View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
#{null}
Member of the secret police

Chat migration to Discord trial period

Hello all

As discussed in many threads, chat has become older, buggier, less secure and less supported and will continue to do so. Within a few years the chat software will be disabled from all major browsers.

We're going to try and use a Discord server instead. You can join this here:

http://discord.gg/NZBJNTh

To join the RecoverYourLife discord, please click this link, make an account. For now please use the same Username as your RYL username, or otherwise be sure to identify yourself in the Introductions channel.

Discord brings chat back into a modern conversation experience, which will be supported for many years. It gives us multiple device compatibility, notifications, the end to puffin on android, multiple room access, better customisation, you can even pay them and have a gif as your avatar.

I know that people tend to hate change, but chat has so many quirks that is becoming less and less accessible. It is less accessible than creating an account on another service now.

Q:A
When will chat fully migrate?
When the moderators believe it is ready to.

What will happen to chat?
Rooms will be deleted and you will be unable to send messages, with a link to this thread and Discord being displayed.

Does Discord work on x device?
Discord has a web interface and apps for all major platforms. This is a huge improvement over members currently using puffin on their phones to get into chat.

Can I still PM people?
Yes. Discord has a few options for this.
By default, you can accept PM's from anyone in the RYL room.
However, you can set it to only accept PM's from anyone on your friends list, which you must add them and they accept, or vice versa, to be.

Is Discord secure?
Far more secure than current chat.

Is Discord going to cost anything to RYL
Discord is a free service.

Is Discord going to cost me anything?
No. There is a paid option to discord which has a few very minor extra features - primarily animated avatars.

Can we integrate current RYL membership into discord?
Not without intervention from Harley, it is possible, but unlikely to happen.

Will infractions/bans work any different?
No. Moderation will remain the same, and members must be linked up with their RYL usernames.

Have the rules changed?
No. Although you can swear.

Has the moderator team changed in any way?
No.

Does Discord being a different service limit moderators powers?
Slightly. We cannot ban you entirely from Discord, but can remove you from the RYL server and channels. Private messages between members will be out of moderators hands, but if a member is frequently breaking RYL rules in private messages to other RYL members, where that member is being disturbed/upset enough to report it, we will infract them on RYL.

Isnt Discord a gaming/voice program?
Yes, but we're going to be using ONLY the chat features. Voice channels on RYL are disabled. The gaming features will be there but are supplimentary, at most you will be able to see why I'm not replying to your messages .

I don't use chat, should I join the Discord server?
Yes, now is a great time to get involved.

Is the room/channel structure going to stay the same?
Not necessarily, we're welcome to suggestions. Right now you can be in both general, and support. This means that support and general discussion no longer have to disrupt each other! A problem chat has faced for centuries! You can mute either channel if you don't want to be involved either.

How do I use discord?
Discord is simple at first, but has a lot of different settings all over the place. Please see their own documentation, but remembering we don't use the gaming/streaming/voice features.

Can we use the voice features?
Maybe on special occasions the moderators will enable a voice room for an evening of conversations. Much like how currently members will group together offsite on hangouts to converse.

What about the file sharing part of Discord and other features?
Those are disabled for now. Image embedding and such may come if we think it's sensible, but it makes trolling easier.

Can I really edit my message after sending it?
Yes, only your last message can be edited, and it is then stated with an edited point. Please only use this for typos. We know it's easy to abuse. That gets boring fast.

I'll reply to any questions here when they come in.

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited by #{null} : 22-09-2017 at 11:06 PM.

"It is possible to make no mistakes and lose. That is not failure; that is life."
-Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard

#{null} is offline   Reply With Quote