RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
-Shae-Lynn*
Laugh often. Dream big. Reach for the stars!!

High number of admissions and BPD

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of reading lately online of people's stories and in articles.

There seems to be this pattern where the authors have all had 2-3 admissions. Then the clouds open and everything gets better.

This is not my story. I've been admitted enough that the number of times shouldn't matter anymore.

Except it does.

So what I'm wondering is: is having a high number of admissions a "trait" of Borderline?

Maybe not.

Thanks

It's the children the world almost breaks that grow up to save it.
-Frank Warren

-Shae-Lynn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I think it can be. People with BPD tend to get into cycles of being in crisis and using dangerous methods of coping (like self harming, drugs etc) that make it risky for them to remain in the community. And then it turns into being in and out of hospital. I know not everyone with BPD is the same, but some definitely do follow this pattern. When I was at my most ill I was constantly in and out of hospital, and really hospital doesn't help people with BPD very much.

Have you had DBT before? On my second go of DBT things started to fall into place and it helped me go from a full diagnosis of BPD to just traits.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I have had multiple admissions over the past seven years. At the time of the majority of my admissions were when I held the BPD diagnosis. After I was assessed further I was re-diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. With this disorder I have had one major admission, contact with HTT and almost had another section placed on me.

I think when you hold a BPD diagnosis they are more likely to admit you if things stem into crisis. BPD can cause people to do very dangerous things so I think if the risk is high they are likely to push for an admission when someone without BPD might not be admitted.

I found that with Schizoaffective Disorder they are more likely to offer me longer more planned admissions rather than short crisis admissions. I think with BPD because the feelings come on so strong they don't last for very long, so admissions tend to be swiftly offered and over quickly.

If you've needed the admissions then you have needed the admissions. It's nothing to be ashamed about. I hope that when you are admitted you work with the staff and try to make positives changes.

Having a lot of admissions can be difficult to deal with and can cause you to feel guilty. I feel the same. But I look back and know I used most of my time in hospital positively to get myself better. That makes me feel less guilty.

If you need to go to hospital again then be strong and fight hard so you can get to a stage where you have learned the necessary skills to cope with crisis's (that would normally end up with you being admitted) in the community.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I think there's plenty of people out there who have a BPD diagnosis who have never been in hospital at all. So in that sense it wouldn't be "typical" for the illness.

I think it may contribute though as some people are a danger to themselves because of BPD and it is hard to reach stability and the less stable you are the more likely you will need an admission to stay safe.

My personal opinion is that most likely numerous admissions to hospital are a sign that people do not get the amount and kind of support that they need in the community.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
[Luna]

Quote:
Originally Posted by La araña discoteca View Post

My personal opinion is that most likely numerous admissions to hospital are a sign that people do not get the amount and kind of support that they need in the community.
Not much to add other than I completely agree with this.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I read somewhere that a very high percentage of people who are admitted to a psych ward have a PD in some form.

However the majority of people with bpd have never actually been admitted.

The thing is that everyone's illness is personal inspired of diagnosis. There will be some mental difficulties that will require more admissions and some that won't.
I don't think is primarily a "bpd" thing. I know people with a variety of mh issues who have had many admissions.
I think that diagnosis may even not be relevant.

Admission is based on risk not on diagnosis usually.
So a person with risky behaviour could be admitted many times regardless of their diagnosis
Whereas someone with a bpd diagnosis could be never admitted if they never have risky behaviour

Admission is about managing risk not about diagnosis

Of could length of admission or type or support given during the admission may be lead by diagnosis but the reason behind admission it's self (ie risk) is not what leads to many admissions.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thought this was interesting!

Quote:
The NICE guideline [1] on borderline personality disorder discusses the prevalence in section 2.3.1. Three studies were identified which calculated a community prevalence of 0.7% in a random sample of 626 British householders, 0.5% in a random sample of 742 American householders and 0.7% in a Norwegian survey of 2,053 community residents. In primary care, the prevalence of borderline personality disorder ranged from 4 to 6% of primary attenders. In mental healthcare settings, the prevalence of all personality disorder subtypes was high, with many studies reporting a figure in excess of 50% of the sampled population. Borderline personality disorder is generally the most prevalent category of personality disorder in non-forensic mental healthcare settings.

A Dynamed summary [2] on borderline personality disorder quoted the following regarding prevalence:

1%-2% population, overall 6%-9% population has a personality disorder
higher prevalence in primary care than in general population; in survey of 218 patients from urban primary care practice, lifetime prevalence of borderline personality disorder was 6.4%
females twice as likely as males (possibly bias of diagnosis)
Three Cochrane reviews [3-5] which focused on interventions for borderline personality disorder discussed prevalence in their introductory sections. They estimated that 1.5-2% of the general population, 10% of psychiatric outpatients and 20% of psychiatric inpatients meet the diagnostic criteria for BPD and it is diagnosed more frequently in women than men.
http://www.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/cle...-disorder.aspx

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)