RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
singing potato
Hope is real

I am currently:
Even animals know

The other day me, my roommate, and our friend was chilling, watching Netflix. My mind started going and next thing I know I am CRAVING SI. There are only two ways to be all alone at that moment to hurt myself. I would either have to take a bath which to my roommate is code for "I'm going to hurt myself", that's how he figured out I relapsed. The other option is have some playtime with my chinchilla, so I chose that. I got him in the bathroom, let him run around. I went and sat in the tub and started going at it. Then my chinchilla kept looking at me like "What's going on?" or "What are you doing mommy?". Next thing I know he lets out what would be a distress cal. It surprised me that I set him off so I completely stopped.

Anyone else have an experience like that?

http://operationbeautiful.com/
What you feel is what you are
And what you are, is beautiful

singing potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
starryeyed

Animals are pretty awesome like that.

My dog on many times has given me a nudge when I'm feeling bad. Or pestered the living hell out of me.
Amazing :)

starryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

i always felt like my dogs knew when i'd harmed much more than my parents did. they'd always sniff the area. although, since they are dogs, i guess that they are much more likely to smell blood than my parents would be anyways? (as i always covered it up so it wasn't visible).

but they always seem to know when i'm sad though, one comes and sort of sits on top of me usually and the other goes crazy licking me. usually helps comfort me a bit.

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Stellata

No one [not 'even' animals] wants to see the one they care about and who cares about them hurting.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Tig

Animals are very sensitive to human emotions/feelings. xx

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
xlaurenx

I am currently:

Yes. I had my old dog who would constanstly smellthe area were I had sh-ed, try to lick the wound and has licked my carpet when some blood ended up there. My dog i have currently will also just keep going back to the site , if I have hurt myself, not through sh and still lick the wound . So yep I have had that too.

xlaurenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Meganrose

I've had certain dogs superglue their noses to the area i've self harmed! It's really hard to subtly push them away! hah. I guess really it must just smell different!
Myrddin our family dog can sense the minute I'm feeling bad. I can act fine all I want around my family, but he'll ruin it by coming up to me, head in my lap, gazing up at me, whining and pawing, making more of a fuss than normal!
Animals can definitely tell when things aren't right, more than people can, so it almost doesn't suprise me about your chinnie, but he must definitely really love you! :)

Meganrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Koriandr
Oprah Noodlemantra

I am currently:

Sometimes I am totally convinced that animals care a lot more than we give them credit for.

My chicken used to make a lot of cooing noises whenever I'd SH, and it always sounded like she was crying whenever I hurt myself. It didn't make me completely stop, but I always felt more guilty when I heard her do that.

Come on, skinny love,
Just last the year.

Koriandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
lala...

I am currently:

I have a ring neck parrot, he roams about the house freely a lot of the time. Once I was upset and crying, and he would not leave my shoulder.

If you spoke to other people the way you speak to yourself, how many friends would you have?
Be kind to yourself.
You're only human.

lala... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
PaleMoon

I am currently:

My cats would always jump up on my bed and cuddle with me when I was upset or crying.

They would bump their faces against my cuts and sniff them.

I never believe anyone who thinks that cats are anti-social creatures who hate humans. All the cats I've had make really strong bonds with humans.

My name is Matt, and I am a boy. Feel free to PM me :)

I have learned that the world is not a safe place. Not at all. But there are so many people who love me and want to keep me safe. And that is enough.

PaleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Once, after I had been to the therapists and had a really awful time my parents wanted to go to the library. I sat in a chair and stared out the floor-sized window. Suddenly, a cat came up to the window, looking at me. I put my hand on the window and it started to rub it's head up against the window, then when I walked outside it had came around to the entrance and meowed at me. It sounds like something out of a movie! It was magical.

Also, my Dads' Girlfriends' dog is extremely loyal and never leaves her side for anything. But when I was in my room alone, close to crying, her dog actually came in to the room and layed beside me. Something she would never do before.

I don't know if animals understand our emotions, but they sure as hell can feel when something is 'wrong'.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
singing potato
Hope is real

I am currently:

Wow these are all amazing stories. I guess animals just have a sort of sixth sense about emotions.

