RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #81
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Theres a petition going around on the Government website demanding another referendum based on the fact that only 72% voted.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #82
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

^don't think I agree with that; the other 28% had their chance to vote and didn't- if they now decide they want to vote then tough!!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #83
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

people are panicing because they're realising Britain isn't about to close its borders.

Old 25-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #84
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Although, and I never thought I'd say this - the best outcome for Scotland would now be to negotiate entry as an independent country. That won't happen, though.

Old 25-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #85
Petrichor
No Sylvia Plath

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
^don't think I agree with that; the other 28% had their chance to vote and didn't- if they now decide they want to vote then tough!!
This. Exactly this. If you cared strongly one way or the other you had your chance to vote and you didnt.

And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare,
As any she belied with false compare.

There she was. Gone.

Petrichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #86
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
So maybe this is dumb to ask-

I know here in the US, even if the majority votes on something, congress and or the president can still basically shut it down by vetoing it, or whatever the term is.

Is there anything like this that exists in the UK that could potentially be of use?
It can be, but it isn't.
In theory the government could say no - there's no legal mandate to do it, but it'd be rather bad form. There are other occassions when they've gone against the wishes of the people even when there wasn't a referendum, and it led to a lot of backlash. The Queen can also veto certain things / dissolve parliament.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #87
Rageaholic
Free Speech Absolutist

I am currently:

Besides Auror, politicians not listening to their constituents is part of the reason behind the rise of Trump here in the USA. Though with Cameron out, something like that would likely end in Farage being PM. Which would be great for UK and US relations when Trump inevitably does become president.

Rageaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #88
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I think 72% was considered a pretty high participation?
Which makes me sad tbh

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 02:33 AM   #89
Isoverity

I am currently:

Germany is warning 5 more countries could leave EU (France, the Netherlands, Austria, Finland and Hungary). Denmark, Italy
and Sweden are also facing demands for referendums. The truth is the EU is becoming a dumpster fire, and UK was prudent to get out early.

You have bankrupt countries who won't rein in spending, and want to live off other countries while also depriving them of doing whats best for themselves economically (like depriving UK of trade agreements with India and Australia - a natural fit).

EU nations aren't paying their NATO dues but they want to beat up on Russia anyway while also calling for a new EU military. The border situation is of course just suicidal. Nevermind the decapitated police, hijacked trucks/trains, fiasco in Calais, shootings in Paris etc. there is no way Europe can afford to put millions of people on benefits. etc. (that's the main reason many come to EU nations and not because they love UK, EU etc and want to "belong".).

EU should have stayed a focused economic alliance and not let the multinationals and politicians bend the whole thing to favor cronies who dont care much about the nation's well being. The EU just isn't sustainable. Now the big goal is to warm up to Turkey who just changed their constitution to get rid of Ataturk legacy. Talk about a dead end..

END OF THE EU? Germany warns FIVE more countries could leave Europe after Brexit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-Europe-Brexit

Last edited by Isoverity : 25-06-2016 at 04:50 AM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #90
Rageaholic
Free Speech Absolutist

I am currently:

Gonna celebrate your independence with some Newcastle Browns tonight, Sending love from across the pond.

Old 25-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #91
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
So maybe this is dumb to ask-

I know here in the US, even if the majority votes on something, congress and or the president can still basically shut it down by vetoing it, or whatever the term is.

Is there anything like this that exists in the UK that could potentially be of use?

I just read this bit:

"I have seen it suggested — or, perhaps, hoped — that the powers-that-be will simply “ignore” the vote to leave. This is not going to happen. In a strictly legal sense, Parliament is sovereign and can do as it wishes. In consequence, this referendum was technically not binding. Culturally, though, any indication that the government was trying to defy the voters would trigger a catastrophic constitutional crisis. Speaking in front of Downing Street this morning, David Cameron set the tone: “The British people,” he confirmed, “have voted to leave the EU and their will must be respected.” “The will of the British people,” Cameron added, “is an instruction that must be delivered.” Sadly for him, the task of making that delivery will fall to his successor...

