RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:
Dealing with anniversaries.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with anniversaries that are triggering? Every year I become unwell with it. This year it's the big 10-year mark and I'm still suffering. I don't know what to do, it's not till November but I'm already panicking.

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 23-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Soft Kitty

I think it's a tricky one and possibly different for everybody, but things which might be useful (or not):
1. Keeping that date free from commitments and surrounding yourself with things that comfort you and feel safe and grounded in the present.
2. Make a list of safe people you can contact or safe places you can go and make sure at least one trusted person knows that it's a significant date and that you might need additional support.
3. Alternatively, plan something really fun to do, maybe something energetic or a favourite thing to do with a favourite trusted person. Sometimes having too much time to think brings things to the fore more.
4. Make an arrangement with the mental health team so that they know you might need some contact on the date.

I think that's all I've got, but I think one of the most important things is reminding yourself that it's 2019, that you're safe now and that the terrible thing happened but you've survived for ten years and you can keep surviving and will be okay.

I think it's really smart to be aware of this and give it some thought like you are. Your knowledge is power, to add a bit of a cliché (sorry).

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Thanks so much. I will take all that into consideration.

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Greyscale
Chat Mod

I try to schedule extra support around them and mention them to providers well in advance just to be sure I can get the extra support scheduled. It's still hard and awful but at least with more support I've survived then.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)