Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #21
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Hi Carmen :)
I'm guessing you're not looking forward to going back? What is it you're studying?

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
Aardbei
Mali - Deputy Head Forum Moderator

I am currently:

The presentation is in Bangor - my hometown is Bristol :) It is a great city, I've lived here almost all of my life! I moved back to Bristol to write up as I didn't want to hang around in Bangor when I had no lectures - it's a bit of a ghost town. Returning there to present on the 19th, but hoping to do all the printing and stuff online from Bristol. Sorry, I know it's confusing :P

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
chinahorse

I am currently:

Thats well odd Carmen, I know ours would like to be able to ban them!

Ohhh right Ali I get you now, sorry.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
Aardbei

I am currently:

No worries, I didn't explain it very well! All of my coursemates get so confused about where home is for me because I did my undergrad in Birmingham, my boyfriend lives in Sheffield, I'm from Bristol... having links to all of these places makes things hard to follow sometimes hehe.

Carmen, why do they need you to have smartphones/tablets? I'd have thought bringing printouts of the lecture slides and maybe a textbook would be all you needed :S

Old 23-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I'm guessing it has something to do with you wouldn't have to print them out that way, just download them onto your tablet (but I could be totally off the mark!)

I'm starting to get really anxious about starting college. My boss tells me I should be fine, as I do most of the stuff they'll be teaching us on a day-to-day basis anyway, but I'm still scared. I've tried college 5 times, all of which (apart from 1 course) I failed because of various things. Really don't want it to happen again, but things are different this time so I'm hoping it'll be different.

Old 23-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #26
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thanks chinahorse :)

I'm excited about the OU because I can do 90% of it from home (well I could do 100% from home if needed). When I as at a brick uni the thing that made me leave both times was because when my anxiety and MH got bad I couldn't travel in to the lectures. I missed a lot of them, even exams. So it was pointless me being there!

But the OU I can do from the comfort of my house :) And if I do need the odd extension I can still get them. I am hoping to make it to some of the tutorials though because that would be nice to have some face-face element.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
Aardbei

I am currently:

Alison (we have the same first name!), I'm sure you will be fine. The fact you've failed before doesn't mean you'll fail again. Try to learn from your previous experiences and take it one day at a time, because if you overwhelm yourself with worrying you'll set yourself up for a fall. I bet it will be different this time! Do you have a support system in place for when you do start the course?

I reckon the OU will be perfect for you lovely :)

Old 23-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thanks Alison! You did your undergrad in psychology didn't you? I might have to pick your brains when I get stuck ;P

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
Aardbei

I am currently:

I did! Feel free, I can send across any essays that you might find helpful and my MSc is Psychology-related too so I'm sure I can attempt to help :P

That sucks, Carmen. University is expensive enough without the cost of textbooks and tablets - that does seem ridiculous that the lecturer thinks you should have one :/ At least there's the option of paper answers!

Old 24-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
youonlyliveonce

Has anyone ever done a masters iv done my undergrad in sport n PE and got a 2:2 which I was disappointed with but I got through it I guess

Just wondered if it was a big step up or not

Old 24-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Aardbei

I am currently:

I'm currently doing my Masters, and it definitely is a step up (or it was for me anyway). For example, in one of my first lectures we covered more material than we'd have probably covered in 4-5 lectures at undergrad. The lectures are much longer too, or at least they are at my university - 3 hours as opposed to 1 hour at undergrad.

It's still manageable though, and much more enjoyable as you have more choice about what modules you take and the direction your course goes in. I will say that if you got a 2:2, having a Masters might help you look more employable (although at the end of the day nobody really cares how you did anymore!)

Old 24-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
The Queen of Peace
Always does her best to please.

I am currently:

Hi all! (Also, loving the shiny new thread.)

I've just been accepted to study theoretical physics with maths, and I'm moving in on the 27th September and I can't waaaaait for freshers' week and to start a new life away from home. I have opened a bank account now and given my notice into work and everything! So exciting.

*waves, etc.*

Last edited by The Queen of Peace : 24-08-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: I missed the n on notice, oops.

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Don't ever frown because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.

The Queen of Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
Ahimsa

I am currently:

I've finally finished uni, had an extension but my work is done now! YAY

Ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #34
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malison View Post
Alison (we have the same first name!), I'm sure you will be fine. The fact you've failed before doesn't mean you'll fail again. Try to learn from your previous experiences and take it one day at a time, because if you overwhelm yourself with worrying you'll set yourself up for a fall. I bet it will be different this time! Do you have a support system in place for when you do start the course?

I reckon the OU will be perfect for you lovely :)
Yes, in terms of the fact because its a professional development course I have my boss at work, and 5 other colleagues of mine (who I get on really well with) have already done the course. I know that if I'm stuck, either my boss will help out, I'll have my tutor at college and I'll have colleagues of mine that have already completed the course, who all said I could fb them/come into work with any queries when I needed them. I know I'm being silly, but I don't think I'll feel better about it until the course actually starts and I know what the workload is like for myself (a complete nightmare according to some, but that doesn't mean I won't cope with it). Thank you for the suggestion of taking it one day at a time, that's probably the most sensible thing to do :)

How is everyone else?

Old 25-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #35
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Carmen- that sounds really bad about the smartphone thing. It's good that you can submit the answers on paper, but I don't think they should have tried to suggest that you just buy a smartphone to suit their ideas.

Chloe- I'm excited for you and hope you have a great time!

Moonrise- congratulations on getting all your work done and finishing uni :)

In case anyone is interested, I'm Jenna and I graduated last year in maths and statistics and am now a secondary maths teacher, but really hoping to get back into some more exciting maths at some point and maybe do a PhD =D

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #36
Aardbei

I am currently:

Congratulations to to Chloe and Moonrise! <3

Alison, I can completely relate to that. When I was applying for my Masters I was so worried about it but once I'd moved to Bangor, met some friendly faces and familiarised myself with the course structure I felt so much better. I think it probably is just a case of being brave and then hopefully realising it wasn't as much of a worry as you thought it was going to be ^_^

When do you think you'd like to do your PhD Jenna?

Old 25-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #37
xArchAngelx

Hey guys :)

Going into my second year at Bangor, doing zoology with herpetology.
Move back in on the 6th, so excited, house sharing with friends and going on a field trip to Arizona before the start of the semester!

xArchAngelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #38
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Ali- it won't be for a few years until we've bought a house as having a job will be more conducive to getting accepted for a mortgage than studying.

Carmen- Definitely statistics, probably something to do with design of experiments.
That sounds like a very intense first day! Definitely legit to take a break and relax for a while- there's no point in wearing yourself out.

xArchAngelx- that sounds great! Herpetology is the study of snakes right? Think that's what the guy was called in A Series Of Unfortunate Events (the source of most of my vocabulary!)

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #39
xArchAngelx

A series of unfortunate events is brilliant!
Yeah, herpetology is reptiles and amphibians. But my main interest is snakes

xArchAngelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #40
Aardbei

I am currently:

xArchAngelx, is that Bangor as in North Wales? That's where I'm doing my MSc, but it's nearly over now :(

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)