RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Sincerity

I am currently:
Can I post a link to an anonymous online questionnaire, requesting participants on the forum?

Hi!

I'm conducting a small research project on the relationship between alcohol and self-harm as part of my current studies.
It's a weeny 8 questions long and isn't particularly invasive; it just asked a few questions about if/when you drink and why.

I'm struggling to get replies in the short space of time I've been allotted so a speedy reply would be AMEZZIN, thanks.

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to ask in confidence.

And you might say its self-inflicted
But you see that's contradictive
Why on earth would anyone practice self destruction?

Sincerity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

You need to contact the forum moderators to have the link to the study approved to be put on the forum.

You can PM a person in red http://www.recoveryourlife.com//forum/showgroups.php for probably the fastest response.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

If you want you can pm me but it will need to be before 7 pm tonight. I will be away over Easter otherwise

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Sincerity

I am currently:

Aww, bugger, I've just seen replies!

Thank you though, It can wait until after the weekend if needs be.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

As everyone said you have to pm it to the mods to get it approved, as i had to do the same. Just a note though make sure you have your ethical consideration information given to people - as its an important thing, and lots of people forget about it.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Sincerity

I am currently:

I've PM'd a few mods but it's bank holiday so I'm not expecting a swift reply.

I've put a disclaimer at the top of the questionnaire (just warning people that although it's a non-invasive q'aire, it may be distressing to some participants) and links to support and advice sites at the bottom, so I think I have the ethical implications covered.

B.E: How many responses did you get and in what time frame?
Also, are there particular mods that I should PM? I've PM'ed about five (there appears to be millions of site mods) and as I'm new to navigating around the site I'm not sure if there are mods for specific forums.

Cheers! :)

Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
squirrelspit

I am currently:

You havent pm'd me..

I have removed the link from your signature though. you really cant post it until you do get permission.

Have you read the rules?

Quote:
Please do not approach RYL members in search for participants in any documentaries, research projects and/or surveys without first obtaining the official permission from an RYL moderator or the RYL webmaster.While we do understand the value of RYL members contributing towards making sure that accurate information gets recorded regarding self harm and related issues, allowing too many of these research requests to be posted on RYL could run the risk of distracting members of this community from its main focus, which is as a self harm support community. Therefore, the RYL moderators and webmaster must review all research requests before they are posted on any of the RYL forums or chatrooms. Any posted request for participants in a research project or survey that has not received official permission to be posted at RYL, will be removed.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Bleeding Angel

I am currently:

That isn't your ethical consent though, your ethical consent is what you want the data for, how you will use it, what happens to any personal data given. Also what rules you have in place if people choose to withdraw from the study, and if data is kept confidential.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I didnt get a PM either!you need to PM someone red as the green mods are chat mods.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
The One Who

I am currently:

Remember that the mods listed are really out of date...

Also, yes, you should have ethical approval from your institution, as well as an information sheet for participants that lists all the data protection stuff. Something to bear in mind as well (for everyone gathering information!) is how you are going to justify and explain your collection of information sources and your participants. And another general thing is that you shouldn't really be using anyone under the age of eighteen or anyone vulnerable, as they have their own ethical issues and normally require further, more intensive approval.

Last edited by The One Who : 07-04-2012 at 08:49 PM.
The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

You didn't pm me either. :(

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Sincerity

I am currently:

I PM'ed few mods in red, honest! I'll PM you guys.

Well, any self harmer is vulnerable, no? The disclaimer at the top warns participants that it may be distressing and to use their own discretion, that ALL data is anonymous (I can't trace the participants) and confidential and for research purposes only. Data will be destroyed upon completion of the project.
My q'aire has ben approved by my school and my tutors are happy with my ethical considerations. My tutor hasn't mentioned anything about providing data protection act sheet to participants... I've read through the legal guidance for researchers and I comply with the guidelines.

Aargh! Confused!

P.S Sorry about the link on my signature, I'm getting pretty desperate for replies in the deadline.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Bleeding Angel

I am currently:

You have to understand we are not saying any of these things to discourage you, just to help you have your project approved. Also assuming your not in your final year, those of us that have done it know there are many riggers of ethical approval hoops to go through, so we are just trying to advise.

What claire meant is, its not wise to ask people that have drinking issues and are vulnerable, along with under 18's, so any of these people should be disregarded in the first place and told not to take part. The only thing you haven't covered is what if people change their minds and dont want to be in the study, if you cant identify them how can you destroy the data for them to leave?

Have you tired asking friends, family and people on your course to help?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding_Angel
The only thing you haven't covered is what if people change their minds and dont want to be in the study, if you cant identify them how can you destroy the data for them to leave?

I know here that if the data is anonymous they have the right to withdraw only until they push 'submit' on the questionnaire. Once the questionnaire has been submitted as the data is anonymous it's virtually impossible for it to be removed, as simply it cannot be identified. Up until then though, they are obviously free to withdraw and the data collected won't be used.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Freedom Fighter

I have never heard of a person's ability to remove anonymous data from a study after they signed it away

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerity View Post
Well, any self harmer is vulnerable, no? The disclaimer at the top warns participants that it may be distressing and to use their own discretion, that ALL data is anonymous (I can't trace the participants) and confidential and for research purposes only. Data will be destroyed upon completion of the project.
My q'aire has ben approved by my school and my tutors are happy with my ethical considerations. My tutor hasn't mentioned anything about providing data protection act sheet to participants... I've read through the legal guidance for researchers and I comply with the guidelines.
Some are more vulnerable than others. Basically anyone the state would consider "vulnerable" (as an example, someone with learning difficulties, an alcoholic, someone on a mental health section, etc) should not be approached unless the study specifically requires it. Same goes with under 18s. These groups have special ethical consideration, and getting ethical approval can take weeks. It would have to go through the university/faculty ethics committee. And you should never, ever undertake any practical research before receiving ethical approval.

You don't have to provide a separate DPA sheet, just a sentence or two on the initial information sheet would suffice. The sheet basically tells participants what the study is, what it's for, what you hope to gain, a general bit about the questionnaire/interview/focus group/whatever, some information on what you are going to do with the data, and a contact email (for yourself and your tutor is generally good practice) for if anyone has any questions or wants to check it out before agreeing to take part.

This isn't meant to be discouraging. At some point in the work you should be writing about this, and so getting it sorted before you start is the easiest way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel View Post
You have to understand we are not saying any of these things to discourage you, just to help you have your project approved. Also assuming your not in your final year, those of us that have done it know there are many riggers of ethical approval hoops to go through, so we are just trying to advise.

What claire meant is, its not wise to ask people that have drinking issues and are vulnerable, along with under 18's, so any of these people should be disregarded in the first place and told not to take part.
Pretty much, yep. Research ethics is a bit of a minefield.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

You;ve pmed me and I've responded!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)