Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
irish

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - does it really matter?

i dont realy ever take much care of my cuts (i work with clay, swim in cloriene, play softball,ect with open wounds) and nothing bad has ever happened. i was just wondering if i have to take care of them or if its fine leaving them open.

-Scars by Papa Roach

If i died today would anyone care?

No matter who or where u are know that I love u

irish is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
WinterSparkles
Random person =]

I am currently:

Even if you're doing okay atm, the risk of infection is still high if you don't care for wounds. I think it also depends on the severity of your injuries as well, but if you got clay into any cuts then that would, most likely, make things a lot worse. Even if you don't go full out with bandages and stuff, just make sure you keep the area clean and away from clay and stuff x

www.LoveWillMoveUs.tumblr.com

My advice/support blog :)

WinterSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Animad
First Aid Advisor!

What I think is that you're very lucky. The chlorine will actually reduce infection as it's job in a pool is to kill bacteria however it will increase the time it takes for a wound to heal. Things like clay all harbour bacteria and also you could get bits of it in the wound which could cause further problems and could turn out really nasty. By no means are you immune from infection at all and really especially for activities such as using clay you should have the wound dressed (and with swimming it should be really for a public health point of view; if you look in a pool somewhere there is likely to be a sign, if only little, saying not to swim with open cuts).

You could argue that severity of wounds affects infection and yep, deeper wounds especially if gaping and ones with other factors are more likely to get infected however a wound of any type or any size can do; I've seen huge problems where the only thing we could put it down to was a tiny little scratch you'd think nothing of.

As said above, make sure you AT LEAST keep the areas clean and I'd also strongly suggest that you cover them up when dealing with clay/ play sports where you could get things in them. Your immune system can be ace against small scale infections but you don't want to keep chancing it as much as you are.

Wound Care Guide

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
irish

I am currently:

alright i guess ill keep better care of my wounds

-Scars by Papa Roach

If i died today would anyone care?

No matter who or where u are know that I love u

irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)