RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Lilo

I am currently:
College & Uni support thread.

As it's the beginning of the new academic year I thought I would start a college & university chat/support thread considering how popular the other one was over the years.

Starting a college course/going off to University can be a really positive step but obviously when you suffer with mental health problems it can sometimes interfere with your student experience and it helps to have support even if it's sometimes online.

So feel free to post here about anything you're worried about course/uni wise and also if you have any tips for others on keeping sane while studying!

Lilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Hello!
Great idea for a thread!

Im starting an access to nursing course next week.
Although I need to contact student finance because they are silly so I'm really hoping that won't interfere with my start date even though it wasn't my fault.....

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Lilo

I am currently:

I know there are quite a few regular posters starting/continuing college and university so I'm hoping it'll become a helpful thread. Or we'll all just post here as a way of procrastinating!

Good luck with starting your course. Are you looking forward to it?
Do you know how many days you'll be in college yet?

I'm sure if you explain to your tutor that you're waiting on student finance they'll understand and won't just not let you start the course.

I've been given some tasks to complete over the Summer but as I only applied to the course 4 weeks ago I was told to not worry too much about getting them all done. So that was a big relief.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Im really looking forward to it!
I can't wait to start!
Hopefully they'll understand about SFE!

What course are you doing?

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Lilo

I am currently:

I also can't wait to start and be busy again but I know when I'm surrounded by essays and deadlines that I may not be as enthusiastic lol.

All the tutors/college staff I've met have been really helpful so far so I'm sure they'll understand that SFE constantly screw up.

I'll be doing the Access to Counselling & Psychology course.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Yeah me too!! Lol!

Everyone seems really helpful and nice at my college too so hoping they'll understand!

Awesome!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Eska

I am currently:

Cat I know that feeling, and it is a bit rubbish. You're still nearly there though.

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I'm in my final year at Open University and I am completing my BSc in Health and Social Care (Mental Health and Wellbeing) and I am hoping to achieve a 2:2 in my degree.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

You've done sooo well Catbug!
I can understand why you'd be upset but October isnt too far away :)

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
HopeRises

Ahh good luck to everyone starting their courses soon. I'm moving back to uni in a few weeks to start my second year. I'm really anxious but equally looking forward to going back but my mh has declined over the summer so bit nervous about how that is going to affect my studies.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Hi HopeRises!

Do you have any support in place for when you get there?
I don't know how it is at university but I think they have support services about?

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Really well done for going to all your classes!! That's brilliant.

That sounds really cool.
Id love to wear a lab coat for legit reasons! :p

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Lilo

I am currently:

I had my induction today and although the whole thing took nearly 5 hours I had a good day. There are only 8 people doing my actual course but 25 of us in my tutor group and everyone seems really friendly aswell which is good.

My timetable is actually better than I thought as my earliest start is 9:30am and I finish at 12pm and 2pm which is good.

How's everything else finding College/Uni inductions?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

My induction days are next week.
Start at 9:15am and end at 3pm.
Im gonna have to get up early as it takes roughly an hour to get there by bus!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
Lilo

I am currently:

Hope you had a good first day Beckie.

My first proper day is tomorrow and I've come down with a bad cold which is very bad timing. Luckily I'm only in 9:30 until 12:30 so I can come home and rest a bit afterwards. I'm not looking forward to how early I'll have to wake up though!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I did thanks!
I am very tired though.
Several people pointed out how much of an intense course it is so I'm a bit worried!!
It's a long day for me and I did have a bit of trouble concentrating at the end.

Oh no! Bad luck!
At least it's a pretty short day

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #17
Lilo

I am currently:

Glad it went well, hopefully after a few weeks your body will get used to the routine so it won't be so tiring.

Yeah it was mentioned quite a few times on my induction day that the course is very intense. We were told that we'd should get a course diary/journal & a big wall planner so we could write down all our assignment deadlines. And also to put reminders on our phones. Do you think having something like that would help you feel less worried?

I looked over my timetable as some of my modules don't start until December/February which is why I have 2 short days in college up until then which is good.
I will be starting 4 modules within the first week though which feels quite intense!

Last edited by Lilo : 11-09-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: used the wrong word
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks.
Yeah I'm hoping I'll get used to it!

Those are really good ideas.
I'll definitely have to get planning!

4 modules does seem a lot!
How are you feeling about it all?

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #19
Lilo

I am currently:

I know when I plan for things I am then able to feel a lot more in control about them and less stressed. So I'm hoping if I plan my studying/assignments then I won't get too stressed out over how much work I've got to do.

I'm not feeling too stressed out just yet as I know the first modules we do will be mostly level 2 modules so easier than the Spring/Summer modules. I've also been told my by tutor that we'll have 2/3 weeks to complete our assignments which hopefully means I won't be rushing things last minute!

Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #20
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

That is a good plan!
Im going to try and do the same i think!

It's good you aren't too stressed out about it.
Like you said, planning things will make it lots easier

Who else is fine?!?!?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)