RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 27-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
die in the summertime

I am currently:
Triggering (OD) - Codeïne ...

Ok if this is not allowed feel free to delete it!

I've never done drugs but planning on doing so... But as I want to be "safe" I would like to know if taking codeïne is dangerous? I'm home alone so ... Any bad side-effects?

I read somewhere... how important it is in life
not necessarily to be strong...
but to feel strong.

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 27-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Stellata

We at RYL cannot encourage taking any drugs.

However you are welcome to talk about any feelings you are struggling with right now, talking can help you feel so much better, and more healthy. Trying to escape them can feel very seductive, but it is not the way out.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
*Beth*
Beth

I am currently:

Codeine can be dangerous if it is used in a way that isn't medically advised.. ie to excess, with certain other medicines or when not required (recreationally).

Side effects usually consist of:

Changes in mood

Drowsiness

Slow, shallow breathing (respiratory depression)

Addiction to the medicine (dependence)

Skin rashes

Low blood pressure (hypotension)

False perceptions of things that are not really there (hallucinations)

Nausea and vomiting

Constipation

Codeine can become addictive, and repeated use can result in long-term changes in the way the nervous system functions: •stomach bleeding •kidney damage •liver
damage •"itchies" •constipation •nausea •hangover •tiny pupils •blurred vision •poor night vision •impair your ability to drive •lowered heart rate, blood pressure and breathing •disorientation •convulsions •hallucinations •depression •sexual problems •agitation •tremors •seizures

Suddenly stopping it can cause withdrawal symptoms such as headache, stomach cramps, heartbeat irregularity, blood-pressure problems and muscle pain & weakness.

If you've taken too much and are having side-effects you should really speak to a Doctor soon. x

Last edited by *Beth* : 27-07-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo

It's gonna take a long time to love

It's gonna take a lot to hold on

It's gonna be a long way to happy.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
die in the summertime

I am currently:

Thanks for the list of side-effects...

The reason I want to take it is because I need to "not feel" for a bit...I'm well aware that this is a very bad method and that it doens't help in the long run... but I can't SI (I've stopped) and can't go back to ED behaviour because people will notice... and this is something nobody has to know... I only plan on taking it once...

but to feel strong.

Old 27-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
chingas
Why does everything have to change?

I am currently:

Don't do it even for once.. 'Cause you might get addicted by only one time..

Please.. There are other ways.. You already know that SI or ED haven't helped you so believe me.. taking drugs won't make you feel any better in a long run..

Try to talk to someone.. Use RYL livehelp or sending mail to for RYL advisers(firstaid@recoveryourlife.com).. Or talk to someone you know and trust..
Write your feelings down to paper.. That might help too.. Just please don't give up and do drugs.. *hugs*

Old 27-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Aidee

I am currently:

Abusing prescription medication is just as bad as SI or ED behavior.

The medication is not going to give you what you are seeking, and you have the potential to have bad side affects, become addicted or OD.

Please contact the RYL supporters, 1-800-Suicide, NHS direct, or whatever the local support line is for help.

Under no circumstances should you abuse prescription medications.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 27-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Psychedelic Doodle Pop

Erm, I doubt codeine would make you feel numb, most likely it will make you feel very ill. Whenever I take some I get headaches and feel sick, and I've overdosed on co-codamol which has codeine in it, and bloody hell you don't want to be that sick and headachey. It's not nice numbness like with other drugs, it's just painful and achey.

Take care, we're here to talk to you and help you through the reasons behind wanting to take it.

Old 27-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
die in the summertime

I am currently:

Ok I only just saw that my thread was moved here (didn't even know we had a first aid place...) so I posted another one in serious because I've taken some meds with codeïne in it (I guess I should've posted it here... sorry about that) ... now I PM'd a first aid advisor to be sure that I didn't take to much. I think I'll be ok... it wasn't much but it did make me dizzy and numb... I'm starting to feel sick now though :/ Is throwing up a good idea?

Again I aploagize for posting in the wrong areas...

Last edited by ***** : 27-07-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added a question

but to feel strong.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)