RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Merc

Quetiapine question and another...

Anyone find after taking quetiapine their heart seems to be racing/pounding? Or having night sweats?
Or that paranoia seem to actually go into overdrive?
Also, any suggestions for 'weight neutral' AP's?

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 13-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
DannieGirl
Dannie

I am currently:

the quetiapine could be causing you to have high blood pressure... it made me have low blood pressure when i stood up when i started it. you should see your doctor about it.

http://fairly-odd-dannie.blogspot.co.uk/

http://fairlyodddannie.wordpress.com

DannieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I dont think it is a low blood pressure, as my CPN measured mine the other day. Mine was definitely not low. Although quetiapine can cause low blood pressure, if you had it, you would feel dizzy/lightheaded when you sit up, which is a completely different symptom to what the OP started.

Anyway, back to the original question. I am slowly weaning myself back onto the quetiapine (stopped taking it and nearly got sectioned for the trouble) and I am finding that it caused my heart to race. The good news is that once my body got used to the dose, it stopped (roughly a week after the dose change). If you find that after a week or so, that it does not stop or becomes a problem, then I would seek medical advice. Rapid (fast) heartbeat is a reported side effect of quetiapine.

I have not experienced night sweats with quetiapine, though and as far as I can find out is not a side effect of quetiapine. However like I said with the fast heartbeat, if it becomes a problem (it may be the case it is a temporary problem and once your body is used to the dose it may stop) then I would seek medical advice.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
beautifulpain

I am currently:

I experianced night sweats on it. But unsure of the heart racing and paranoia, i didnt experiance those

beautifulpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Oh I forgot about the paranoia. Not sure about that because at the moment I am paranoid anyway (the meds have not had time to kick in properly due to the dose I am on), so I am not sure whether the schizophrenia or the meds are causing the paranoia.

Like I said before, if any of the side effects are causing you trouble, please seek medical advice, preferably from the person who prescribed it.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 13-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Tig

I have had the racing heart - I think that is quite a common side effect. I also feel very light headed and low blood pressure.
Perhaps it would be helpful for you to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
x

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
FragileWings

I am currently:

I've recently started taking the medication again, and I've been getting heart palpitations. I had one for 7 hours the other day, it was soo uncomfortable. So basically it's messing with my anxiety more. And yes, I get night sweats some nights. I also get random hot flushes.

I have been on this before a few years back, I don't think I experienced these side effects as bad before. *shrugs*

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." - W. Gibson.

FragileWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Fairy View Post
I have been on this before a few years back, I don't think I experienced these side effects as bad before. *shrugs*
The side effects may change from last time though. This time I find that I am getting akathisia (really bad urge to keep moving basically) which I have never had with quetiapine before, and I have been on quetiapine for years. So that is a new side effect with me, whereas the rapid (fast) heartbeat isnt.

Fortunately my CPN told me to take the procyclidine (which I am prescribed anyway) for it, but still it is annoying, because it means I am tiring myself out before I started. It also makes it hard to do anything which means sitting still for ages (such as watching telly). I am trying not to take the procyclidine for the akathisia until necessary though.

So new side effects arent unusual, but like I said in a previous post, if they are really bad, then seek medical advice. A lot of side effects there may be medication to counteract it.

Old 14-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Merc

Thx for all the replies!
My dose and PRN has been thru some changes lately (doc approved, he said I could try lowering it...it didn't work), so I suppose that is why because when I first started I had none of this.
The night sweats seem random...or maybe it was the mirtazapine he tried me on??? Idk...have quit that one as the headache never, ever went away.
I see him next week so will mention it then.
Thx again.

Old 14-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romperfry View Post
The night sweats seem random...or maybe it was the mirtazapine he tried me on??? Idk...have quit that one as the headache never, ever went away.
I see him next week so will mention it then.
Thx again.
I tried mirtazapine in the past, was horrible for me too (and like you was also on quetiapine). With me, I had really bad nausea, so perhaps for some people quetiapine and mirtazapine arent a good combination.

A note: some antidepressants do cause increased sweating, though apparently mirtazapine is supposed to be the better ones (though it is a side effect of mirtazapine, though not a common one). It may be case that you are getting much warmer during the night than the day (especially if you still have your winter bedding on and/or your central heating) which is making you more prone to night sweats. That means your mirtazapine may be the cause of the night sweats rather than the quetiapine. Regardless of whether you had even light bedding, you may have got them anyway, so as if you say (which is perfectly reasonable) the mirtazapine was the cause, once your body has gotten rid of hopefully it should ease off.

Old 15-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
yarrowforyou

I am currently:

Just started it 2 weeks ago. I'm also going off another medication so with the withdrawal from that and all my disorders being out of control and with my physical health issues I wasn't sure what was what. Thanks for the information everyone :)

yarrowforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Merc

Bugsy, I have found the quet. to be really helpful/effective, just need to get back to the dose he originally had me on, I suppose.
I just get sooo sick of pills after awhile and it seems so high.
I do eat healthy, tho perhaps not enough, I'm not sure...I will *try* eating more little meals, more often, like you suggested. Tahnk you, thumbelina.
I'm able to ignore/recognize the hunger bits when they are simply med related, thankfully.
It isnt much weight I gained, but...I dont like it. ANd it just will not shift.
The heart thing seems to have eased a bit; none last night after I took it.
Insignificant; sorry to hear the mirtaz. was awful for you too.
The paranoia is still an issue which makes sleeping difficult, even tho I feel so knocked out! I end up being edgy/scared and drugged...not a nice feeling.
Last night was scared to turn the lights off and go to bed...it seemed too much dark, too long in the dark...how silly to be afraid of the dark still, at my age!

Old 16-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romperfry View Post
Insignificant; sorry to hear the mirtaz. was awful for you too.
It's ok, fortunately I did not have to suffer the effects too long as I was (at that point) seeing my psych every single week due to a recent hospital discharge. So I stopped taking them myself and my psych agreed with me: and put me on lofepramine (which is prescribed for me now).

I have tried other antidepressants with the quetiapine, and the mirtazapine was the only one that gave me severe nausea.

Old 16-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Merc

Glad it didn't last too long, insig.
That's the next step; finding a new AD as im sick of the side effects of cipralex(escitalopram), plus it seemed to stop working.
Tried so many over the years and it just gets discouraging, plus a pain going thru all the SE's...no idea what one he will suggest and no idea tbh what one i want to try either.
Well and truly sick of pills, but being off doesn't work well either.
I guess everyone has that tho? I'll be fine for a long time, then suddenly loathe having to take them/rely on it.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)