RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:
My review of Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks... I need to say this.

So, we had the new years day special and all in all, it was a quite good story. I'm not gonna post spoilers as the story is currently on iplayer and I know not everyone has seen it and quite frankly, I don't wanna be that person.

However, I do have something I need to say about it. This has been on my mind for a while and it's time to get it off (Note to self, choose words carefully. Getting things off on the internet is never a good idea lol)

I have been a who fan since I was 5 years old... thats 32 years. I've always said, I don't care who plays the doctor, who the companions are, anything like that. As long as the effects are good and the writing is good, then thats all that matters. I hope and pray that this is chibnalls last season as showrunner because the writing last night was... well... not good.

I never thought I'd say this, but he is ruining the series. Jodie as the doctor is (and I know this is an unpopular opinion, I've been on twitter for a long time) a great doctor. Yaz is finally starting to come into her own and have a proper moment of character development. But Chibnall has really taken Who and just... Look, I don't wanna be one of those fans. I really don't. I've been there when there was no Who on tv. I remember the days when the virgin and bbc books (Hell, even Target) were all there was. When fan films were the closest you could get to new who stories on screen.

But now, I'm worried that with Chibnall in charge (A fan from the old days who holds a grudge over how original who was run), the BBC might cut it's losses and just decide that enough is enough. I actually did quite enjoy this story a lot, it's a Dalek story after all and that always gets my attention. But I'm seriously at that point now where (and I never thought I'd say this) I may have to call it a day. I'll watch series 13 (season 39 if you are adding the original and new together) but after that... I need to make a decision about if I should carry on. As I said, I have absolutley no issue with Jodie as the doctor... I do have an issue with Chris Chibnall as the showrunner. The lesson here is simple: Do not have a fan in charge of the show. Have a bloody good writer in charge. This is something that Chris Chibnall is not. I'm sorry I had to say this.

‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

I'm sure he's not offended by your opinions.

The new episodes and writers have all been very different. I like some series more than others, I like some Doctors more than others, I like some episodes more than others. TV shows come to an end, or perhaps regenerate (see what I did there), so maybe just write this off as not your favourite, move on and carry on watching previous favourites.

I don't want to be that person who says don't take it so seriously because we all have things we love, but y'know, maybe don't take it so seriously.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 AM   #3
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
I'm sure he's not offended by your opinions.

The new episodes and writers have all been very different. I like some series more than others, I like some Doctors more than others, I like some episodes more than others. TV shows come to an end, or perhaps regenerate (see what I did there), so maybe just write this off as not your favourite, move on and carry on watching previous favourites.

I don't want to be that person who says don't take it so seriously because we all have things we love, but y'know, maybe don't take it so seriously.
I completly get where you are coming from. I really do and I appreciate your thoughts on it. Yeah, I guess you're right. I just get kinda..... I don't know the right words... passionate about it. Like I said, I grew up with the show and get really invested in it and I don't wanna see anything ruin it. As you said, I'll just write it off and move on. actually the best piece of advice I've had all day lol

Old 03-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
nonperson

I am currently:

I also do really understand where you're coming from as well. The good news is that there is an immense backlog of episodes to keep rewatching. =)

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
I also do really understand where you're coming from as well. The good news is that there is an immense backlog of episodes to keep rewatching. =)
yep... 38 seasons spanning 57 years, 1 month, 12 days lol

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)