View Single Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

i do think that it is lying to say that you are clean from self harm. i also think that telling people that you are clean is hurting you because you are shutting off some of your chances to get help.

self harm (cutting, bruising, etc.) is a coping mechanism. it works very well in the short run, i can't deny that. if it didn't there wouldn't be nearly as many people on this site. in the long run though, it is a really terrible coping mechanism. it is dangerous, it makes the situation worse, hurts you and those around you, forces people into secrecy and shame, perpetuates bad feelings... the list goes on. it is very hard to quit self harming if you don't replace it with something, because you still need to cope somehow. it is important to ensure that you are replacing it with a positive and adaptive coping mechanism.

positive coping mechanisms generally let you express and work through your feelings and thoughts so that you can cope with them, or, they problem solve so that the situation gets better. things like art, music, writing, talking to others, and exercise, or a blend of some of them, can all be good coping mechanisms. can you think of anything that might work for you?

Last edited by PassedExpectations : 19-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote