RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Shatterproof
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional :)

I am currently:
Realisation...my parents aren't proud

The title I guess may be slighlty misleading as I cannot actually say that they're not proud of me, only that they've never told me that they are. Even when I achieve something amazing its never 'well done, I'm so proud of you' its more like 'I knew you'd do well.' Nothing seems to surprise them about me.

What do you think? Am I being slightly pathetic?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks! ^_^

All the world's a stage,
and all men and women merely players.

Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Shatterproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Dicky T

I'm sure they are, they just express it in different ways.

Dicky!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
yoursmiledoesntfoolme
im the nightmare you dreamt as a child

I am currently:

i get exactly where your coming from
my parents often tell me im throwing my life away and when i achieve something (like a foundation degree at age fifteen etc) they just say "well you could have done better"
i always feel im never good enough for them

i still think that deep down they are proud (i hope so) and your parents do sound proud, they arent suprised because they are proud and knew all along that you would achieve whatever yoo wanted to, this is just their way of saying 'well done'

yoursmiledoesntfoolme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

i either get 'i knew you'd do well' or 'what happened?!' when it goes wrong.

im hopeing by this thread that im nto the only one where peopel saying 'i knew you'd do well' is incredibly annoying! its like, 'oh, but that nothign special cos its normal for you' or something. and it means i dont talk to anyoen abotu how worried i am about the exams cos they will sjut say 'you'll be fine'. last time someone said that i got a C when i was predicted an A. hmm.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Life and Lies
..::Kate::..

I am currently:

i know what you're talking about

with my parents, if i get my predicted A*, it's like 'yeah good', if i get an A or B, and i quote, 'what went wrong? why have you failed?'

pointing out thatanything over a C is a pass getm me nowhere, and i really dread results day

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind.
To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse.
To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better.

Life and Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
joyous broken thing

I am currently:

it's hard, i used to get that a lot from people i knew, and i guess i still do to a certain extent (throwing my life/money away in an art degree blah blah blah)
its really difficult, but i think you need to try to have ambitions, to achieve, to be inspired or motivated for yourself.
we all want our parents to be proud (atleast, i think?) but consider it could well be that your parents don't know how to express their pride,or purely that they're unawares they don't give you credit!

Everybody's someone else's freak,
Every cure is someone else's disease

~pm me anytime~

joyous broken thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Animad

Yeah, I can understand how you feel, mine are like that too and I never really thought they were proud of me. At points a few months ago I realised that maybe my dad was more than I thought because he actually worried about and was going back to uni when I was pretty unwell and he realised I was fighting through stuff when I was back at college rather than just accepting stuff as it was. Now, however, I often wonder again whether they actually are because they just expect stuff of me and if I don't meet what they want they it's hard.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

I never get a 'i'm proud of you'.
Just because they don't literally say the word 'proud', doesn't mean they aren't implying it.
For my A level results I didn't specifically get a 'we're so proud of you', but I could tell by their beaming faces that they were. Despite knowing, I like compliments so i'm always like... 'aren't you happy for me', or 'aren't you proud?' I generally get a 'we never doubted you were clever' or 'we always knew you were capable'....

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
idontwantnomorescars

I am currently:

my parents have never told me they're proud of me and it used to hurt but quite frankly i dont care what they think anymore, i dont need their approval as long as i'm happy and proud of what i have acheived then its fine by me.
i'm sure your parents are proud of you they dont express it verbally.

idontwantnomorescars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Dreamer And Believer

By saying things like 'I knew you'd do well' I think they are implicitly saying they're proud by the fact that they believed in you. But I know it's still hard to never hear it explicitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_rain
and it means i dont talk to anyoen abotu how worried i am about the exams cos they will sjut say 'you'll be fine'. last time someone said that i got a C when i was predicted an A. hmm.
I know exactly how you feel.
It's hard when everyone always believes in you so much and tries to tell you it will be ok--when it's not you feel like you've let them down, but for me it's also an "I-told-you-so" feeling. For example, when I applied for a scholarship I was freaking out about the results because I knew I wouldn't get it because I knew there were so many people above me who'd applied. But my friends just kept saying, "Calm down, don't worry, I know you'll get it." That's NOT comforting! And I didn't get it. Which made me feel I'd let down all their expectations.

Dreamer And Believer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)