RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-07-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
plastic rose
tough cookie.

I am currently:
BMI/Numbers/Weight Triggers - "Anorexic" weight? confused.

Mkay, I am confused.

I always thought the guideline for an Anorexic weight was a Body Mass Index 17.5 or lower. But, my psychiatrist said that it's 15% less than your lowest normal weight. So that would be 15% of 18.5 which is 15.7! Even if you round it to the nearest whole number, it's a lot less than what I thought the guideline was. So... is he right? Is that what the doctors REALLY use? Because if so, it's a lot lower than I realised, and I would be right on the borderline. I'm just curious.

Sarah. x

s a r a h
* pm me * eating disorders info *
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

plastic rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I

I am currently:

Its both - it depends on the person. 15% on me would have been a 12lb loss as i'm only small so never weighed that much really (in comparrison to someone tall - i was in promportion not thin) The loss of 12lbs wouldnt even have out me at 17.5 (about 18. something actualy) so though that wouldnt have been in an anorexic bracket it was dangerous for me to loose the 12lbs so quickly and in an unhealthy way.
So if id seen a dr they could have used the 15% to diagnose me.
Ok?
Now with you 'coz you were tiny anyway they would normaly use the 17.5 thing as an indicator of anorexia because even though thats less than a 15% decrease being under a BMI of 17.5 means your body cant function properly.

Does that make sence/answer your question?

“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----

-Tough-Cookie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
plastic rose
tough cookie.

I am currently:

Oh so you have to have LOST 15% of your NATURAL weight? That makes sense. I wasn't tiny before my ED (well nor do I think I am now but I mean even objectively I know I wasn't.) I weighed somewhere between 130-140lbs before my ED, was a size 12-14, and was curvy. So i've definitely lost more than 15% of that weight... so does that mean I fulfill that criterion? It's confusing.

s a r a h
- Lord Byron

Old 21-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
oedipus
protege-moi, protege-moi

I am currently:

I think you do ^^
x

If only you'd ever speak to me
the way you once did
look at me the way you once did
pull to me the way you once did
but you don't
you don't feel anymore
you don't care anymore
it's all gone
it's all gone

oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Starburst
After all this has passed, I still will remain

I am currently:

No it's 15% under ideal body weight for your height, age and sex. It's what they use for under 18s.

As an after thought:
I was diagnosed with anorexia even though I was having periods as I mensturate until I get as low at 6 stone.

Last edited by Starburst : 21-07-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
-Tough-Cookie-

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic rose View Post
Oh so you have to have LOST 15% of your NATURAL weight? That makes sense. I wasn't tiny before my ED (well nor do I think I am now but I mean even objectively I know I wasn't.) I weighed somewhere between 130-140lbs before my ED, was a size 12-14, and was curvy. So i've definitely lost more than 15% of that weight... so does that mean I fulfill that criterion? It's confusing.
Yes.

----
----

Old 21-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
-Tough-Cookie-

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
No it's 15% under ideal body weight for your height, age and sex. It's what they use for under 18s.

As an after thought:
I was diagnosed with anorexia even though I was having periods as I mensturate until I get as low at 6 stone.
I menstruated at a weight that low as wel...i didnt loose mine till my BMI was 15...

----
----

Old 21-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
*Beth*
Beth

I am currently:

I think it completely depends on the doctor.

My Psychiatrist said that the strict BMI is 17.5 and under, no matter what your previous/natural weight, and you have to have the other symptoms, including loss of menstruation,otherwise it goes down as EDNOS.

However my GP classes a BMI of under 20 as underweight, and i took a nose at my medical records, and he'd recorded me as anorexic at a BMI of 17.8 and still having periods.

According to the DSM-IV though, it's less 15% of the normal weight for under 18's, and a BMI of less than 17.5 for adults.. both with loss of periods.

It's gonna take a long time to love

It's gonna take a lot to hold on

It's gonna be a long way to happy.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
surprising mystery

I am currently:

Does this mean that automatically if you have disordered eating and your weight drops to give a BMI of lower than 17.5 you have ED-NOS?

ps I have had periods at a BMI of 15.9 they were irregular but still. I dont think I will ever loose my periods however, now, I will never know cos I have the implanon and a progesterone only pill.

