RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 30-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Lonely&Broken-Hearted

Location: Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
I am currently:
Trichotillomania and how to respond to people pointing it out.

Hello Everybody,

I suffer from Trichotillomania (I pull out my Eyelashes and Eyebrow hair). I'm very embarrassed about it and as a result, I have only ever told 3 people about it. I haven't even discussed it with a Doctor or any other Health Professional.

So you can imagine my horror when on separate occasions, I've had a few people at work ask me where my Eyebrows had gone. (I don't wear Make-up or Pencil my Eyebrows in). I was taken aback every time they asked me this and I didn't know what to say, so I just tried to change the subject or said that they haven't gone anywhere.

I don't want people to know that I suffer from Trichotillomania (well certainly not my Work Colleagues) so I was just wondering what advice those who also suffer from trichotillomania, would give when it comes to people pointing out your lack of hair?

Thanks in advance.

Becky
xxx

Lonely&Broken-Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
midspark

I think people will be more understanding when they know that you are suffering from a medical condition rather than not knowing the truth or telling them some other reason that doesn't really make sense since it can feel like you are ignoring the question. I understand it can be awkward when you are put in the spot and ask about something that you wish to not be pointed out. The most logical reason here that i would advice is to let people know that you have a medical health reason from the loss of hair, you don't have to go into detail if you aren't comfortable in telling them, so you can provide an overview statement when someone ask you about it. It can be as generic as "I have a medical health reason that is causing this hair loss." I hope this is helpful and don't feel so embarrassed on yourself. We all have flaws!

midspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Auror.
Camden

I agree with the advice given. I think if you just say you have a medical condition, that should be enough to get people to leave it alone. If not, just say that it's personal. I think saying oh nothing's wrong might in a way lead to more questions. Where if you can acknowledge it by saying, medical condition, personal, etc. that makes them more likely to leave it alone in the future. If you give people evasive answers, that tends to make them more curious.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Horizon

I am currently:

I am sorry to hear you struggle with this; I can relate.

When I was 11 years old, I pulled out all my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs. For years, strangers as well as people I knew would point, laugh, and talk about me like I wasn't there as they discussed my appearance. A substitute teacher once stopped class in high school to give me advice on my eyebrows in front of everyone.

Even with penciled-in eyebrows. (I think a certain company actually makes fake eyebrows for instances such as this - that or some penciling may be worth looking into if it will help you feel more confident and less worried about being around questions - these days, surprisingly, it's "fashionable" to draw eyebrows in or on. Also, fake lashes may be an option!)

My eyelashes eventually grew back, but not my eyebrows. I continue to draw them on daily with pencil and eyeshadow powder.

Surprisingly, as I've gotten older (I am now 28 years old) people don't seem to comment.

At this point, I'm very open about them not being there, and manage to get ahead of any potential comments.

If people ask (which they do because people have a surprising lack of boundaries about peoples' physical appearances and bodies), I would recommend either telling them it's a sensitive subject and that you would prefer not to discuss it, or as suggested, simply saying you have a medical condition (which is true).

If anybody presses past these answers, please remember that you are under no obligation to even acknowledge their question; sometimes ignoring them will make them feel ashamed and they will be eager to leave the subject alone.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)