View Single Post
Old 23-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
LRgrad15

When strangers sit next to you on public transit when there are lots of empty seats

I do not drive so I take public transit a lot. Subway and buses for various reasons, usually to meet with a friend. One thing I hate is when random strangers sit next to me when there are lots of empty seats available where they could easily have the row to themselves. I don't sit in the handicap seats in order to avoid inconveniencing a elderly person or someone who is disabled. I just find it weird when someone sits next to me while there are plenty of other options. I don't like it regardless, but I am more accepting and understanding when it is a crowded bus and someone has to sit next to me. Does anyone else hate it when someone sits next to them on a subway or bus?

In a way, I feel like it is proper etiquette to not invade someone's space unless you have to. If I walk onto a crowded bus, I always stand if there are no empty rows since I know a lot of other people hate it when random strangers sit next to them. I can see the looks on their faces and some will even go as far as to sit in the aisle seat to prevent anyone from sitting next to them. That may be going a little too far if it is a crowded bus. I never do that. But I still find it uncomfortable and weird when there are lots of other empty seats that they can have themselves but choose to sit next to me instead. This usually happens on the bus. On the subway, I usually sit in the single seats so I almost never have that problem. What do you think about sitting next to others or vise versa when there are plenty of other options available? Just wondered.