RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
scrunchy10

I am currently:
Intros and support

Hello! It's been a while since I've been here. Bit of history first -I used to frequent these boards years ago as I had a problem with SI, panic disorder and clinical depression from the age of 14-18. However, I was able to slowly control it and eventually stopped. I thought it was healthy and good and I was coping, but in reality I slipped into anorexia. I am now 22 and in recovery and working to get better.

I don't really know what forum this is most suited for so I'm going to put it up on a few. I'lll remove it if you think it's inapproriate.

However, now I'm getting closer to a healthy weight, my mind seems to be getting active again. The depression, SI and panic disorder are back and joined by social anxiety, disassociation and OCD tendancies. I'm now having panic attacks and am injuring myself most days, especially if I hit my calorie target.

I really need help because I'm spiralling and it's making hitting my calorie targets difficult. I am in treatment for my ED with the NHS so have access to quite a lot of support, but I just cannot find healthy ways to cope with my depression, anxiety and isolation - I restrict my food or SI. If I don't, I'm scared I will not cope and become suicidal. This is not good right now. I think I need more support from my EDU but they seem reluctant to offer it to me as my weight restoration is heading in the right direction.

I really don't want to SI or restrict anymore and could use some ideas of other ways of coping with my problems. I'm not very open and find it difficult to express my distress without taking it out on my body. My weigh, SI and my tendancy to write all over myself are all expressions of this. The SI is getting bad now though. The cuts are getting deeper, more frequent and are taking longer to heal. Plus my OCD tendancies mean I have to cutx times each time I do it so there are a lot of wounds right now, especially as it can occur up to x times a day. The days I am least likely to SI are the days I actively restrict my calorie intake. I thought I was past this. I desperately want to stop. I'm scared of myself. I'm pushing my limits with SI, wanting it to hurt more, be deeper, if you get me. I need to find ways to cope and was hoping someone here might be able to offer me some support and move me in the right direction.

Sorry for the drama of this post. I'm just pretty lost right now and I don't know the best thing to do. Thanks x.

Last edited by [Purple_Rain] : 13-11-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Removed amount of times cut
scrunchy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
silent_scars11

I am currently:
Hopefully helpful advice

Hi, and welcome back. I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time right now. It's really great though that you recognize you need help and are brave enough to reach out for it.

'Cause I'm dumb - does EDU stand for eating disorder unit, or am I totally off? Because maybe they're reluctant to give you help because maybe they think the SI, panic, OCD, disassociation, anxiety, and depression are more issues now than the eating disorder? I'm not very familiar with eating disorder therapy, so I don't know if they're only required to help you with the eating disorder and not the related issues. Still, I think it's very reasonable (and I'd think common) for your weight to be getting back to normal, but for you to still be really struggling with it. It's like when someone's trying to end an addiction - just because they don't do whatever it was they were doing before doesn't mean they might not still really struggle at times. They really should be providing you with the help you need - have you asked directly? I should be proud that you're asking and more than willing to help you, if they're doing their jobs right.

As far as the SI, I completely understand, as I'm more or less in your shoes in terms of that right now. Several weeks ago I made my deepest cut yet - although I didn't mean for it to be that severe - and since then I've been scared yet tempted to do it again. So now I'm both scared of and dependent upon SI. But anyway, I definitely understand the desire to push it further, I've heard it's kind of like with drugs where you need to keep taking more to get the same effect. But I'm so glad you know this is dangerous and that you're trying to find other ways to cope. If you haven't already, definitely check out the distractions page here on RYL. There's a lot of options to choose from that can help you calm down enough to stay safe.

As for what I did, I threw out the tool I used that time I cut deep, and got myself some 'safer' ones. Yes, no tool is really 'safe,' but since I'm not quite ready to throw out all my tools yet (although that is the best thing to do), it's better to have the less dangerous tools than none at all, because then I'm be less tempted to seek more dangerous ones, as I already have the other ones with me. Of course, another option is to give your tools to the people helping you recover if you think you can do that.

With both the eating disorder and the SI, the most important thing is to develop healthy coping mechanisms to replace them - other things you can do to help yourself deal with complicated emotions without harming yourself. Once you have some of those in place, it will be so much easier to stop restricting and SI'ing. So instead of focusing solely on just stopping these unhealthy behaviors, also focus on replacing them with healthy ones. I'm still far from recovered, but this perspective has definitely helped me make the SI less frequent.

I'm so glad you reached out, and I hope you continue to reach out to your support sources and letting them know how difficult things are for you right now. I'm sure that someone will understand your struggles and give you the help you need.

Don't give up, dear <3

"It's not a dream anymore. It's worth fighting for."

"Well, if it's not real you can't hold it in your hands
You can't feel it with your heart
And I won't believe it.
But if it's true
You can see it with your eyes
Oh, even in the dark
And that's where I want to be, yeah" - Paramore

silent_scars11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)