RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
chinahorse

I am currently:
Hair dye

I bleached my blonde hair to platinum about two months ago, then got bored so dyed it little mermaid red about a month ago. The first lot was quite wishy washy so about a week later I went over it again with the same colour. But some of the ends have gone a sort of washed out pale red despite me paying particular attention to them. Is there a reason why? Something to do with the bleaching? Im not overly worried as I need them cut off anyway just wondered.

:bouncing:

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

The ends of the hair tends to be more porous/damaged/dry as it's older hair, therefore more exposed to the sun etc. They'll therefore fade quicker or not take colour as well.

I've had Ariel red hair for several years now, so if you want any maintenance tips just let me know :)

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
chinahorse

I am currently:

Ah right. Its still making everything orange after 3 washes! Do you find its worth using a colour protect shampoo/ conditioner or am I better staying with the argan oil one for overall condition?

Old 25-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Red is the hardest colour to maintain because the colour molecules are small, so when you get your hair wet and the cuticle opens they all rush out. Prepare for an onslaught of hair-related preaching!

- Definitely use a colour safe shampoo. I only use sulphate-free ones, which don't lather as much (lather = colour fading). You can get the L'Oréal EverPure range in Boots; it's sulphate free and pretty good. There's a new sulphate-free brand called Shea Moisture which you can also get in Boots and is very good, but it's a bit pricier! Anything with lemon juice or salt is a no no.

- I add a bit of hair dye to my conditioner/hair mask every time I do wash it to brighten up the ends. I let it sit on my hair for at least 5 minutes before washing it out. Messy but worth it!

- Wash your hair in as cold water as you can stand. Limits the amount the cuticle opens and reduces colour leakage. I wash my hair by sticking my head over the bath so I don't freeze!

- Wash your hair less. I wash my hair once a week which sounds vile but my hair has adjusted after doing it for so long. It means I only need to do a proper full head redye every 2-3 months, which is really good for red! Dry shampoo is my best friend, haha. The more you wash your hair, the faster it will fade.

- I use hair oil (argan oil etc) to keep my hair soft, smooth and shiny. However, if you moisturise your hair too much, this can make the colour fade so try and strike a balance between keeping it soft and keeping it bright.

- I also use a UV spray on my hair as the sun fades the colour so it needs protection, just like your skin. I use one from the L'Oreal Ever Pure range.

Shameless self promotion but I've written a ton of blog-related stuff about this so I shall leave this linky here :)

Old 25-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
chinahorse

I am currently:

OOO thank you for all the advice, I shall check out the link!

My hair is very dry at the ends (NEED to get it cut) so I only really condition and oil the ends, so I can get away with only washing it once every 4-5 days.

I think my problem may be the dye itself being poor quality as its not very 'rich' the only way I can describe it, so shall find other brands to try out when its due again.

Old 25-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Which brand did you use? I use a mix of Crazy Color Fire/Pinkissimo and I think it lasts really well. I use a different fancy dye on the roots though as I have very dark hair naturally!

Old 25-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
chinahorse

I am currently:

Right, nothing fancy and it was rather on impulse so superdrug own that was 2 for £5 (I have to use 3 so any sort of deal is the way to go). Thankfully my natural hair colour is very nondescript and easy to dye over.

Old 25-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Ahh fair enough. The semi permanent brands that are known for bright colours (Directions, Manic Panic, Stargazer, Punky Colours, Crazy Color) all tend to stick around a bit better, and there are tons of reviews online of all the different shades :)

Old 26-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #9
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

^I agree, I've had red hair for years, and I've tried both MP and Directions, and they definitely take longer to fade. [YAY RED HAIR]

Sorry I don't have much to add..

Mali, all of your tips are great. I'll have a look at your blog when i can focus better, seems pretty cool xx

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #10
chinahorse

I am currently:

My main problem with directions is the weeny pots they come in- are manic panic any better?

Old 26-11-2015, 01:46 AM   #11
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I've never tried Directions or MP myself but I always mix dye with conditioner before I apply it to stretch it further, if that helps :)

Old 26-11-2015, 03:28 AM   #12
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

MP is similar, yea(pots and all). I always mix with conditioner too, and it turns out just fine.

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
Sketchy

I am currently:

I've had red and pink hair and found they fade quicker, but it's been interesting reading the advice here. I normally use crazy colour. I recently used purple mp and find it a much thicker consultancy and harder to apply, but my hair is short, so doesn't take too long and it does give a nice rich even colour. I have also read that washing hair in cooler water keeps te colour longer. I use shampoo and conditioner made for keeping colour hair vibrant. I just use asda's own make. It comes in a pink bottle.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)