RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 31-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
forever_lost

I am currently:
please help me....

I had my tonsils taken out on the 28th. I hate liquid medicine of any kind. I've been taking it anyway but I decided I'd rather suffer the pain this evening. It doesn't matter now...it hurts too much to swallow...anything. Even my own saliva. I've been spitting it out for hours and have had very little to eat and drink the past couple days. It hurts so bad...I tried not to cry but now that I've started it's hard to stop which makes it worse. I've got a headache and feel a little weak. I want to drink a cup of ice water before I go to sleep but I'm not sure I can. I'm so sorry this is getting long. I don't even know what I'm looking for. Support...advice...please help.

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

Old 31-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
iiLL3GAL
Don't leave me to die here, help me survive here.

I am currently:

I think you should just very quickly gulp down the liquid medicine. Sure, it will hurt at first, but then it'll get better and you'll be able to swallow again. I don't advise sleeping until you do that, because when you wake up in the morning your throat might feel worse.

Click it. Very powerful song and video that describes how verbal abuse actually affects people.

You had to have it all, Well have you had enough?
You greedy little bastard, You will get what you deserve.
When all is said and done,
I will be the one to leave you in the misery and hate what you've become.

Old 31-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Animad

I agree with what has been said above, this is why you need to take the meds and why you need to take them at the times given as you need to stop it swelling up and becoming this sore. You need to take it asap and then hopefully after a while it will be effective and you'll be able to eat/ drink etc again because at the moment all you'll do is make yourself very ill and weak and that will mean that it takes longer to heal.

Sucking on ice cubes may also help with the pain and take down some of the swelling but you do need to take your meds; even if the ice helps enough to then soothe it so you can swallow the meds easier.

Old 31-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
forever_lost

I am currently:

thanks, I've found that I can eat ice chips..which is better than nothing. I just feel better that I'm able to get some water down. I don't understand, the medicine doesn't even taste that bad. I just turn into a 5 year old when it's put in front of me. But I'm trying....

Old 31-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Stellata

Can you get someone to give it to you in a spoon with your eyes closed? My mum always used to do that for me with the medication I used to have to take every morning and night in syrup form when I was a child.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
DthCab4Cutie94

I am currently:

i had my tonsils out last year and this pain is normal. it hurts like hell but taking the liquid medicine is essential.

hope it helps

Namaste
“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”-Buddha

Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Animad

I agree with the above. You have to take the meds. Can you just force yourself to take them as it's starting to sound more psychological rather than anything else with you saying you suddenly tuen 'into a five year old wheen it's put in front of me'. Would it be easier for you to pour it out yourself? What about measuring it out with a spoon/ the appropriate measuring spoon that came with and then maybe putting it into a cup or something and drinking it, that way it may not seem like the same as taking the meds but you REALLY need to or else the problem is just going to keep on worsening and you need to start to be able to get food and drink down you. Just the occasional water from an ice cube isn't enough.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
forever_lost

I am currently:

I'm doing better. Yesterday I poured and swallowed liquid medicine and was very proud of myself. I hope when i was crying and feeling the yuky-ness of my throat and mouth (to sugarcoat it) the other night, that it was the worst of it. It's hurts less and now I'm able to swallow pills! But it still hurts a lot. Today I didn't eat much at all and I've been pretty weak and tired but I managed some soup. Choosing pain over hunger is hard for me.
Hopefully I'll be strong enough to go to school Monday.
Thanks for all the support and pushing me to take the medicine.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

are you taking paracetamol?
when matt has his tonsils removed, he couldn't swallow suspensioncoz it was too gloopy, the dr recommeneded dispersible (disolvable) paracetamol or the lemsip powders you can get - either to make a drink of or you can get some now that you pour directly in your mouth and it disolves.
mand x

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
forever_lost

I am currently:

I was prescribed liquid hydrocodone but it made me nauseous and dizzy and tired, so much my parents wouldn't leave me alone in the house. And it tasted like straight alcohol and cough drops... So we tried liquid tylenol, cherry flavored, since my doctor said only to take acetaminophen, and I've now tried taking it in tablets.
Disovlable medicine sounds like a great idea though! I think I'll ask my doctor about it or see if theres anything over the counter. thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Animad

Yes, you can by acetaminophen in a form that you drop into water and it then bubbles away for a bit and the whole water is it. Those sorts of tablets are known as effervescent ones. You MUST read what is said on the label and only take them after they been in the water an appropriate length of time or they react with the water in your mouth which will much worsen your problems.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
gellarbing

I am currently:

oh i remember having my tonsils out when i was 5 so i really feel your pain :(
it will be easier though i can promise you that, i used to find that ice cream would sooth it

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)