It is certainly the case that the center-right opted overwhelmingly for exit. But it is notable that the election was won not on the playing fields of Eton or in the leafy gardens of England’s Home Counties, but in the industrial Northeast and the blue-collar Midlands. Indeed, as the Mirror and others have observed, Leave’s margin was provided not by a surfeit of conservatives, but by working-class social democrats who traditionally vote Labour but whose concerns are increasingly out of sync with the rest of their party. (This, incidentally, is another reason that Parliament could not get away with ignoring the result of the referendum: Because UKIP is nipping at Labour’s heels throughout the country — and because there is strong anti-EU sentiment among at least a third of Labour voters — the Labour party’s leadership knows that to sign onto any coup would be to sign its own electoral death warrant.)

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...vote-beginning

Old 25-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #92
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Witch View Post
Although, and I never thought I'd say this - the best outcome for Scotland would now be to negotiate entry as an independent country. That won't happen, though.
It will happen, it was in SNP's mandate that we will remain part of the UK under the condition of EU membership.
If Sturgeon has brains, she will get it in motion soon-ish because London will be losing many jobs to Frankfurt, a Scotland in the EU could be more enticing for them and would significantly add to our economy.

Only problem is, the rest of the EU countries won't make it easy and we will have to accept the Euro to join

non volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #93
Rageaholic
Free Speech Absolutist

I am currently:

Go back into the EU? Are you out of your mind, That's like running back into a building that just got lit on fire. the UK isn't going to be the only country to leave the EU at this rate. France, Denmark, and Hungary are already calling for similar referendums. Even Sweden and Greece are speaking of having votes to leave. Not all of these will pass obviously, but the EU is finished, It's not going to be dissolved tomorrow or anything, but unless you want to be one of those nations sitting there with Germany helping hold up the big bag of garbage that is the remnants of the EU, then by all means.

Old 25-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #94
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, it's very hypocritical for people who come from countries with a multitude of their own problems to tell other countries how they should be run and what they should do.

Maybe work on your own country first before policing another.

non volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #95
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

How easy will it be for Scotland to have another referendum? Northern Ireland aren't allowed one about reunification but I presume it will be easier for Scotland as you guys aren't the equivalent of naughty schoolchildren who aren't allowed to do fun stuff because you have a history of making A Big Fuss about this kind of thing...

Old 25-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #96
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Yeah, I'm torn on reunification as I do support it I think, but it opens such a huge can of worms. The republicans are now almost entirely peaceful about NI being part of the U.K. and if there was reunification there's no guarantee that the unionist would be as peaceful straight away. That's not really a fair way to view it, but a safer one.

Who gets to decide if Scotland can have a referendum? Does the UK parliament have to agree with it, or can the SNP just call one?

Old 25-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #97
Isoverity

I am currently:

Scotland has economic issues since the collapse of oil prices (Scotland was largest oil producer in EU). At the time of first referendum, the price of oil was about double what it is now. It was thought Scotland was on the verge of an "oil boom" but now Scotland is posting its worst loses since the 1960s. Since more countries will leave EU before Scotland has a vote, and since oil production is collapsing I don't know if independence for Scotland will look as appealing as it did in the recent past

"David Mundell, the Scottish Secretary, admitted the figures were 'particularly concerning' and insisted the UK Government was doing 'everything it can' to support the struggling industry.

He argued that the UK’s 'broad shoulders, means the Government can help support the industry and the thousands of workers and families who depend on it “at this very difficult time.”

Tens of thousands of jobs have been lost in the North Sea since the oil price collapsed, with Shell announcing this week that a further 475 posts are to go in the North East.

The loss posted by the industry contrasts with the promises of Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond during the independence referendum that Scotland was on the verge of a second oil boom."

North Sea oil posts its first annual loss for the taxpayer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-the-taxpayer/

Old 25-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #98
Sock

I am currently:

brexit happened on the same day as voldermorts return ... coincidence, i think not

You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining
'Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life'
“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”

Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #99
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Jenna, the SNP have to ask for permission from the UK government for another independence referendum but it would be stupid for the government to refuse. The general consensus here (not sure about everywhere else) is we want out, almost everyone I know (including members of my own family) who were staunch no voters last time want out of the UK.

Last edited by The Worst Witch : 25-06-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 25-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #100
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I was against Scottish independence the first time. Now I think they should get out.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)