RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
*..life in pain..*
Irene

I am currently:
What are the treatments for people with BPD?

Ive been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and i have a psych to whom i talk about my everyday life, a psych for meds and art group therapy. But the problem is that they dont seem to help much since im still suicidal after 2 years in this therapy. Anything else i can try? Any ideas?

My RYL family:
I-used-to-be-positive is my big sister razorxkissedxwrists is my mommy alyssa.star is my sister phoenixflames_forever is my cousin concreteangel, helpmydeath, xxbeckyxx and queer fringe are my little sisters bob--says--hi is my twin

pm me anytime

*..life in pain..* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
startingagain

I see a clinical psychologist and he uses a variety of styles. The main one is based on CAT.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Sheltie90

I am currently:

I have started dbt treatment, it seems quite good at the moment only about 5/6 weeks into it x x

Sheltie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

I too am starting on dbt as that is the recommended treatment over here in the NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) Guidelines so if possible it is provided. I've only had pre-treatment so far so can't really tell you much about it or how useful it is or isn't.

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I was diagnosed with BPD just over a year ago and have been referred to four year course of group therapy, one year of that being spent as part of a therapeutic community. I think DBT and CBT amongst other things are used in the group therapy. Although that's just what's been offered to me in my area of the UK, I think the length of the courses and what is involved varies quite a bit.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

I have tried a 1 day a week Therapeutic Community which was quite frankly useless and not containing enough. It didn't offer any new skills or coping mechanisms. 8 months wasted.

I have also been offered psychodynamic psychotherapy but I couldn't buy into the bullshit they spout and how long a commitment with again no new ways to cope, just talking.

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

Old 20-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Sorry to keep posting but there is also a therapy called Mentalisation Behavioural Therapy that I know is available in some areas.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
whirlpools

Most of my therapy has been analytic-based, in individual and group (therapeutic community) work. It's made a huge difference to me, alongside medication, which I couldn't have coped without. I also did three years of psychology but didn't find that especially helpful following working with therapists. I don't know why, I just kind of 'click' with that kind of treatment. Never tried anything skills-based, like DBT/CBT.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Stellata

I have sub-threshold Borderline, basically a trauma based attachment disorder. Like Laura, I respond best to analytic based psychotherapy, but solely individual rather than group [though my groups have been limited to psychotherapy training therapy groups, which are a breed of their own!]. I also need medication, for depression, it takes the 'edge' off so I can actually work in psychotherapy.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

There are a few treatments available to treat or rather cope with BPD. I was told in my group on Tuesday that out of all the PD's, BPD is one of the ones that has more successful treatment options for it, so there is hope for people who suffer with BPD. (not to say other PD's don't have hope, but this is what I was just told.)

I'm currently in a group 20 week long therapy called STEPPS(CBT based) and that's just one treatment available.

Medications can be used to help treat symptoms too, but they prefer to use therapy alongside it or first.

Talk to a professional about treatments that are available in your area for you if you want to try something else that could help, it's not hopeless.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)