View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

Hi, I have a lot of experience of this... My self harm ideation and worst self harm episodes occur during PMS; things will all go completely and absoloutely down the plug hole then my period will occur and it will be all 'oh that explains it'. My mood also dramatically drops, I become emotionally tense, withdrawn and suicidal, I become impulsive like you say find harder to think things through. So you're not alone. Now one thing that helped me was going on the pill but it only helped for a couple of months I don't know how injections etc compare but it's something you could talk to your doctor about I know it can be embarrassing but they will listen because it's not that uncommon for mental health problems in women to be exacerbated during PMS. If you want to have your periods still there is a herbal option a legit one it's not a sugar pill which i've been taking for years and seriously notice the difference without it as i've tried going off it and I had all the symptoms above with a vengance. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it on here but if you're interested you can PM me and i'll give you the details. I know it's not for everyone so I won't be offended if you decide against it. Another thing I found helpful was writing a list of rational thoughts and distractions you could do during your PMS phase put it up on the fridge or the bathroom mirror or in the book you're reading somewhere you will notice and read it again and again. Write things like 'I may be wanting to self harm but this is because I'm going through PMS my hormones are causing this. It is a biological phase and will pass which means I don't have to self harm because the pain will be over soon.' and 'Instead of self harming I could write free association (I can explain this if you don't know what it is), have a bubble bath, cuddle with a hot water bottle (or teddy) and watch a favourite film. You get the gist, you can create your own version these were merely examples.

I don't know if i've been of any help but just know you're not alone, take care x

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote