Live Help


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
DollyPOP
 
DollyPOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Barbie World
I am currently:

because that is not how "gay" works. You can't just pick and choose whether your gay or not otherwise a whole bunch of people who are gay but get marginalised by society get disowned by friends and relatives, or even beaten for being gay would rather be just like everyone else, but it's predispositioned from birth. You can't just choose. THat's one of the most irritating misconceptions abotu being gay, it just is like someone just is straight.

You can't force it either way.

Why not have therapy to try and 'straighten' up?

because it's detrimental to the person. It's reenforcing that it is wrong when it's been proven it's 100% natural. It's reenforcing that that person needs to changing something that can't be helped, it's making something that isn't wrong, wrong. It's detrimental to their confidence and sense of self. People kill themselves over being gay because of problems and issues around it, this will only add to that.

This would be a MASSIVE step backwards in society, like if women were to be put back in the kitchen in terms of the feminist movement.

DollyPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Freedom Fighter
Emeritus
 
Freedom Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
--Evelyn Beatrice Hall

All speech should be protected, not just popular speech. The National Socialist Party of America has just as much of a right to advertise for their candidate in a public place as the Republican, Democrat, or the American Socialist Workers Party. If one group can be silenced, all groups can be silenced.

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.
 
griddlebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London.
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I know, but that idea is a positive spin-off from it.

I still don't really see the problem with the adverts. If a gay person doesn't want to be gay and wants to try some sort of therapy, then why not?
I agree with this!

Sure thats not how gay works, but if someone believes thats what does work and they want to try it for whatever reason then fine.




There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.


griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
The One Who
 
The One Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere
I am currently:

I know that being gay isn't a choice, but there ARE people out there who think they might be gay and don't want to be. Not everyone is so comfortable in their sexuality. I never actually said that they should undergo therapy to "straighten up", but perhaps some sort of therapy to help them work out their own feelings about their own sexuality would be beneficial for that individual. I don't see the problem with that.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
DollyPOP
 
DollyPOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Barbie World
I am currently:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
--Evelyn Beatrice Hall


how come there's a police man getting in trouble for being racist to a black boy during the riots? because it's racism, but if that above statement is true then there's no problem with that?

DollyPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy
 
red_ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I know that being gay isn't a choice, but there ARE people out there who think they might be gay and don't want to be. Not everyone is so comfortable in their sexuality. I never actually said that they should undergo therapy to "straighten up", but perhaps some sort of therapy to help them work out their own feelings about their own sexuality would be beneficial for that individual. I don't see the problem with that.
I don't think that's whats being offered here.

red_ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
The One Who
 
The One Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ry View Post
I don't think that's whats being offered here.
I never said it was. I said that that sort of thing would be a positive off-shoot from this idea. If people do want to have access to therapy or counselling because of their sexuality (and there are people who do) then having free and easy access to it would be nice. At no point have I suggested that it should be this group (who obviously have their own agenda) who facilitates this service, but it should be there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyPOP View Post
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
--Evelyn Beatrice Hall


how come there's a police man getting in trouble for being racist to a black boy during the riots? because it's racism, but if that above statement is true then there's no problem with that?
He's not been found guilty of anything yet.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy
 
red_ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

Okay, if some guy needs a little help finding his beard (or whatever the term is for the lesbian equivalent), then I wouldn't have much problem with that. Live your life the way you want to. Just don't feed anyone lies.

red_ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
pixiedust_11
 
pixiedust_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Middle Earth
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Awakening] View Post
I agree with freedom of speech but what upset me is that the Christian charity clearly used the design of the Stonewall poster intended to tackle homophobia.

It was a tasteless tactic and I don't think I would have been as offended had they designed their own poster and used different words.

I'm honestly shocked they really didn't see that this would cause so much upset! I have been a Christian and involved in churches all my life and I find it difficult to comprehend how a Christian charity thought it a good idea to commandeer a anti-homophobic poster to promote a therapy that The British Medical Association have said to be 'discredited and harmful to those 'treated'' and The Royal College of Psychiatrists have warned to creating 'a setting in which prejudice and discrimination flourish'. In addition, Professor Michael King, director of mental health sciences at University College London, has said stated that this 'bus promotion' 'underscore the stigma against gay and lesbian people that, somehow, they're ill and need to be healed'. He went on to say that 'the NHS would never pay for a treatment with this grade of evidence. It's just poor.' ( http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1060226 )


Basically, yes people have freedom of speech, but I believe it should be tasteful and far from prejudice. Most of the Christians I know believe in a loving God and that it's our job to reflect that love. To me these posters do not reflect love at all.

That is all.
^^ This.

I may have responded a bit more aggressively before, but I agree that this makes homosexuality seem like it is a disease which needs curing. This is simply not the case. Never has been. Never will be.

I'm not quite sure why people can't grasp that.





Just keep plodding onwards.

pixiedust_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
Fry
 
Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I am currently:

I agree.


Last edited by Tears and Rain : 21-04-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Removed deleted comment.



Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)


Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy
 
red_ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

I don't particularly care for what they say, but there are some geniuses that believed in Christianity. Bigots usually have their own issues, irrespective of their religion or even lack of religion.


Last edited by Tears and Rain : 21-04-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Removed deleted comment.
red_ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned
 
Abintra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your mum
I am currently:

i think they have the right to have the adds due to freedom of speech how ever i am also glad it was removed



To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned
 
Abintra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your mum
I am currently:

i love the ad though it is awesome 'not gay and proud get over it.'

because we all know the gays group together on a tuesday discussing to turn every one gay :P



To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general
 
Scaredy-cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The bottom of a well
I am currently:

That shouldnt have passed advertising standards though because the 'therapy' has more evidence for not working than working. So its false advertising



He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable


Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Scaredy-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #35
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned
 
Abintra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your mum
I am currently:

the group who created this ad are nothing but mindless sheep who believe that a book based on false happenings is really the word of god, so in my opinion who cares what crap they spin, anyone who would listen to them are just as dumb as them
*note this does not apply to all christians just the fools that created the ad*


Last edited by Abintra : 02-05-2012 at 05:54 AM.


To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:50 PM.

Back to top