RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:
Eating Disorder - Palpitations&chest pain.

Basically, since an episode of purging quite hard about a week ago, I've been having chest pain & worse palpitations. Sometimes swallowing is hard too? I've purged since & my intake is restricted.

I'm not drastically underweight, or actually underweight at all... so I know it's nothing serious but it's making things difficult so yeah.

Any ideas? Thanks.

One Hug Given By:
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Siouxsie

I am currently:

Any chest pain needs to be checked out sweetheart. Regardless of how much you weigh, it's serious.
You know where I am if you need to talk.
xxx

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
ColourExplosion

I am currently:

Hey,

Any chest pains, if worrying you, should be checked out. The pain could be your esophagus depending on where it is, and could also be the reason you have difficulty swallowing, but I'd definitely recommend getting it checked out in case it is a heart issue, especially if it's paired along with palpitations.

Just a question, did this come on gradually or suddenly?

Cheryl x

Be yourself..
Everyone else is already taken

Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:

Thanks for the advice guys. It's kind of.. on the left side of my throat/chest? & it came on sort of suddenly & just didn't let up o.O...

Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
ColourExplosion

I am currently:

Only going to a doctor can fully diagnose whats wrong with you, but I would believe that it may be a tear or damage of the esophagus. Either way, I would definitely get chest pain checked out!

Hope you're okay, keep us updated :)

x

Be yourself..
Everyone else is already taken

Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Gone.

Hope that you get this checked out. Take care.

Left.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Get this checked out yus? Can be serious.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Animad

I am going to agree with everyone else, you NEED to get this checked out. With EDs, how ill you are doesn't neccessarily always depend on your weight and with this it doesn't.

Purging is very dangerous at any weight. It does quite a few changes to the electrolytes in your blood, especially if you do it a lot, which can cause your heart to become damaged. As well as that, it changes the pressure a lot in your abdomen and chest at the time and this can also put pressure on the heart especially if you're doing a lot. Restricting as well means that you're probably not taking in enough food for your heart and other organs to get the proper nutrients they will need. They start to eat up your fat for energy at first but then use up all of your fat sources and then eat your muscle. Your heart is a muscle and so can turn on that too though I don't think you'll have that last part happening to your heart as of yet. But, the change in electrolytes in the blood can definately cause palpitations to worsen so this needs to be checked out and really, as it's to do with your heart then I'd suggest going to A&E ASAP even if it's been going on for a week now. At least you need to ring up your doctors tomorrow and try and get an emergency appointment then so you should ring them as soon as they open in the morning.

Swallowing is likely to be hard because all of the lining of your throat will be inflamed. There may also be more damage than that but I think that is the most likely. It will be inflamed due to the acid burning it from your purging as well as the pressures against your throat when purging and the fact that you may have scratched it, either with a nail or some food particles coming up. This will take a long time to improve if you are still purging and also this may not be the correct reason for it as there may be other things going on. In terms of the pain, if you're not vomitting up blood then I don't think there would be a tear in your oesophagus. I think it's likely that all along the lining of that may be inflamed too, possibly also having ulcers on it as it is not protected against acid like your stomach is so is easily damaged by the acid. This does ned to be checked ASAP also to see the cause and help it to improve which may mean going on meds depending on the cause. In the meantime you should be eating small amounts and often but make sure the food is soft so it's not going to irritate your throat or oesophagus as much. You also really have to try to not purge, preferably at all. I know this will be really hard but if you do it will only worsen problems and if there are ulcers in your oesophagus there is a likelyhood of them worsening and it could in fact then lead to it rupturing which you REALLY don't want as you'll be incredibly ill and you'd need major surgery to put it all right and surgery on the oesophagus is not an easy thing to do and can lead to quite a lot of problems after, often needing surgery again.

So yes, you need to get checked out the sooner the better as this may be really damaging. As well as that you have to really try not to purge. I know that is likely to be incredibly hard or seem impossible but try and stay strong, resist the urge and try and resist anything that you know tends to trigger you to purge. Also, feel free to contact the supporters via live help or support@recoveryourlife.com and they can try and give you more support and help you further. As well as that, if there is anyone at home that knows about your purging then it would be good to talk to them about it and see if they can help you further.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)