Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
stumpy
Hidden In My Shell I'm the Invisible Person...

I am currently:
Agoraphobia, I'm scared all the time

Recently, my agoraphobia has got worse, there have been arson attacks in my street, so although I don't feel entirely safe in my house, I still feel safer than if I have to leave the house. I make sure all doors and windows are locked, I've even sellotape'd the letterbox shut. I've never felt this scared. I never made it to Mind on Monday, although I did manage to leave the house today to go to my anxiety management group.

I spoke to the co-ordinator at Mind and she suggested I go back to see my GP, and maybe consider going back on anti-psychotic meds, to calm my anxiety, but I have only ever found one helpful, and it's very sedating. I'm scared to re-consider it, because the arson attacks in my street, as I'm fearful of not waking if someone was to target my house.

The police and fire brigade have been round yesterday, asking if anyone has any information on the arson attacks, and the police have been patrolling during the day, the fire brigade have posted leaflets appealing for information, and to tell people to be extra vigilant and ensure you have working smoke alarms.

I don't really know what I'm asking for here, I think I'm just hoping for suggestions on what you would do in my position, re-consider the meds, or just hope the excess anxiety calms over time.

stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Athena4415

I am currently:

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's hard to feel safe when things like that happen too close to home. Would it ease your anxiety to plan an escape route/plan in case of an emergency? Like someone to call, or a fireproof safe to keep valuables in? (I sincerely hope that these recommendations aren't too triggering.) Visits from the Fire Brigade and their pamphlets probably don't help your anxiety at all. It's good that you were able to attend your meeting and talk to someone about it.

Would it be possible to go back on your meds but take a smaller dosage, so you don't have the full sedating effect? Do you have any friends/family close to you that you could stay with for a few days or have them visit? Maybe the company of others will help you relax.

In the meantime, do you have any hobbies or activities to help keep your mind off of your anxiety? An activity that keeps your hands busy would be good. Hope this helps--feel better

Athena4415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
stumpy

I am currently:

My family are away right now, I don't really have any valuables, only my laptop & my phone, I'm just petrified of fire, and it's affecting my anxiety levels, my meds were already on the lowest dose, I'd be happy with a quarter of the usual dosage, so maybe that's something I could speak to the GP about :)

Last edited by stumpy : 26-08-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Old 26-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I'm not a doctor or pharmacist so can't tell you what meds to take, but in my personal experience of trying anxiety meds I've found Pregabalin to be fantastic in lowering my anxiety. It's not sedating really (initially it can be until you are used to the dose) and I don't think I get any side effects. I am tolerating it much better than antipsychotics. Might be something to ask about.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
stumpy

I am currently:

Thanks, I'll ask about that when I see the GP, I'm usually prescribed Promazine, and find it highly sedating, I tried Amitriptyline a few times, but both times it made me feel extremely psychotic and on edge, resulting in me being hospitalised, so I am very wary about trying any new meds :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)