RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
makedamnsure

I am currently:
What is "normal"?

I'm struggling lately with seeing what is "normal" and what is not.

I am stressed about exams. I am sure that this is "normal".
Everyone gets stressed.

But when I am stressed I really want to hurt myself and have very graphic thoughts of hurting myself which most people probably think is not normal.

So where is the line?

Another example is being upset.
Everyone is upset sometimes.

But for some reason when I am upset I feel like I will never be happy ever again (even though I always am). It feels like the feeling will never lift, even if I am only upset for a few minutes, to me it feels like it will never end and I might think about suicide.

I'm not really sure but I don't think that this is what most normal people feel when they feel "upset".

I am almost sure that I don't have what anyone would diagnose as a mental "illness". But I'm also fairly sure that if people knew some of the thoughts going through my head they would be shocked and worried.
So am I "normal" or not?

I'm really confused.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 20-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
riotgrrrlcori

I am currently:

Normal is functioning in a way that is comfortable to you, within (most/many/some) societal norms, and in a way that does not conflict with doing the things you need to do to survive-- i.e. eating, working, socializing, etc.

Are you normal? We're all abnormal in one way or another. Well, I think the more important question to ask is "Do I need help functioning some, most, or all of the time?" Everybody needs help once in a while, but people with illness or MI might need help more-- and that's totally okay. And if you do need help, even if you don't think you have MI, I encourage you to seek it out. Sometimes a close confidante or a licensed therapist can really help, even if you don't have or want a diagnosis.

riotgrrrlcori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

rather than aiming for normal, try aiming for healthy (not saying you have a mental illness, i'm not a doctor, but you don't need to have an illness to be unhealthy)

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastExpiration View Post
rather than aiming for normal, try aiming for healthy (not saying you have a mental illness, i'm not a doctor, but you don't need to have an illness to be unhealthy)
^ This.

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

roiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I don't think there is a 'normal'. Everybody handles things differently. For example, some people might handle stress well (and even thrive on it), but struggle with their temper and get extremely angry very quickly. You mention that you struggle with stress (as do I, and I empathise about exams as I have them too atm), and most people do feel stressed and might struggle to sleep or lose their appetite. Again, everybody is different.

As long as you are looking after yourself, are not physically ill and not showing any serious signs of diagnosable mental illness (for example severe depression, mania, psychosis etc) then I wouldn't worry too much.

A lot of people have thoughts during times of stress and sadness which they would be reluctant to share as they would worry about the same things as you. I remember reading once that (mentally well) people who are recently bereaved often see the person who died. This is considered a 'normal' part of the grieving process.

I'm sorry this is really waffley and might not make much sense. I had a 3 hour exam today and my brain is mush!

Hope you're okay
xx

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Gone.

I don't think that there is a normal. I think that emotions can get overwhelming and that we can struggle with them but that doesn't make us abnormal or stupid, just human. Everyone finds it hard sometimes and I think that everyone feels that, occassionally, they're world is crashing down around them. They might not say it, essentially, because it's not the sort of thing you talk about but that doesn't mean it isn't there or doesn't happen. There is a lot more going on in people's heads than we give them credit for.

Stop trying to focus upon being normal and instead try to be yourself. The people who matter will love you for you and shouldn't expect you to be anything else. I know that it sounds cliche but it is true. Treat yourself kindly.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
misscherie
Miss Cherie

I am currently:

I've stopped thinking of normal ages ago, as I've grown up I've learnt that everyone thinks and feels differently due to the way we were brought up, experiences, etc. If there was a normal, we'd all been given a tailored guide on how to be it.

I just aim on healthy and what feels right, because that's the best you can do in life

misscherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
[?]Rebel[!]

I am currently:

i would say something useful but i am blank and empty *hugs* good luck for ur tests :)

Never trust a weirdo
You can rebel for life..... unless if you rebel against life

[?]Rebel[!] is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)