Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #61
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I don't know how much has been mentioned to you where you are. I can imagine it's really hard to grasp what is going on in the world when you've been in hospital for so long. But I do hope that you understand that if you get discharged in the next week, the world you are going out into is vastly different than the normal world. Are you prepared to be able to cope with that, and to be able to cope with very limited in-person support from treatment providers, friends, and family for the foreseeable future? Because if not, they absolutely need to know that now.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #62
MissGranger

I am currently:

My support workers have been taking me out so yes I do know and anything is better than this.

MissGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #63
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Do you know what the staff are expecting you to do while you're in for now?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #64
MissGranger

I am currently:

They haven't said. They know I can't and won't do anything in here anyway. It's time to go home. Supposed to see the consultant tomorrow. I just really hope he listens.

Old 20-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #65
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

How did you get on today?

Old 20-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #66
MissGranger

I am currently:

Not great, although it all remained calm. I didn't get discharge or overnight leave but having a CPA Wednesday.

Old 22-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #67
MissGranger

I am currently:

Literally in lockdown. Things couldn't get any worse.

Old 22-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #68
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

It's a hard time right now. Would you still be allowed to be discharged if you were considered to be well?

Old 22-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #69
MissGranger

I am currently:

Why wouldn't I be allowed? I can't stay stuck in here for 12 weeks.

Old 23-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #70
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

One step closer- that’s actually a really valid point. It’s a trust by trust decision cos there’s no central guidance by the government etc. Most trusts are keen to discharge as many as possible to free up staff and ward space. I have seen a couple of the nursing groups etc though where the trusts are doing the opposite. Valid point though.

There are NO central guidelines re S17 leave at the moment. It’s a massive cause of discussion within the MH nursing groups/general community etc because like everybody else, they’re just trying to do the best they can within trust guidelines. Obviously the MHA law changes are applicable but these don’t suggest any changes to the detention or treatment of people already on a 2 or 3.

I think staff need to be making patients aware about the changes to community staff support though (ie almost all contact being via video link or phone etc). But presumably if patients are about to be discharged they will have the capacity to rationalise these measures, even if they are something that will be difficult for people to manage in real life xx

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 01:09 AM   #71
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Equally, if patients have S17 leave and are about to be discharged, it’s very reasonable to expect them to have capacity to weigh up the risks of breaking social distancing etc. Although I do feel there needs to be some ‘prep’ sessions for those who may be discharged after a few weeks or more in hospital, because this is NOT the same community as when people went into hospital. Even for those with carers etc...

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #72
MissGranger

I am currently:

Well anyway they cannot keep me under section without good reason. Therefore I should be allowed home.

Old 23-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #73
Greyscale
Chat Mod

I totally hear you. I do think, though, that they tend to take someone's ability to manage in the community into consideration in these decisions, so if they don't think you'll be able to manage without much (if any) in person support/input, that may count as a reason not to discharge. I do hope that you and they are able to work towards getting home sooner than later.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #74
chinahorse

I am currently:

I'm not getting at you so please just answer this question in the gentle but curious way its asked.

What exactly do you want to go home for? Given that as a non key worker you wouldnt even be able to leave the house. And you would have no supplies in the house either. Due to the length of time you've been in hospital surely you have everything there as in clothes and books etc that you would have at home? Am also wondering how you would get home without putting others at risk as you cant travel except for work or essential needs.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #75
MissGranger

I am currently:

Being discharged is an essential need. I need to be in the right kind of environment. I have some stuff here but not that much and can't concentrate enough to do anything in this environment. I have been through a lot here so need to go home for my own sanity. I have freezer full of food at home. So to me it is an essential thing that I go back to my own home where I will have my cat and my T.V.

Old 24-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #76
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

I can see where you're coming from there. However I wouldn't be surprised if they were reluctant to discharge you at the moment as it's a big step going from long-term inpatient to being at home again and they won't be able to offer the usual community support to help you manage the transition.

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #77
Eska

I am currently:

It's worth noting that the Coronavirus Bill which is being passed through Parliament removes a local authority's duty to provide social care in many cases, and their duty to carry out any new assessments. That's an important consideration - you may well not get the level of social care support you've had in the past. You may get none at all.

A lot of mental health teams are also moving to telephone /video appointments, as Pomegranate said, so it could easily be that if you were discharged you would have no face to face contact with any mental health professional.

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #78
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

My cpn came yesterday and she told me that they've stopped all face to face appointments to all but those who are of the severest unwell and those on a depot. Even the psychiatrists are only doing telephone appointments so even a psychiatrist appointment following discharge may be out of the question.

I get that you are desperate to get out of hospital. But at least whilst you're ip you get someone to talk to 24/7 and prompt medical care. Those aren't available to everyone outside of hospital atm. They are not even testing everyone who has suspected coronavirus just those who are displaying severe symptoms or key workers. I know it's hard but it may be that hospital is the lesser of two evils given the current situation.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 24-03-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #79
MissGranger

I am currently:

Well I can't say I agree. I get no care here anyway so would make no difference it would just mean I'm able to be in my own home which I have every right to be in!

Old 24-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #80
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

You could get care if you wanted it though. Which is more than what would occur at home.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)