RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #61
Eska

I am currently:

I went on a course a while ago which covered how to deal with high moods, amongst other things. Their recommendation was to keep everything as relaxed and low key and restful as possible. It's totally counterintuitive because normally it would absolutely make sense that being active and doing things would help tire you out and make it easier to rest, but when it's all driven by a high mood then it has the opposite effect - the more you do, the more stimulation you're getting and the more energy you will have and it just spirals faster and faster until things get out of control and/or you crash.

What I find works best is to kind of force myself into not doing things. I might want to walk all the way home, but it's better if I get the bus or train part of the way so I have to sit quietly for a bit. I might want to do tons of research into the new exciting idea I have, but it would be better to read a book or something... And so on. Often this means forcing myself into situations where I don't necessarily have a whole lot of choice about how much I do, so rather than watching a film at home where I can get distracted and go online at the same time or turn it off and go out, I might go to the cinema where you kind of have to sit relatively still, can't look at your phone, etc. Similarly with music - I may want all the upbeat songs in the world, but something chilled is a better idea. And so on.

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #62
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

That makes sense
I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #63
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I agree with Eska, I have to slow things right down to help with high moods. Boring but sometimes that's what we have to do.

Have you given much thought about what you would do should things get worse whilst you are away, what safety nets you could put in place. If they think you are seriously considering a plan of action they might be more willing to let you go...... I suggest a plan that is solely "nahhh I'll be fine" would make them more nervous!

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #64
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'm really not sure what I'd do if things got worse while I was away or what safety nets I'd put in place.
My usual response is 'nah I'll be fine' so it probably would be helpful to think of something else!

Anyone got any suggestions about plans?

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 06-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #65
Auror.
Camden

Will you be with anyone? Maybe talking to them about warning signs or like, making sure they help you remember to take meds (if you have any) or use other coping skills, or make sure you follow routines for hygiene and sleeping.

Can you ask your providers if you can check in with them via text or phone call throughout the trip? Even if you can't have normal appointments, still being able to touch base can be useful.

Also obviously not ideal, but maybe looking into what options there are for changing flights to come home earlier if need be, and/or knowing what hospitals exist where you are in case of emergency?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #66
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'll be on my own unfortunately.
I think they would be more willing to let me go if I was with someone but I have no friends lol

That's a good idea
I'll tell them that I'll still be able to contact them

I'll have a look into that
I won't know where I'm going until Monday morning but when I do find out I'll immediately research cost of flights back and hospitals in the area
I'll definitely be in a city centre location so finding help should be easy if need be

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #67
Shirayuki
No one deserves to be forgotten

I am currently:

You do have friends Cacoethes ^^

thats good, I really hope they allow on letting you go though, you seem very excited about this trip ^^

We'll make it together, one small step at a time

Shirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #68
Eska

I am currently:

I think even if you’re not not with someone Camden’s ideas are good.
- Set reminders on your phone to take your meds.
- Give yourself a curfew - even if you don’t like it, decide you need to be back where you’re staying by a certain time in the evening, and stick to it (that way you can make the most of the next day without being tired and potentially getting worse because of it).
- Consider what the likely time difference might be (I guess you don’t know it exactly) and think about whether you could slightly adjust your routine now to prepare for it.
- Have emergency numbers to hand in case you need them, whether that’s friends or family you can check in with, mental health services if it’s ok to text/call/whatever while you’re away, your travel insurance emergency contact number and policy number, your EHIC (if you’ll be in the EU - my understanding is that the policy governing their use holds til the end of the year).
- Use a mood tracking app; there’s a good one I think from Mind which allows you to add multiple entries through a day and then gives you a graph of your highest and lowest scores of each day, so it captures variation as well as just a kind of overall impression.

I’m sure there’s other stuff I’ve thought of/done before so I may come back and add more!

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #69
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks shira :)

Good suggestions eska!
I'll definitely be in the EU and I have my EHIC card
And the time difference will likely only be an hour ahead as that seems to be the general rule with European countries. I may be wrong though!
I will download a mood tracking app now. That will be helpful in general I think, not just for the holiday!
Thank you, I really do appreciate this!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #70
Eska

I am currently:

https://www.tynesidemind.org.uk/help...d-tracker.aspx

That’s the app I had in mind.

Other thoughts - plan deliberate winding-down time, and take media that will help with that! Have a playlist of chilled out music, download familiar or not-super-tense-and-exciting tv shows/films, have a couple of books (paper or digital) so that if you’ve been busy and a break would be sensible but you don’t feel like doing nothing you have options there. Bonus points if you use them throughout the day - so sit in a cafe and chill out with a book/music/whatever and watch the world go by, say, or head back to where you’re staying for an hour or two to watch something and recalibrate.

Have a decent size water bottle with you, and also substantial snacks. It’s easy to get carried away and distracted and end up eating less than you usually would, or at really irregular times, which is also bad news for your mood. If you have snacks you can react when you realise “oh hey I should probably eat something” rather than it waiting until you’ve figured out where to go, found somewhere/something you like the look of, sorted all that out, potentially got distracted on the way.... Might also be worth setting reminders to prompt yourself to have food at regular intervals. Exploring somewhere new is energy-consuming, so you’ll need the sustenance!

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #71
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

All very good tips!
Thank you!
I think my CC will be impressed!
I won't take all the credit obviously :p

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #72
Auror.
Camden

I was also going to suggest the emergency numbers thing. I'd also have written down a list of any meds you take and diagnoses, so that if you do end up needing treatment (like thinking also if you had a seizure too) then you'd be able to communicate that information easily.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but uh. How is it you don't know where you're going? Not going to lie, traveling alone with no set destination does sound pretty concerning to me, even for someone who is not dealing with mental health issues.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #73
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'll do that :)

Don't worry, it's a legit thing that people do!
I've done two of these holidays before and it's all good.
Just an added bit of an excitement! Plus I can never decide where to go anyway. And they sort out a hotel that they know is good so I don't have to worry about that either

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #74
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

So my CC is happy for me to go so it's all up to the psychiatrist now.
Fingers crossed!

She was very impressed with all the plans you guys suggested!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #75
nonperson

I am currently:

Got my fingers crossed for you too! I'm glad she was impressed too - so many good things were suggested.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #76
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks np!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #77
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Whoop! Do you know where you’re going yet?

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #78
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'm still waiting to hear about the psychiatrists decision.
I am just a massive ball of anxiety!

I won't find out where I'm going until 2 hours before my flight!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #79
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I CAN GO!!!
I am ridiculously relieved!
I mean, I would have gone even if they had said no but it's so much better being told it's ok.
Phew!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #80
Shirayuki
No one deserves to be forgotten

I am currently:

thats great! ^^

i hope you enjoy!!

We'll make it together, one small step at a time

Shirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)