Last edited by surprising mystery : 21-07-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: silly to add another post

L_M_G is my mummy :) inkerman and razorbladedarling are my two non-identical twin sprogs (concieved on same day) Scabette< cos she has the cutest puppy dog eyes and i cant resist!feeling-afraid< my bottle of glitter!! which i just have to have :Pmidnight stars< my gorgeous sister, whom i love to bits ;) Dance With The Fairy< *star*gazing*buddie :] Broken-Fairy is my partner in crime ;) little_miss is my real life saviour PaperClip is my stationary queen

surprising mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

^ umm I think if you are over 18 and your bmi is under 17.5 then you would fit the weight criteria for anorexia not ed nos.

A point to go in with is that only recently has 18.5 become an acceptable weight when I was younger anything between 18.5 and 20 was underweight below 18.5 and you were getting into dangerous levels.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
surprising mystery

I am currently:

I am like a few days away from 18 lol! but I dont have periods but that is b/c of the type of contraception I use.

Hmm s'all interesting

L_M_G is my mummy :) inkerman and razorbladedarling are my two non-identical twin sprogs (concieved on same day) Scabette< cos she has the cutest puppy dog eyes and i cant resist!feeling-afraid< my bottle of glitter!! which i just have to have :Pmidnight stars< my gorgeous sister, whom i love to bits ;) Dance With The Fairy< *star*gazing*buddie :] Broken-Fairy is my partner in crime ;) little_miss is my real life saviour PaperClip is my stationary queen

Old 22-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
Lil'MissLaLa
Art is a lie that makes us realise the truth

I am currently:

mm.. this is an interesting thread. My periods never stopped even when my bmi got down to 14ish. they only stopped wen i was in the unit being refed (which i thought was weird in itself) but yeah, im diagnosed with anorexia and not ednos. I think my main denial of anorexia was coz i thought u *had* to have lost ure periods for tht diagnosis. am i right in thinking drs vary in their assessment of it?
xx

'Imagination is more important than knowledge'

http://maddani.deviantart.com/

Lil'MissLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
ickle-duckling
twisted logic

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by random.swirls View Post
A point to go in with is that only recently has 18.5 become an acceptable weight when I was younger anything between 18.5 and 20 was underweight below 18.5 and you were getting into dangerous levels.
Yeah - when I went to see my doctor she told me that my BMI should be above 20 to be 'healthy'.

change
everything you are
and everything you were

ickle-duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
plastic rose
tough cookie.

I am currently:

Yeah doctors really differ. My psychiatrist told me I was "close" to being Anorexic, and that "if you're right and you wouldn't have periods were you not on the pill then you WOULD be Anorexic." So he obviously plays by the book, and follows the criteria, but he is still taking it very seriously, he just hasn't given me (as far as I know) a formal diagnosis.

It's useful diagnostically in that if your periods have stopped, they know your body is starting to really not cope with your low weight. But you shouldn't HAVE to have lost your period, any doctor who knows about Anorexia will tell you that you can die from it before you've lost your period. Its a guideline.

s a r a h
- Lord Byron

Old 22-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
plastic rose
tough cookie.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickle-duckling View Post
Yeah - when I went to see my doctor she told me that my BMI should be above 20 to be 'healthy'.
My doctor told me it was 18.5. They all seem to differ on opinion.
However I know people who have a BMI of 18 or lower, totally naturally and they are completely healthy and eat like horses! Whether or not your weight is putting you at danger or is healthy really, really depends on the individual. Which is why they look for all the other signs too.

s a r a h
- Lord Byron

Old 22-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
-Chelsey-
[[Rabbit]]

I am currently:

My periods stopped at around 18.7, which is strange, but for under 18's, how do you know what youe "ideal" weight would be?

"...On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are..."

-Chelsey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
surprising mystery

I am currently:

Oh yeah, I remember that at Darwin now, they said I was in the bottom 1% I think, but my BMI was 15.9.

Old 22-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
-Chelsey-
[[Rabbit]]

I am currently:

I've found those charts always are wrong on me, I'm naturally heavier for no apparant reason, therefore its always been harder to judge it correctly.

Personally I think the guidelines for anorexia are a load of tosh, Most doctors take them as fact, and as many people don't stop their periods till sometimes obviously low weights.. Tw***

"...On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are..."

-Chelsey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
surprising mystery

I am currently:

I agree, ^^ cos I am sure if you loose weight more gently, even though its still below a BMI of 17.5 surely some people can still get periods, albeit light and irregular. But I believe the 'guidelines' say you have to have missed 3 consecutive cycles.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)