Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 18-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:
The BIG Welcome to RYL thread!

Hello and welcome to RYL!

We hope that, whatever reason you have for being here, you get some support and assistance that you need. RYL can be a bit big and overwhelming at first, so we hope this thread can help you find what you want.

Please read through this entire thread before you start posting. It contains information that will help to reduce the learning curve of being a new member.

This thread has some basic information about what you need to know for RYL as a whole, but please remember to check the stickies in each board for individual board rules.

This thread contains:
- What to post/what not to post in this forum
- First post suggestions
- How to stay safe online

Remember that if there's anything you can't find, have a look in The Guide to RYL.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 12-04-2023 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Removing chat!
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 18-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

What to post and what not to post in the Introduction Forum.

What to post.
  • Your introduction, which is normally a little bit of information about yourself, but never post personal information such as your address or phone number.
  • You can also reply to other people's introductions, hug their threads, and welcome them to RYL.
What not to post.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 12-04-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: updating
Old 18-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

First post suggestions.

A good way to start out posting is to make an introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself. Don't be nervous - lots of new people join RYL every day, and we love getting to know the new members. Unsure about what to say? No problem, we can help!

Are you stuck on what to post on for your first post? Do you want your first thread here to be different and individual but aren't sure how? Well have no fear - in this thread you can find some ideas on how to make your first post stand out from the others.
  • Include the basics such as your name/nickname, where you're from, how old you are, etc.
  • Why are you joining RYL?
  • Do you have any cool hobbies or interests? How do you like to spend your free time?
  • You could also include what some of your favourite movies, music, books, TV shows, etc. are.
  • Is there anything about you that makes you stand out in a crowd? A rare talent? An odd interest? A funny habit?
Here's an example of a post so you can get some ideas:

Quote:
Hi, my name is Benjamin, but I go by Ben.

I'm from California, and I'm 16 years old. I found RYL while searching for self-harm help, and I also suffer from Bipolar Disorder. When I'm not on the computer (which I am a lot :P) I like to skateboard and play with my younger brother. I collect bottle caps and love reading mystery books. My all-time favourite movie is Mrs. Doubtfire, my favourite music is basically any punk rock, and I love any sort of mystery book. I love watching AFV (America's Funniest Home Videos) and cop shows.

A few random facts about me: I'm colour-blind, I have 5 dogs, and I can burp the entire alphabet frontwards and backwards, which I am quite proud of, though my parents aren't so much :P
By The Community Team

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 12-04-2023 at 01:41 PM. Reason: -link
Old 18-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Staying Safe Online

This is just a quick post about safety on the internet. Though these forums are a really great place to be connected, talk about what's going on for you, and get the support that you need, you've also got to be careful about what information you provide on the internet.

The majority of these forums are public forums, and therefore you have to consider the personal information you are posting can be viewed by everyone on the internet.

As such, it's a great idea not to share personal details on either the forums / chat / private messages. This includes avoid sharing your;
  • E-mail addresses, including msn addresses.
  • Your full name, phone number, details about your specific location.
  • What school/college you attend.
  • Images of yourself [try not to include images of others, unless you have their permission]
  • Any other information that could be used by people at your detriment.
The moderators here at RYL have a lot of systems [and a strange amount of time] to invest into keeping our members safe, and that is what we are working towards with this post.

While we can make sure banned members remained banned, and troublesome members are kept away, there is only so much we can do to personally protect you. That's why we ask you think before you post, especially on the public forums.

Of course, we're not saying you shouldn't make friends here, we like friends :) but we are saying you should be wary of the internet and that you don't always 'know' who people are. There are by far more genuine people and friends here than there are people you need to avoid, but it is worth making sure you can keep yourself safe.

Also remember, that if someone has added you onto msn and is behaving in a manner you don't like, or that makes you feel uncomfortable, by being rude or inappropriate, block them. If the matter is serious you can contact the moderators here, and if you're doing so it's great to have copies of the log. [Remember, though, that we do not control of everything. However you can report such instances to an online agency, and we can help out with that.]

For more information please have a look at:
  • Connect Safely - guidance on safety, privacy and security on the internet
  • Thinkuknow - specific advice for 11-18 year olds regarding internet safety

Written by Aimee in Wonderland, on behalf of the moderating team.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 12-04-2023 at 01:41 PM. Reason: updating
Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)