Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 29-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:
dear all you clever computer people...

I don't know if this is really the right place for this but I have a stupid virus thing on my laptop. It's called Smart Fortress and is like a fake anti-virus thingy-ma-bob. It keeps blocking firefox and insisting that I must buy their anti-virus softwhere. I can only sometimes manage internet explorer and when I use google to look for a solution is redirects me to various sites...like mens health. Little ****.

As I am pretty useless with this technical stuff, so far all I've managed to do is a) work out its bad and b) run safe mode so I can look online for a solution.

All the solutions I can get on to tell me different things and ask me to download various programs to get rid of Smart Fortress. But I'm not sure what is reliable/worthwhile and what isn't.

Anyone able to give me some ideas? Help?

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Do you have anti-virus software?

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

McAfee. from what I've read, it completely over-rides the anti-virus software already installed. But like I said, I don't get computery stuff :S

Old 29-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Muir

I am currently:

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...-fortress-2012

Muir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I am currently:

I don't know if this is the best advice, but have you tried System Restore, or starting it in Safe Mode and sorting it out then? (Although I think wifi gets disabled in Safe Mode)

Sorry if that was crap advice.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-IV-TR BOOK and the BNF, and have a fairly large knowledge of psychopharmacology.

I have a visual processing disorder / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
I am a pharmacology student at UCL.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
forever_lost

I am currently:

I don't really know a lot about computers but my uncle does...that doesn't really help lol. But a few months ago I had this mega virus on my computer and he helped me get rid of it. Once he got the internet working again he had me download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They have a free trial and even though it's used up, I think it's still somehow protecting my computer lol. It caught what my other security software didn't. (The virus was so new) It got rid of all but one stubborn infected file that my uncle had to get creative with. So I guess I'd recommend trying that if you can.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help!
For a price, you could try taking it to the place you bought it, and see if they can fix it. My friend did that once, and she didn't even have to pay because it was still under some warranty that covered it.

Always Stay Strong

*~Sarah~*

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"You're too pretty for your own good.
That's why you destroy everything you touch."
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
SavingGrace
Your Human Tragedy

I am currently:

Microsoft Essentials. Best virus software that I have found for free. =]

From Nymph to Dragonfly, I know my place.

Call me Bee. =) Like it or Lump it.

‘Cause the passion and pain are gonna keep you alive someday

SavingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_lost View Post
I don't really know a lot about computers but my uncle does...that doesn't really help lol. But a few months ago I had this mega virus on my computer and he helped me get rid of it. Once he got the internet working again he had me download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They have a free trial and even though it's used up, I think it's still somehow protecting my computer lol. It caught what my other security software didn't. (The virus was so new) It got rid of all but one stubborn infected file that my uncle had to get creative with. So I guess I'd recommend trying that if you can.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help!
For a price, you could try taking it to the place you bought it, and see if they can fix it. My friend did that once, and she didn't even have to pay because it was still under some warranty that covered it.
I downloaded Malwarebytes things and did some other stuff and thankfully it's gone. Though I've noticed since random pages pop up every once in a while that never happened before. I may have to do some more fiddling and hope I don't break my laptop in the process lol

Thanks for the replies :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)