RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #281
Salazar
An individual bursting out of a bubble

I am currently:

Thanks for your words Lucy, I'll reply when I get some time!

I'm quitting my part time job at a supermarket tomorrow. Fed up with the total incompetence and generally being treated abysmally all the time. Not sure how to write a resignation letter but I'll just stick to something like "I wish to inform you of my resignation from xxxxxx. Please accept this as the week's notice as set out in my contract."

It goes to show, that no matter how bad things get for me, there is still always one thing which brings me happiness. I must cling to this for it is the making of me, the beginning of my resurgance and the fightback epitomised. I will defeat my demons.

An ode to joy
A road to love
A note to keep your head above
The rising tide's not yet a flood on this shore

Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #282
Moonlight Princess
Never forgetting to be awesome

I am currently:

Congratulations on your grades Lucy!

Hope everyone's doing well :)

You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you wish to make.

Moonlight Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #283
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Kiran <3

I officially intermit from my course next week.
Feeling like a failure as I couldn't even last a month without my mentals playing up.
Hopefully next year will be different.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #284
Salazar
An individual bursting out of a bubble

I am currently:

So I would appreciate some advice please.

One of my lecturers (the one who made me cry) is basically very right-wing - that's acceptable, even if I don't like it - but the problem is, he approved a headline in the uni paper which basically detailed a girl talking about the tools she used to self-harm with. It was in bold of course as it was a headline.

I approached him about this, explained the issues I had with it, and he basically said he didn't agree with me but that that was OK, and he went on to use Robin Williams' death as an example of unnecessary/unfair criticism of the press for the way they reported it. He said he saw absolutely no issue with the reporting of it and that it was in line with the editors' code of practice etc and it was "spot on" - even going so far as to explain how it was spot on and how it's OK because everyone knows the methods used already, so reporting them again makes no difference. He's a journalist at the Express btw.

So this made me very uneasy, then on his twitter feed I see he had retweeted stuff about how people shouldn't complain about the reporting of the suicide of Robin Williams.

The headline was, IMO, irresponsible. More concerning was the way he dismissed my concerns, it just showed an ignorance of the potential impact the headline could have had.

My issue is that this guy is one of my lecturers and if he holds these sorts of views, how can I ever explain that I have mental health issues of my own to him, and also, what if there is another article like that one? The article was OK, it was the headline which disturbed me, and then his views.

I want to talk to my personal tutor about it tomorrow but she's kind of scary and knows him so I don't really know what to do.

Last edited by Salazar : 26-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.

It goes to show, that no matter how bad things get for me, there is still always one thing which brings me happiness. I must cling to this for it is the making of me, the beginning of my resurgance and the fightback epitomised. I will defeat my demons.

An ode to joy
A road to love
A note to keep your head above
The rising tide's not yet a flood on this shore

Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #285
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I have chapter of my text book I need to read and some notes I need to write but I feel like I'm getting the flu and it's hard to be motivated with such physical exhaustion.
It's getting me down because I have the time to do the work but not the energy :(

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #286
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Plowing through my work today. Only done one chapter and it has taken me hours because I'm finding it hard to understand.

How is Everyone else getting on?

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 28-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #287
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I'm having a crappy couple of days and not really getting anywhere with work and I have so much to do. The last hour or so I've started to feel quite defeated which I'm struggling to pull myself out of.

Well done on managing one chapter, is there some work that you understand better that you could do for a bit to give the old brain cells a wee break?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #288
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm having an rly brake for my brain :)

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 31-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #289
Synthetisk
salt the earth

I am currently:

My lecturer said I didn't have to do a presentation today but asked my co-presenter to do her part. Understandably, she wasn't all that happy but I really couldn't help it. The presentation wasn't for an assessment or grade either.

However what she said after reduced me to tears. She told me I'm lazy, always have some new disability or excuse, and probably don't even need my crutches.

i'd only come here seeking peace
i'd only come here seeking me
it seems i came to leave

Synthetisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #290
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetisk View Post
My lecturer said I didn't have to do a presentation today but asked my co-presenter to do her part. Understandably, she wasn't all that happy but I really couldn't help it. The presentation wasn't for an assessment or grade either.

