RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 19-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
caz23

Depressive Disorder NEC?

I've recently had copies of my medical records and noticed the letters NEC after my diagnosis. I know that it stands for "not elsewhere classified" and presume that its the same/similar to NOS.

But if I'm honest, I don't really know what it means! I was wondering if any of you guys were familiar with the term and if so could explain it to me?

Thanks in advance.

Old 19-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I think it means that they can't figure out what type of depression you have, e.g bipolar or unipolar or maybe even what has caused it but i'm not entirely sure, sorry. Can you ask a professional about it?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

Old 19-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
caz23

Ahh, nice one. I kinda thought that it was something along those lines too but couldn't find anything defintive having researched it :/

I'm seeing my GP in a week or so I'll probably ask her then.

Thanks for your reply :)

Old 20-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

It can sometimes mean that your symptoms do not immediately fit one or other category or classification - It is also sometimes used to reference the fact that some normal modes of treatment may not be suitable (for the same reason).

Always worth asking about though.

Roiben

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

Old 21-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
caz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roiben View Post
It can sometimes mean that your symptoms do not immediately fit one or other category or classification
Thanks, that definately helps to clarify what 'NEC' means but I'm not entirely sure how it's relevant in my own case, especially when my psych told me that I fit the criteria for MDD. Granted, that was probably about a year ago and things may have changed since then diagnosis wise so I'll definately ask my GP about it next week, hopefully she'll be able to provide a reasonable explanation.

For me personally, obtaining a diagnosis has generally been secondary to gaining relief from my symptoms (although on the flip side of the coin I wouldn't to be misdiagnosed either). So with that in mind I'm not particularly upset about this, but at the end of the day if they've slapped NEC after my diagnosis because I don't quite fit certain criteria or whatever, then I'm naturally going to question why. And also, to an extent it also makes me wonder if there's anything else that they haven't bothered to discuss with me? You know?

Ahh well, rambling on now. Seeing my GP a week today so hopefully she'll be able to put my mind at ease somewhat.

Thanks again

Old 22-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

Often it can be that a diagnosis is not yet formulated - they can treat you for the symptoms you are experiencing at a given time, but a formal diagnosis can take a longer period of time with observation over that period. Therefore if your symptoms have changed or if the period of a diagnosis has elapsed it may be that the DX is noted as being un-classed while that observation is taking place?

Roiben x

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:

Old 22-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
caz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roiben View Post
Often it can be that a diagnosis is not yet formulated - they can treat you for the symptoms you are experiencing at a given time, but a formal diagnosis can take a longer period of time with observation over that period. Therefore if your symptoms have changed or if the period of a diagnosis has elapsed it may be that the DX is noted as being un-classed while that observation is taking place?
That actually does make a lot of sense as I have had a couple of different possible dx's and treatment options thrown about over the past few years. And also with regard to the MDD dignosis my psych did say at the time that I currently met the criteria so I guess thats not necessarily set in stone.

Thank you for helping me out on this one and allowing me to consider it from a different perspective; I do at times have a tendency to get a bee in my bonnet over the most benign of matters!!

Old 23-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

Sometimes talking things through can be the best option - I think it is why forums exist.

*hug*

Roiben x

Emerson Pugh

My blog:

Old 31-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Oledkobo
This Member is currently Banned

I really liked this*information.

Old 31-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I think diagnosis can be quite a hard thing. Over the years I have had many diagnosis' and even now they a continually assessing me because things change and people change and symptoms change as we grow and go through different things.

I didn't know I had schizoaffective disorder till I read it on a discharge letter. Thankfully I had time since to talk to my doctor about it and that really helped me see how I fit the diagnostic criteria. Talking to your doctor is a really good place to start.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Zombie thread.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)