RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

No God bus campaign.

This has been in the news recently.

Atheists have launched an advert on buses proclaiming "there's probably no god, so stop worrying and enjoy your life".

Atheists launch bus ad campaign

Man refuses to drive "no god" bus

Do you think, as a christian society, these sorts of adverts should be allowed?

I know we have freedom of speech, but it seems hypocritical when technically the Queen is the head of the church of england and we are a christian country.

Then again, if christians are allowed to walk around with microphones annoying most of London, then atheists should be allowed their campaign too.

(I am actually a christian, but those weird evangelists with microphones scare me).

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by control freak View Post
Then again, if christians are allowed to walk around with microphones annoying most of London, then atheists should be allowed their campaign too.
This.

I like them :)

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
hellohefalump
fishki

I don't have a problem with it personally. But isn't this 'ramming religion down our throats'? I know atheism is 'no religion' but it still falls into the catagory of 'religion' doesn't it?

I'm not sure other religious groups like christians or muslims would get away with this? Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't given it a lot of thought.

I can see how the ad would offend many people.

If I were a bird - fish
My wings I would spread
I'd swoop over you
And plop on your head.

hellohefalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

Yes, this is a Christian country...but we are also a country that is tolerant and accepting (supposedly) of all cultures and relgions. This goes for Athieism too. In an ideal world, we would all just accept each others beliefs and leave it at that. It does irritate me somewhat that people feel the need to broadcast their opinion and make other people feel small and patronised.

Still, that said, I don't see why an Athiest shouldn't be allowed to express their beliefs when there are nutjobs with megaphones running around condemning innocent strangers to Hell.

No matter what the message, someone is going to be offended. It just comes down to how secure people are in their own beleifs and whether they have the maturity to just let it go.

This does make me wonder though...if the message had been about Islam or if it had been something about God being the one true God and so on, there would be an aproar surely?
If this group of Athiests can advertise their beliefs, what is to stop other people advertising their relgions too? It would just be a never ending bombardment of relgious views and end up being a childish little battle of undermining each other.

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohefalump View Post
I don't have a problem with it personally. But isn't this 'ramming religion down our throats'? I know atheism is 'no religion' but it still falls into the catagory of 'religion' doesn't it?

I'm not sure other religious groups like christians or muslims would get away with this? Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't given it a lot of thought.

I can see how the ad would offend many people.
Where I am at least Christians have been advertising things such as the Alpha course on buses for a long time. Churches frequently have large brightly coloured bill boards "advertising" their religion. And so yes I think other religious groups already get away with it.

I also think an important point is is that the phrase used is that "there probably is no God". The use of probably is important, as then it isn't directly contradicting any religion, just saying that they're probably wrong. If it was something like "religion is for morons" then yes it would be offensive, but I think the way it's put states their point, without it being too inflammatory.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about the Alpha posters.

But, I guess christians dont have bus adverts saying "Repent or go to hell".

Atheists complain other religions ram their beliefs down their throat, and now they are doing the same.

It feels like a war every time I see some religious propoganda.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I think it's wrong for any adverts regarding religion (or lack thereof) to be put up as adverts. Beliefs are beliefs, not products. In this case I quite like the slogans However I do not think it's right, even being an athiest myself. I am majorly pissed off whenever I see adverts for christianity or whatever, so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to support adverts for Athiesm.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Tuesday

eh, live and let live. i don't think it should be a big deal. freedom of speech...christians should be able to say what they want to, atheists should be able to do the same :)

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Le Almighty Kitten

Atheists as a whole aren't doing this, it's the Humanist Association that's behind this campaign. To be honest, whilst i don't think this is the best way to go about 'advertising' Humanism/Atheism, i think it's fantastic in the sense that it's got people talking about religion and belief. Prompting the social conscience to realise that Humanism/Atheism plays an important role in modern culture.

18.11 28.4 6.5 22.31

My heart just needs his smile, that i can't forget, like so melancholy a kiss.

Le Almighty Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Dreamofunity

If they paid for the advertisement they should be allowed to put whatever they want up there as long as the company approves.

Dreamofunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Useless Information 101
We're all in this together :)

I am currently:

While religious beliefs as products and propoganda doesnt really go well, the bus campaign isnt doing anything new. We just finally get to see another side of the coin when it comes to beliefs. Its about time. As long as they are being pushed as products, why shouldn't atheism be promoted as well?
Some people may be offended, but Im sure people that arent christian and see christian signs are just as offended but because its the majority religion, not much is done about it.

I dont think this could happen in the US, I would love for it too though. Just the other day on my way to uni I saw a billboard that said "Do you accept Jesus", some biblical quote, and a hint at burning in hell if you didnt. But I guess thats okay.

Dream.

Useless Information 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
miss_kitty

i love it!

i feel that we are pressured into accepting 'christianity', and i really resent and object to it.

i can see that this may be offensive, but hopefully by bending the bar a bit to far there will end up being some balance.

i want to know what douglas adams quote they are using? the 'proof denies faith' bit would work; i've used it before in religious discussions - to amusment and offense i admit.

"Thinking is the most unhealthy thing in the world"
(Oscar Wilde)

miss_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Target Dawn
The Despairing Vegetarian

I am currently:

Even though I'm not in London, if I see signs or other adverts promoting religion (or lack of it) then it doesn't bother me at all. There are so many signs around here saying "Jesus loves you" and the like, that I think athiests have the right to say there probably isn't a God.
Meh, that's just my opinion.

Previous username: Miss-Ruby

R.I.P my budgie Bubbles 26/01/09...in my <3 forever.

Target Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 04:59 AM   #14
one lie at a time
Katie

I am currently:

I don't understand why it matters to people whether I believe in God or not.

one lie at a time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

^ Apparently, these buses are being trialled in Washington & London, they were going to be in Italy too, but the gvmt. pulled out.

Old 23-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
miss_kitty

apparently they have started in manchester. a friend of my mums is having treatment for breast cancer, and she said it made her day when she stepped out of the hospital and saw that.

"Thinking is the most unhealthy thing in the world"
(Oscar Wilde)

miss_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I like them a lot.
If it makes people question the world, what they've been raised to believe, and things they take for granted, I can't see how that could ever be a negative thing.

Old 23-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

m not fussed either way,but then i dont pay attention to things like that usually lol.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #19
TheCon

I think they're great and should be just as allowed as those stupid christian ones as well.

Old 23-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #20
Staybeautiful

I see it as publicizing a belief, just like you have Christianity posters (I've seen them in train stations). If Christian posters are around to advertise their God, why should publicizing the beliefs of atheists be any different?

Staybeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)