However what she said after reduced me to tears. She told me I'm lazy, always have some new disability or excuse, and probably don't even need my crutches.
This sounds really tough. It sound like she knows nothing about what s it is like to be chronically ill.
Try not to worry too much you asked not to do the presentation because that was what was best for your wellbeing. If she doesn't like that then it is her problem.

I have a tutorial in central london today but the uni site is down so I don't know where to get directions to where I'm going.
I wish I had checked last night but I went to bed early so I could be fresh for today and now I'm unsure where Im going.
I know it's some where in the LSE campus but that's all I know.
How annoying.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #291
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Having a bit of stress.
I have an assignment for uni and I'm not sure how the learning out comes are linked with the questions.

edit: just done an hour of work and feeling better about it. Thank god.
Giving myself a brake now.

Last edited by Ballerina123 : 03-11-2014 at 02:07 PM.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #292
chinahorse

I am currently:

anyone know anything about transferring credits to the OU? Or if you can defer for more than a year with a brick uni? Im 2 modules off completion of my degree if that makes any difference.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #293
[Luna]

Kate, I never read the learning outcomes. They just seem to confuse things. The student notes they include in the assessment guide are usually helpful enough. I hope you manage to get the rest of your assignment done.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #294
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinahorse View Post
anyone know anything about transferring credits to the OU? Or if you can defer for more than a year with a brick uni? Im 2 modules off completion of my degree if that makes any difference.
Yea I was gonna do it but I left it too late. But you just call up the open uni and they will transfer them once you have sent them a transcript.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #295
Serendipity.
fabulous.

At my uni you could defer for more than a year. It may be different at yours though and I don't know anything about OU. Worth speaking to someone at your uni maybe?

I am applying to go back to uni! I've just started working on my UCAS application. I'm actually super excited now I've decided to definitely go ahead with it.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #296
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Feeling sad because although I passed my assignment I didnt do as well I felt.
I felt really comfortable about the assignment yet got loads wrong.
I'm unsure how to improve my mark because I though I had don't everything that was asked and the notes on the assignment don't say the right answers so that doesn't help my whole "why did I understand?"
It just says "you have not answered the whole question" but I don't know what part I didn't answer so that feed back is not helpful.

Fell a bit upset about it actually because now I'm just more confused.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 20-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #297
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Open university I'd hard.
Harder than normal uni because you have to keep on top of your work and learn everything yourself.
It's really getting to me and I'm starting to get lazy with it.
Maybe I'm not cut out for this.

I want a degree so bad because I want to work in research but doing it distance learning is so hard.

I must keep going through because I can't afford a real uni.

Wish I was doing less credits though. Feeling overwhelmed.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 21-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #298
The Queen of Peace
Always does her best to please.

I am currently:

Kate, I'm sorry you're finding uni so hard at the moment. I'm one of the most motivated people in the world when I comes to academia but the OU terrifies me, I think you made a brave decision to use them! Money wise, are you not eligible for student finance? Repayments are based on your income after you leave. I'm not entirely sure how the OU works, but is there anyone who can support you at all? Are there ways of meeting people maybe online on your course who you can form a study group with?

I have applied to university again this year after freaking out and quitting uni in late September/early November and I've applied for maths at elite universities in London but they all require the further maths A2 which I don't have the time to do now with a full time job. I've asked to switch my applications to physics so I don't have to do that but I have no idea about how the works. Anyone got any experience of switching course during the applications process? I'm really worried I'll have to defer another year. But I really want to go to UCL:(

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Don't ever frown because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.

The Queen of Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #299
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Sorry im not sure how you change application half way through.
You may need to call ucas.

I have the most boring assignment to complete right now.
It's about rocks and im just not interested in rocks buts it's part of the course so I have to do it.
I just need to get on with the reading and answer the questions.
I don't think I'll get a good mark for this because I'm really unsure what they are looking for. Just making it up as I go along.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 24-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #300
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I have a test on Friday... I'm anxious about it as I'm struggling with remembering the information. Any tips?

I have condensed it all down into about 4 pages which I need to learn, so it's doable, I just need to find a way to make it sink in... and quickly.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)