Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:
Quiet boards discussion

Hello

The mods have been having a discussion around the quiet boards.

We have noticed that grief and trauma, substance abuse and binge eating are very quiet with not much support happening.

We were wondering what members thought about this and whether it's worthwhile having a think around the boards and whether we should keep them as is or maybe reduce boards etc.

I'm leaving this deliberately vague so as to not influence people but will post my thoughts in due course.

Cam on behalf of the mods

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
ASkatersDream...

I am currently:

Keep the binge eating board as most conversation is in the comfy couch where the support is.

Totally forgot there was a greif and trauma board to be honest

Believe <3

ASkatersDream... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

But one could move that comfy couch to ED?

When I wanted to post about binge eating I would now want to post in the main ED forum for more replies. Even though I really campaigned for the extra board the quietness is sad :(

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I often think about this, especially with grief and substance where people who are in serious dark places may not get many replies, so really good question to be brought up Mods. :)

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Mmm, it always makes me concerned when I see something in grief or substance abuse that's been sat there a while because it's quiet, that would have had replies in the main board much sooner.

I'd be for streamlining boards.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
whirlpools

Streamlining is good.

Off topic but RYL feels like a ghost town in general these days. May be for another thread, but there seems to be plenty of members visiting but not posting. Does it feel unsafe?

Maybe that's contentious but it's just how it looks to me. Thoughts? (Mods please delete if hijacking - will.consider starting new thread).

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
ASkatersDream...

I am currently:

but I wouldn't even want to post in the normal Ed board as it's mainly aimed at anorexic/bulimic people this is the debate we had before. Keep the binge eating board

Believe <3

ASkatersDream... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Iamcatbug
Cat

^^ but if only a few threads in binge eating are being updated and used regulaly it seems a bit pointless to keep an entire area of the forum. Although I've never used the ED area, to me it seems to make sense to put binge eating back onto it. It might be odd at first but eventually it should flow.

Streamlining to me makes sense, especially in areas of the site that are currently underused.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #9
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

In my experience on the forums, people who experience overeating are greatly outnumbered by those who experience undereating (terms used for ease of simplification only!!) so I think there is a fear that threads for overeating would get lost in the flood of undereating threads.
I also personally would not feel comfortable posting about my overeating in a forum full of anorexics. It just feels....wrong. And very fat.

I am not sure if that feeling of discomfort is applicable to posts about grief and trauma, which could maybe be lumped into the serious board - but then the Seriousness of serious might get lost as well? I recall another conversation about trying to reduce the number of posts in serious that were not deemed actually *that* serious.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

I'm all for streamlining too.

EyelinerAndCigarettes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

Isn't it just that misconception that needs to be challenged...

I binged more when I was anorexic than I ever do now. Fact.

Its this idea that people with tiny frames and anorexic BMIs wont understand the feeling of a binge or that people who binge eat are not in the same headspace. I just think there could be more compassion and awareness rather than division, I suppose I feel very sad that someone who suffers from binge eating feels unable to post in an ED board.

Last edited by MissAnonymous : 03-03-2015 at 04:29 PM.

<a href=http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24017&dateline=1413142787 target=_blank>http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...e=141314  2787</a>

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

My thoughts on BORIS:

1) I assume active threads will be moved and not disappear. So the Comfy Couch would still be running and nobody had to miss out on the support they get there.

2) Support threads for binge eating might get more support than on the subforum that is often overlooked.

3) It's an artificial segregation of eating disorders. Challenging the wide spread idea that anorexia and bulimia are the main EDs might be a better approach to overcome the differences in attention and support. I would like to see a board where all EDs are accepted as equal and where binging is represented as just as serious as undereating or purging. Especially new members or people who feel insecure and like their issues are less serious might benefit from treating all EDs the same.

Hope I made sense.

So that's a yes from me to the idea of reducing / getting rid of sub forums as I hope it will increase support for those that are often overlooked.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

I have always wanted to reduce the number of sub-forums. Grief is something that would easily go in GSA, or Serious. I would even say that the Vet boards could become part of the main forums.

Regarding the ED section, I would combine it. Currently it feels quite divisive and not always clear where a new member should post. The level of support shouldn't decrease because it is no longer an individual section, if anything it should increase because the pool of readers will increase.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

What about changing the name of the ed forum?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #15
The One Who

I am currently:

I think "Eating Disorder Support" is fine; it's quite general. It seems from this thread and the previous discussion about the board is the attitude of members, and I doubt a name change would make any difference.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #16
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I think the name is fine.
What could it be changed to anyway?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Something to include binge eating or something!

Seems some if the objections to BORIS going are because it is specifically for binge eating having a looser title might help?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #18
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

But binge eating disorder is an eating disorder?

Can any old school RYLers remember the origins of the binge eating forum? To me its existence seems quite strange (why not also have a subforum for undereating and a subforum in mental health for personality disorders etc?), but maybe there was a really good reason for it existing which still stands now that we aren't seeing because we're so used to it.

I'm unsure if that made sense...

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASkatersDream... View Post
but I wouldn't even want to post in the normal Ed board as it's mainly aimed at anorexic/bulimic people this is the debate we had before. Keep the binge eating board
What makes you think it's mainly aimed at anorexic/bulimic people? It only appears that way at the moment because BED and related issues are segregated into another board, if it wasn't then it would just be a general eating disorders board.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

^I think you joined before it came about. Aimee (then Alice in Wonderland) was one of the key players. At the time, it was much busier, and BORIS threads were swamped by lots of AN and BN threads and made BORIS people feel really out of place.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #20
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Basically what Sophia has said.

Ironically after the creation of BORIS (hehe) I still posted in the main ED forum sometimes because the support is a higher amount, I have friends there too. Maybe we need to challenge the view that it's just for AN sufferers, but ALSO hugely challenge the notion they can't help. They can! And they are lovely!

I think if we were streamlining maybe keep each forums long threads ie. Alcoholism support, comfy couch maybe?, messages maybe?. But I think an alcoholism support thread would be good.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)