View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Animad

MOST OF THIS POST IS POINTLESS KIM TALK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiebear View Post
Animad, please scold me if this is inappropriate. This is just a thought....

If you have a medium to large bust, it might be helpful if you wore a bra all day and night. So the weight of your breasts won't put stress on your sternum and ribs as your breasts move as you move.
Possibly... It depends where the fracture is and the type of fractures, in some cases it could put pressure on the worng place so this is the sort of thing that needs to be discussed with the medical staff/ establishment that treated you; the type of fracture/ position etc will be in their notes.

The reason for this is that if the wrong pressure is on any fracture, even tiny, it can worsen this significantly possibly to the extent of shattering or displacing. Now the sternum where it is means it is hard to stabilise without surgery and it will alway be under pressure; if someone has got a fracture of their forearm and it is just a crack or a relatively simple case it can be put in a plaster cast for a period of time and the person will then be fine after. This puts pressure on it and stops movement. A fracture of the sternum, movement around this area cannot be stopped as muscles will always be pulling on it. A cast tight enough (even if possible in that location which it isn't) to hold a break in place would erm end up the patient unable to breathe. PERFECT conditions for the fracture in terms of being in the right place to heal so long as done correctly... shame it would never heal as you'd die of not being able to breathe FAR before any healing began! So because of this you do have to be more careful and so discuss it with your medical team. Any forces to your spine/ sternum/ neck/ ribcage could worsen it, even thongs you don't think of such as twisting so keeping really still and careful is the way and talking to your doctor about things like bra's because though it may help some, on others it could put pressure in the wrong spot.

Presumably this is only a relatively mild crack that would heal, just be careful you don't make it worse or people like me might be rather happy as it means we can open you up and put a load of metal work inside you (no offence meant at all, I wouldn't want that happening, just saying fracture repair can be quite fun at times!)

(Yes, I have been doing a lot of work about fractures and yes, me writing this was getting up a lot of info about it out of my head, most of which is irrelevant! But yeh, even mild fractures can turn nasty if not careful and then it could come down to an orthopaedic team + a drill + a box of metal bits and bobs (I won't go into what coz that's not needed even if each method to do the job is now annoyingly going round my head)!)