RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
LRgrad15

Injecting yourself into other people's conversations

Does anyone feel uncomfortable interjecting themselves into other people's conversations? Do you think it can also be seen as rude to do so? Despite people telling me it's a good idea to get to know others and even during random moments of bravery where I decide to take the initiative to talk to someone, I refuse to inject myself into a conversation. I feel like it could be seen as rude to others even if you're just trying to get to know others.

And I've seen it happen to other people I know where I'll see them interject themselves into a conversation and the other group members will give them annoyed or confused glances at them. It's not like they were already a part of the conversation. It's more like there will be a group conversation taking place and they will overhear them and just start saying stuff to them. Would you see this as being kind of rude or off putting? I feel like it could be seen as that way.

This is why I can't do this myself. There was only one case many many years ago where I approached a group of people who weren't really even talking and they got annoyed. I couldn't even dare do that to a group of people who are in a full conversation with each other. In cases where some of my friends have done that, only to complain later that they feel like no one wants to talk to them, I can sometimes see why some of them struggle with making friends or at least feeling like they don't belong in a group. A friend may interject themselves into a conversation, they get weird looks in response and then my friend will complain that they feel excluded and rejected. Usually I can relate, but in this scenario, I can understand why they feel rejected. It's because they interjected themselves at the wrong time.

I'm more of the kind of person that will stand off to the side, while still looking approachable, and wait for someone to come and talk to me first. Or in some rare cases, I'll approach someone who seems to be alone as well. I'm a little more okay with that even though that still makes me nervous as well since there's still a possibility of rejection. Would you find it off putting if you noticed someone was just interjecting themselves into a conversation they were not a part of? It's one thing if you're invited into a group conversation, but interjecting yourself to the point where you're possibly annoying others is another. Just wondered what you guys thought.

Old 26-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I am personally annoyed by people who join in conversations when they aren't part of it.

I go swimming most weeks with my aunt or my dad. Sometimes there's this woman who if you even acknowledge her buts into your conversation constantly. Even if it's nothing to do with her and you don't address her. She also tells people who are of an ideal weight that they should join weight watchers. If I was on my own I would tell her to **** off because she's uber annoying. That's a clear overstep of the boundaries.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_insig View Post
I am personally annoyed by people who join in conversations when they aren't part of it.

I go swimming most weeks with my aunt or my dad. Sometimes there's this woman who if you even acknowledge her buts into your conversation constantly. Even if it's nothing to do with her and you don't address her. She also tells people who are of an ideal weight that they should join weight watchers. If I was on my own I would tell her to **** off because she's uber annoying. That's a clear overstep of the boundaries.
Yeah I agree, that lady sounds so annoying and rude.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)