RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #61
Serendipity.
fabulous.

That's great Sophie, well done! So happy for you!! :)

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #62
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

YEY well done soph!! <3

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #63
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thank you Hannah and Sophie! And congrats on your new job Sophie!

I have been filling in forms and sending them back to HR today so the process has started. I have emailed my new manager a few times, and she is already incredibly supportive. She said she has a flexible attitude towards any issues that may affect my ability to work so I let her know a little of what's happened this year about being signed off and stuff and she said she agreed with my GP that this job would be much better for me and less stressful than working in retail :) and she reassured me that there are toilets really close by that I can use whenever I need to. So I feel a lot more relaxed.

Jodie sounds like a good idea to accept the supervisor position and see what its like. It would be brilliant on your CV. If you enjoy shop work you could look for part time retail positions in shops that you enjoy shopping in!

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #64
Iamcatbug
Cat

Hello all,

I've just gone back to a job that I left for the second time a few years ago. And this time, I've gone back with the intention of finally going full time once I finally finish my MA and turning it into a career.

The only issues I am having at the moment is organising my sleep pattern. I'm really not tired when I go to bed and sleep hygiene isn't working. Hopefully I'll settle into it better soon.

I'm also finding it weird to be back at my old job, in some ways it feels like a step back rather than forwards, even though I know it isn't.

Congratulations/good luck to everyone who has gotten new jobs, applying, looking for work.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #65
#{null}
Member of the secret police

worked 47 hours this week, not including the saturday work, and boss is all "where do you spend all your time" fml.

"It is possible to make no mistakes and lose. That is not failure; that is life."
-Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard

#{null} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #66
Sooty
Sophie

I am currently:

Those are some long hours Andy! I hope you're paid for all those hours!

Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #67
#{null}

two of the overtime hours are paid for, the rest arent!

"It is possible to make no mistakes and lose. That is not failure; that is life."
-Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard

Old 27-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #68
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

How comes they are paid for?

I feel like a failure. I was meant to do full time again last week but struggled to do two days. I took rest the week off. I'm meant to be working tomorrow but I can't face it. I think I need to go back to reduced hours.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #69
#{null}

Depends if the company is asking me to do something, or im catching up on work I should have done but wasnt given enough time :P

-Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard

Old 28-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #70
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Hey all. It's been awhile since I've been on but I stopped by and saw this thread and it is just so relevant to me right now :)

First off, congrats on everyone who found awesome jobs! So exciting!!

I can totally sympathize with the nastiness of job hunting. I'm about to finish up my second degree and have been job hunting for the past couple of months. It's no fun.

I got offered a position that I really, really wanted but I had to turn it down. That was painful. It just didn't pay anywhere near enough to live on.

But, last week I accepted a position here at my university. I'm super nervous about it, partially because I'm going to have to supervise a student AND because there's a lot to learn, and partially because I have no idea if it's "career relevant" or not. It's in the research compliance office, so basically I'll take research proposals and organize them, process them, answer questions about them, etc. They asked me in the interview how I felt about animal testing too, so I'm nervous it will be depressing, but we're a vet school so maybe not? Idk.

Thing is, it paid the most out of anything I applied for, and I really don't know what my career aspirations are; sad at 25 I think. I also found that most jobs I was qualified for paid terribly and really only expected a high school education; anything that required college work also wanted a bunch of years of specific experience.

So...that's where I am. I've told myself if I absolutely hate it I can always job search again in a year.

PoppyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #71
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Hello

I am so late to the party!

I am hoping to start a new job soon just waiting for HR to go through

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #72
Juniperi

Hello. I'm late to this thread too! I'm not currently job hunting. In fact, I'm lucky in that I don't seem to struggle to get work because I work hard, really hard, but I feel like I can't manage full-time hours and I think this is going to limit my opportunities going forward. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Juniperi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #73
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Junipri I think it depends what work and where. E.g retail in London may be far easier than banking in the countryside so to speak. That said if you are flexible and a hard worker than I bet you stand a chance.

I have occurred Health on Thursday for new job. It's a total formality but I'm still slightly scared

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #74
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

You've been working for years Cam you'll be okay

I have an interview for the sunday job soon. I know it's only one day a week but it'll be my first paid job ever. I'm scared.

I've only had one interview for a paid job before and I didn't get it so I'm nervous.

My boss says it's very likely I'll get the job but I'm still unsure.

It's for work in a charity shop which I've been volunteering at 3 days a week for months. I know how to do everything except refunds and I only don't know how to do that because I don't know the code. But once I do I'll be able to do everything my manager does.

The role is for a supervisor.

Any advice?

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #75
larisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
Best of luck Fire Fly. I hope you get good news on one of them. If you were offered both, which one would you rather?

Sophie.x
Yes, i wish you the very best of luck as well :)

larisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #76
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
You've been working for years Cam you'll be okay

I have an interview for the sunday job soon. I know it's only one day a week but it'll be my first paid job ever. I'm scared.

I've only had one interview for a paid job before and I didn't get it so I'm nervous.

My boss says it's very likely I'll get the job but I'm still unsure.

It's for work in a charity shop which I've been volunteering at 3 days a week for months. I know how to do everything except refunds and I only don't know how to do that because I don't know the code. But once I do I'll be able to do everything my manager does.

The role is for a supervisor.

Any advice?
Do you already work with the people who are going to be interviewing you? If so it sounds like they know you and what you are capable of and that you'll be a fine employee.

Just take a deep breath before you go in and answer their questions honestly. Interviews can be scary the first few you do but you'll be just fine.

It's always funny what jobs you don't get...it's like there's not much rhyme and reason to it. Don't let any past rejection get you down because it probably had nothing to do with you and more to do with whomever interviewed you. You'll do great!

I'm still waiting on paperwork to come for my upcoming job. I think I'll be super nervous until it arrives, like I haven't officially landed the job until it does. If it doesn't come in the mail today I'm going to let the woman who offered me the job know and hopefully she can contact the HR department to see if they need to send it out again.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #77
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Hope the interview goes well Jodie.

Cam I'm sure OH will be fine, they will just want to make sure they can make adjustments if you need them :)

PoppyLove HR are always slow it seems! I hope you get the documents soon.

Everything is set for me to start my new job in January. I went in to the department this week to see what it's like and to meet the other person who is starting the same job as me (though she's already worked there for 4 years in a different role). It was nice going in and alleviated some of my anxiety. My line manager and training manager are both lovely people and we had a bit of a laugh. The thing that's really worrying me right now is that my induction is a 9 hour day! Most of it will be talks in the lecture theatre. I know it will be draining and I'm really apprehensive about managing it all.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #78
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Sherlock, thank you! I let them know I hadn't gotten the papers yet and they are just having me come in on Thursday to sign in person.

I'm sure the new job will be exciting! The first few days are always the worst, I think. Last week, I had my exit interview from my student job with my supervisor. I sat in her office and remembered two years ago when I sat there on my very first day of work, going through the motions of orientation and wishing I could just go home already. During the exit interview, I was broken hearted at having to leave. So, it will feel long but hopefully after those first few days you find that you love the job as much as I loved mine!

I'm currently in the (very stressful) process of apartment hunting. I have to balance between falling in love with places that book before I can see them and figuring out what I can afford. Thankfully I'm living at home right now and I live near enough to the town that I can move out whenever really, so I'm not being rushed. It's a college town so by summer there will be a lot of places for rent; I just have to be patient enough to wait for the right place!

Old 17-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #79
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I will start my new job on the same day you Sarah! Nhs induction sucks

Old 17-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #80
Serendipity.
fabulous.

How exciting! I hope it goes well for everyone with new jobs!

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)