RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Aztec

Travelling to London?

Hey guys!
Basically I'm going to London in April as my partner is taking me for a birthday treat.
I've never been, and I'm getting quite anxious about getting lost and stupid stuff.
Can anyone recommend any hotels near Oxford street? & with the trains, how do you get a day pass? Etc. Any advice would be grand! X

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Have you booked your tickets to get to London? Often there's an option to add a London underground travel card to that ticket, and it can sometimes be quite good value I think.

How long are you staying for? Do you plan to travel around a lot? Otherwise it might be advisable to just pay-as-you-go as opposed to getting a day pass.

Hotel-wise, are you prepared to pay an arm and a leg to stay near Oxford Street? Central london hotels are insanely expensive!

If you're on a budget I would recommend a travelodge really. The Bethnal Green one is rather nice, and is on the central line, so very easy to get to Oxford street from there.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
The One Who

I am currently:

What are you planning on doing? If you are planning on sticking to the centre you can easily walk, and so cut out the need for travel passes.

Why Oxford Street? Not only is it expensive, it's not that great in my opinion. Look a bit further out (although still within walking distance) and you can get some much better deals.

Before any specific advice can be given you'd need to give an idea of budget, length of stay, and what you are planning on doing.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Aztec

We're going for two days, so need a room for 1 night. There are some for around £150 in the centre which don't look that bad tbh.

Mainly, we're going to be doing touristy things. I want to see the palace, big ben
, London eye etc as I've never been to London. He wants to take me for a meal so if any of you know nice restaurants, shout up (:

I want to go to Oxford street for work-related matters as I work at primark and us Primarni colleagues get excited at visiting other stores (sad, I know) haha!

Other than that, I think that's all (:

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
havealittlefaith

I am currently:

I recommend you take the duck tour you see everything as well as go on the river . Have you looked up any of the well known hotel chains such as premiere inn, late rooms , travelodge and holiday inn maybe think of staying somewere like angel , kings cross , euston there all accessible to oxford street and reasonable priced. X

havealittlefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Epicene

I am currently:

Victoria is worth looking at - you will probably find a larger/nicer hotel room for your money, even though it won't be too much different from Piccadilly prices. It's within walking distance to Westminster/Southbank/Oxford street and is well connected in terms of transport.

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Salazar
An individual bursting out of a bubble

I am currently:

You could even try somewhere like Clapham in South London, I think there's a travelodge there as well. It's 10 minutes on the train from Victoria and then about 5 on the tube to Oxford Circus or an easy walk/2 minute tube journey to Buckingham Palace.

As Narcissa says you can usually add a travelcard onto your ticket for an extra fee but it's cheaper than buying the two separately. Speak to the person at the ticket office of the station you are travelling from, or at the ticket office when you get off the train.

How much travelling by public transport do you think you'll be doing?

It goes to show, that no matter how bad things get for me, there is still always one thing which brings me happiness. I must cling to this for it is the making of me, the beginning of my resurgance and the fightback epitomised. I will defeat my demons.

An ode to joy
A road to love
A note to keep your head above
The rising tide's not yet a flood on this shore

Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
Puppet Strings
commonplace.

I'd recommend the Travelodge at Waterloo.
It's close to Southbank/London Eye/a tube stop, you can walk to Covent Garden easily enough and Oxford Street/Regent Street etc too if you're happy to walk further.

Travelcards are fantastic and reasonably priced considering a single tube journey can cost around £4.
They're obviously great for getting around, but I like them if you're in an unfamiliar city because it means you can just wander without fear of getting lost; if you do, you just walk until you hit the nearest tube stop and you're sorted.
Also, places like South Kensington have awesome free museums (Nat Hist, Science, V&A) and the tube's usually the best idea if you're coming from Oxford Street etc area (it's a bit of a walk otherwise).

Last edited by Puppet Strings : 15-01-2014 at 12:52 AM.

I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

:heart:

Puppet Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Frozen Yoghurt
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Picadilly circus once it's dark is beautiful (and Ripley's Believe it or not is good fun and open late)

Frozen Yoghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Strings View Post
Travelcards are fantastic and reasonably priced considering a single tube journey can cost around £4.
Only if you're whizzing around in zone 5 or pay cash fare, and I nearly killed Conor (TheWarDoctor) when I found out he'd done that one time :P Even if you are only coming for a little while, it could be worth it to get an oyster card, as that means single journeys around the centre only cost £2.20. You pay £5 for an oyster card, but that is refunded when you give it back at the end.

Ataraxia, how are your plans progressing?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)