RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:
Panic attacks during sleep.

I'm not sure whether this should be here of in MH, so please moddies, feel free to move if needs be.

I seem to be having panic attacks in my sleep when I'm especially anxious during the day/before bed. I fall asleep, worrying & then wake up (I don't know how long after), struggling to breathe, my heart racing, & a general feeling of dread - as if something terrible is going to happen or I'm dying or having a heart attack. I jolt awake & am so so terrified I can't fall back asleep because I'm scared I'll have another panic attack.
I'm not sure whether its related to nightmares, causing me to panic in my sleep, or the fear I fall asleep with.

Is it even possible to have a panic attack in your sleep & have it wake you up? I've never experienced this before & its making sleeping even more difficult than it already was...

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
The Queen of Peace
Always does her best to please.

I am currently:

I guess it would be possible. Because your mind is still active in your sleep.

*hugs* Helen, this sounds really difficult. Do you know what is causing such anxiety, and how you have helped it in the past?

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Don't ever frown because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.

The Queen of Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I've experienced this occasionally, when I'm having a really difficult time. It is truly horrendous and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it. *gentle hugs*

Do you know what's making you so anxious at the moment? If you can find a way to deal with that, I'm sure it would help a lot.

If you can make sure you're as relaxed as possible before you go to sleep, that can make a difference. I know it's easier said than done though. Is there anything that might help - writing down your worries, relaxation exercises etc? I wish I had more helpful advice, but I really hope you find something that helps. Also it would be worth discussing with your team / GP because they may have some helpful ideas and to be sure there's nothing else going on. xx

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I get this a couple of times a month, a long with some really weird thought processes. I find the best thing to do is to distract myself until I am calm again, sometimes I even go to another room so I don't associate my bed with stress.

I'm not really sure what to suggest to be honest as I still get them but they are really unpleasant I agree!

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I spoke to my therapist today & she suggested writing a list of all my fears, stresses & things I have to do the next day to clear my mind before sleep. She also said if I wake up during a panic attack to leave the room for a bit & take stock of whats going on, that way I'm not falling asleep panicked & have then a further panic attack.

I'm going to trial it tonight & see if it helps.

x x x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)