Old 22-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
RenewedHope
formerly: Ghosted Liberation & GhostsInSnow

I am currently:

My two pups will come and nuzzle me and lick my face if I'm feeling down
And, not so much with my new mice, but my old mice used to go crazzy to come out of the cage if I was feeling depressed. One of them in particular would sit really still on my hand and let me stroke the top of her head.
She never let me do that any other time
I know it might sound stupid but I give partial credit of my recovery to those mice because they really did help with when I was really down and depressed

RenewedHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
TinaRapson

I am currently:

Aww that's cute!
I taught one of my cats to give kisses and he usually only does it when I tell him too. When I'm feeling upset, he'll come to my room, jump on my bed and nudge my face (his way of giving kisses) and start purring. And my other cat (the meaner one) will just come and lie on my bed, which she hardly ever does unless I'm upset.

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly <3

TinaRapson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Amalias

I am currently:

I have a really crabby cat, who is never given to affection unless there is food involved, and would more likely bite you than let you pat her. She lives at my sisters because my place doesn't allow pets.
One night when I was staying over there alone, I was having a bad trigger attack and my cat, she jumps up onto my bed, climbs on my lap, curls up and goes to sleep.
She's never done that before and I didn't SI that night.

Amalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
Danceintherain804
Never Stop Dreaming

I am currently:

Mhmm! Animals are great!! My kitties always flock to me whenever I'm super upset and they purr and cuddle like nobody's business <3 and I've tried SHing in front of one of them before but I couldn't do it because she saw that I was crying and trying to hurt myself and she looked so sad. And whenever I don't move for a while my kitties get super worried and rub against me til I respond :)

"I believe in running through the rain and crashing into the person you love and having your lips bleed on each other"

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."

~Rachel~

Danceintherain804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Kimaru
Fight off the lethargy

I am currently:

My moms boyfriend (whom I hate) had recently gotten a dog (whom I liked). We'd only had the dog for a few weeks but he did nearly nothing with her so I ended up taking her for walks and playing with her.

One night I was really depressed because my new job was terrible and I just couldn't handle it and school anymore. It was one of the worst nights I've ever had actually. I was home alone with the dog, I got really drunk, had taken a few pills and cut a fair bit. I passed out and woke up to find that the dog had broken out of her kennel (not an easy feat) and was lying next to me licking my face. It was really surprising because she was a very nervous, shy dog as she'd been abused by her previous owner. I got up and she followed me around for the whole evening while I cleaned up and laid by my bed until morning.

She was really an amazing dog, it's a shame he got rid of her.

My cat doesn't really notice anything like that. The only thing she's done was repeatedly try to sit on my face until I had to kick her out of the room when I had the flu once...maybe it was because I had a fever and so my face was warm and cozy?

"Some people get by, with a little understanding. Some people get by, with a whole lot more."
-The Sisters Of Mercy

Kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Taliesin
Надежда

I am currently:

Animals are incredibly sensitive. My cat used to be so cuddly that it got bothersome when I would cry or even just feel miserable. He'd be aggressively cuddle, haha. I haven't been fully miserable in front of my new dog to gauge how he will react yet!

tu as tant de choses à dire,
mais le tout reste enfermer.
et quand tu ne sais plus quoi dire,
tu te mets à pleurer.
Mais ça ton publique le voit pas,
tu l'incites à rêver, pendant que toi tu le regarde...

Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
pandachan
maybe, definitely

I am currently:

my dog was pretty much my only friend during my teen years when i was struggling with this stuff the most. she would come in with her big baleful sad eyes and i just knew that she knew what was going on. my kitties were always the same way, totally independent and like 'bitch don't touch me' when they wanted to be, but when I was really sad or SI'ing they would come over and nuzzle me.

animals are amazing and they really do have that sixth sense, they have a powerful capactity to empathize. <3 i think they're really healing to have around, and it's making me sad to write this because i recently lost my dog to a break-up where he refused to let me keep him.. beh.

pandachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
singing potato
Hope is real

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandachan View Post
my dog was pretty much my only friend during my teen years when i was struggling with this stuff the most. she would come in with her big baleful sad eyes and i just knew that she knew what was going on. my kitties were always the same way, totally independent and like 'bitch don't touch me' when they wanted to be, but when I was really sad or SI'ing they would come over and nuzzle me.

animals are amazing and they really do have that sixth sense, they have a powerful capactity to empathize. <3 i think they're really healing to have around, and it's making me sad to write this because i recently lost my dog to a break-up where he refused to let me keep him.. beh.
Awww -hugs- I am so sorry to hear that, it's a shame you couldn't keep him

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)