RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Sara2010
Mischief Managed

I am currently:
How to cope with an insensitive parent (repost)

I posted this on the wrong board, so it's a repost. Sorry bout that..

Okay, so I live with my mother. And I rarely mention my history with self injury, nor do I tell her when I'm struggling with feelings of wanting to relapse. When the topic comes up, my mom just likes to say 'the only reason you did those things was because you were on the wrong anti-depressants'. It's really irritating to me. I have struggled so hard with this. I have been battling my natural urges to self harm for 4 to 5 years. During the time I was at my worst, I had decided to go off my meds (i'm no longer on meds). But I feel like she is trying to trivialize something really big that happened in my life, and is still a part of me to this day. It makes me really angry and this is why I refuse to confide in her about my feelings. She know nothing about any relapses I've had or struggles I cope with. What should I do when she does this? Should I just allow her to think it because it makes her feel better? I could really use some advice

Sara2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 22-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
crazykat
Fight for another day

I would talk to her, be honest with her. Tell her how it makes you feel. It is understandable that it makes you angry but perhaps it is just her way of understanding it. So if you explain your feelings behind what she says it might help her to better understand.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
sherbet lemon

I am currently:

my mum can be quite insensitive too i have a problem with picking my skin but she related this to my self harming cutting. anytime she sees this she always shouts at me etc and other stuff. i suppose they just want us to be ok and stuff. maybe your mum blames the antidepressants but actually thinks that they arent the answer to everything anyway and maybe she thinks she could have been a cause.

im not sure really and im sorry that this is ongoing problem for you. do you ever try and sit down with her and talk rationally with her and speak to her about how you feel. i no that it must be hard for you to consider that but you are already hurting so much as a result of all of this happening so maybe it would be a gd idea to consider it

sherbet lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
shadowfire

I am currently:

ive been there, oh hell i still am. some people are like that, its either something thats caused them to be like this or its just the way they are. You could try talking to her one on one, and make sure she really knows how much shes hurting you by not caring. But if she continues to ignore what your feeling i suggest you find someone who will always be there for you and who you can talk to. Sometimes family isnt who you need, sometimes its just someone else. if you need anyone to talk to im open
im sorry if this isnt the advice you need, but id rather be honest.

shadowfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)