Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
29M

I am currently:
It's my fault...

My best friend's brother has just recently started cutting. Nothing serious has happened. I feel somewhat responsible for this. What should I do? Should I talk to him about it? I know from personal experience I didn't want to talk about it with anyone. Should I inform his parents? I just feel so guilty...

29M is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Tig
Old 14-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Tig

I am currently:

Hey,

It is not your fault that your friends brother has started self harming. Would you blame somebody else for you starting to self harm? We have to take responsibility for our actions and it certainly isn't your responsibility.

I think it might be worth speaking to him about it, especially as you have the personal experience. I think there is a massive difference in speaking to someone you can relate to and who can relate to you. Perhaps you could bring it up with him in a casual manner and kind of leave the door open for him to approach you if he wants to?

How did you find out he was self harming? If his sister/brother already knows, are they able to support him? I don't think it's your responsibility to tell his parents but obviously if things seem to be getting totally out of control then it might be an idea to consider this.

x

Never give up on giving up

Tig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

do not blame yourself. for one, self harming is a choice (i know it doesn't feel that way, but it is) and no one forces anyone to do it. secondly, what makes you think that he got the idea from you, not someone else, or even that he got the idea from someone at all?

maybe you could direct him here somehow... so that you wouldn't have to be the one doing all the talking with him and he can go at his own pace.

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)