Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I'd make them aware that you'll have to travel for sessions up front. Maybe they can help you brainstorm some things for what to do if that becomes an issue, or if you are having a bad day and public transit is feeling like a lot. Any type of barriers like that are important to be aware of, so that you can prepare and plan for them.

I hope you hear back soon.

Also fwiw, RO-DBT groups are similar to regular DBT. But there's a bit more interacting with the others. (ALL VERY STRUCTURED STILL) A lot of the exercises/skills are practice with social situations and things, because that's one of the really important things in RO versus regular. So it would be something like we'd have a script or specific thing, like, this is the scenario and you just need to validate what the person is saying, or you need to describe this to the person using this term. So it was still stressful if you struggle with social interaction, but the added like, structure to the social interaction did help a bit.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Okay, I'll make them aware of my travel issues.
Ah right, yeah, I have no clue as to what to expect, I've only had talking therapy but it wasn't a specific type of therapy, if you know what I mean.

Thank you, Camden.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #23
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I was supposed to have a year if intensive DBT. That turned into 5 years. It saved my life.

I wasn't commited to recovery for the first couple of years. I wasn't ready. So we just went round in circles and it was pointless. Most would be discharged for not engaging. But for some reason my psychologist persevered. I had a series of moments of clarity. And using what I had learned in my 5 years of DBT, I started to recover. I had to do it myself but the tools I had failed ed we're viral. I thought all the mindfulness, imagine a forest crap was bull **** when I was doing it. Now I get the benefit and it helps me in many types of situations.

If you're ready to enter recovery, do DBT (any form). If you're not sure, enter still but only with an open mind. You have to work with it, it's not something you're told and then you get better. You do all the work and the therapist just guides.

Sorry I'm out if it from pain and exhaustion. Just wanted to share my experience of DBT, and what you need to know before deciding when to start.

If you have any questions about it in happy to try and help.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:32 AM   #24
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Thank you, J.
I'm like 95% committed, was 100 but I'm having small doubts.

I hope I can do this. I've tried mindfulness and my happy place was my grandma's house but then I'd think about her death and it made me sad. Hopefully my therapist will help me find a happy place. Guess i was doing it wrong.

I want recovery. I've messed up all aspects of my life.
I think this is the way forward.

Thanks so much for the info, J.

Sweetpea

Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #25
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

There are SO many different forms of mindfulness. The ones I find useful are not at all like what you're describing with a happy place. They're more about just being connected to the present moment, more like grounding really. Not so much the whole like, weird yoga guru type of style most people think when they think mindfulness (sorry for lack of a better term).

There's one that sounds really cheesey but it's called "leaves on a stream" that at the time I thought was lame but once in a while I remember it and try it and it can help. It's sort of mindfulness sort of related to the process of cognitive defusion which is an ACT concept, not a DBT concept. But for me when doing more of the ACT type of mindfulness skills, I found them way more useful.

Nevertheless, a lot of the goal is similar- to be connected to the present.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #26
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Oh sorry, I understand now. Yeah, I have no clue about mindfulness. I honestly thought it was a single concept.
I Guess I'll have a lot to learn.

Sweetpea

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)