facebook just no longer being a space that serves them,' said Laura Portwood-Stacer.

'I think kids are less self-conscious about trying to be cool than marketers would like to think,' she added.

Teenagers are turning to sites like Tumblr and apps like Snapchat and Instagram as their preferred methods of communication.

'Tumblr is mainly my obsession as of now,' said 15-year-old Collin Wisniewski to The Verge.

'It just seems more intimate and its not really a place of bragging, but more of a place of sharing.'

Apps such as Snapchat give power to younger users who do not like the idea of their images existing forever and tagged on Facebook,

'I would say that this app really is one of my major communicating devices more than really a social network,' said Wisniewski.

However, this does not mean that teens are leaving Facebook similar in manner to the demise of MySpace.

They are simply using the service less and other newer products more.

And, of course, monetarily, Facebook owns Instagram and is still at the forefront of mobile device apps.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2Mb81XVJs

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

good. facebook is evil

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Isoverity

I am currently:

And tumblr/instagram/snapchat isn't?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

i have never used any of those.
But i know facebook is part of a government conspiracy, i dont know about the others, ive never used them.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

I don't know that the government is colluding with Facebook and Google etc. But instagram is part of FB

Instagram Is About to Start Sharing Your Data With Facebook

http://mashable.com/2013/01/18/insta...ange-kicks-in/

Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Facebook is too big to not be recruited by the government.

I was told in my safeguarding children training that once you upload a photo to facebook, then facebook owns it, legally.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
incognito

I am currently:

^ legally they do and i agree they should as you have given them that file. it sucks but it is fair

incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

It doesn't really affect me as I'm not on facebook anymore, but I was a bit surprised.

Just goes to show what you are missing in the terms and conditions. No one reads through that ****.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Rhuben
I call it dreaming... they call it madness.

I am currently:

I'd say a large part of why it has become uncool is because of market saturation, every man and their dog is on there now... literally! People used to be able to post whatever crap they wanted on there a few years ago. But now with everyone's family members joining up it's just embarrassing. You don't want to be having conversations amongst friends with your mum and nan reading them and chirping in also.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Dark Knight

Rhuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Aardvark View Post
good. facebook is evil

So are teenagers so I'm pretty happy they're backing off Facebook ;)
I'm coming across more people who don't use it i feel. I stopped for about two months and i loved it.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Embles

I am currently:

I don't use it as much because most of my family is on there, employers can look on it, while I still make it look like I'm lovely and innocent, I'd rather they didn't see!

We’ve got obsessions
I want to erase every nasty thought that bugs me every day of every week
We’ve got obsessions
You never tell me what it is that makes you strong and what it is that makes you weak.

Embles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
LizzieRose
♥ Beloved Lunatic ♫

I am currently:

I actually still find Facebook fun with the pages and the chatting with friends. I recently found out my favorite amatuer music artist, Bunny Toxick, was the admin of my favorite Pokemon page, Mewthree, the Chaos Pokemon, and we've been chatting a bit in the past couple days and he's so cool!! I'm not giving up the chance to talk to him!! He's one of my inspirations kinda!! x3

Major Depression | Asperger's Syndrome | Anxiety NOS | Hints of OCD

Close your eyes. Don't you cry. Love's around you. In time, you'll fly. Don't you worry about the dark. I will light up the night with the love in my heart. I will burn like the sun that will keep you safe and warm. Like the smell of a rose on a summer's day, I will be there to take all your fears away. With the touch of my hand, I will turn your life to GOLD!

LizzieRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)