RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Deborrah
Has had the same avatar since 2011

I am currently:
Borderline Personality Disorder

This is a phrase that comes up a lot in my therapy sessions. I've been told recently that this is what I have. After countless articles and videos, it makes so much sense to me. Like I've finally found a path to take in recovery, of sorts. Yet there seems to be so much stigma and negative talk about BPD. Does anyone here have any experience with this disorder?

~* Don't you dare surrender *~
Don't leave me here without you
Cause I could never
~* Replace your perfect imperfection *~

Deborrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 01:59 AM   #2
Auror.
Camden

I used to have it as a diagnosis, but my diagnosis has since been changed. It used to really carry a huge stigma, but I've found at least more recently it doesn't as much since there are a lot more options for treatment. Have you asked what your treatment plan is and/or what your options are?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
Deborrah

I am currently:

Yeah, I've been in DBT for the last while - just finished group sessions last week, and I'm seeing an addictions therapist as well, who was the first person to suggest BPD to me. I'm going back in three weeks' time to talk with the doctor further.

Cause I could never

Old 20-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Soft Kitty

Hello, I was treated for BPD for a very long time. I'm not actually sure if I never in fact had it or if I just recovered but it's not my diagnosis now. Either way, I have a lot of experience of therapy that used to be used for BPD and know a fair bit about it as a condition. Not sure if that's much help really, but happy to try.

That's great that you're going back to talk to the doctors to find out more. How are you feeling about that?

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Deborrah

I am currently:

I'm not really sure. On the one hand I'm glad I'm getting an explanation for why my mental health has been the way it's been for the last 10+ years and I'm excited that I can finally start treating the problem rather than constantly complain and not have anyone listen(the mental health system here is really bad), but on the other hand I feel very nervous about it. Not quite sure what, just general anxiety. Maybe I'm a little afraid that because of this diagnosis some mental health professionals won't want to deal with me.

Cause I could never

Old 23-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Soft Kitty

Getting a new diagnosis can take time to get your head round so it's understandable you might be feeling nervous or unsure. Give yourself time and opportunity to find out more about it (it might be worth seeing if your team know of any good books or websites, there's a lot of outdated stuff out there which might be best avoided).

Personality disorders have been known to carry stigma in the past. For what it's worth, I had a very positive experience with services with a BPD diagnosis and know other people who've received lots of compassion and understanding as well. If you end up seeing a lot of different people over the course of time, you might come across one or two who aren't very understanding (think that's the same with any diagnosis really) but that's usually down to their lack of skill. In which case, see if you can ask for someone who is supportive.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)